Need to find a new job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmlyDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduate undergrad with a BS in Biology and Chem minor in December, and will be applying for pharm school entering class of Fall 2014.

I've worked at the YMCA for 6 years starting at age 16, worked as a lifeguard for the first 3 years, then as a Fitness Attendant in the Fitness center for the past 3 years. But it's a dead end job, and it's pointless working there once I get my bachelors. What can I do that is more career oriented? I don't want to work in a retail pharmacy as a pharm tech because I don't think I'd be happy doing that, and with a pharmd I wouldn't want to work retail anyway. My goal is to have a new job by this December.

Members don't see this ad.

I would keep your job and save up or get paid internship if you can

Last edited:
If you're not interested in working as a pharm tech (which is rather concerning), I don't know what other type of job you can expect to find that is more "career oriented." Frankly, you'd be better off staying at your current job since you've already been there 3 years. Working the same job for 3 years shows more ambition and dedication than quitting a job in the hope that you'll find something else.

Out of curiosity, what type of pharmacy experience do you have since you haven't worked as a pharm tech?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any prior experience, but I want to get a pharmD then do a residency in pharmacy informatics. I admit, you make a good point that being a pharmacy technician would help with clinical experience, problem is I don't think anyone would hire me if they knew I was only going to work 6 months then quit and go off to pharmacy school.

See if you can find an independent pharmacy that will accept you as a paid intern. They DO expect you to stay 6 months then quit and go off to pharmacy school.

See if you can find an independent pharmacy that will accept you as a paid intern. They DO expect you to stay 6 months then quit and go off to pharmacy school.

Not sure what state you are in but to be an "intern" requires you to have an intern license which is given out by your states department of health. Which requires one to be enrolled in a pharmacy program to be eligible for an intern license. Not sure if the varys by state. But I'm pretty sure most if not all have this requirement.

Reactions: 1 user