Need to get laptop for Dental School 13 '' or 15 '' Macbook pro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonofswan93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I am in the market for a laptop for dental school this August, and was deciding between the macbook pro 13 '' or 15 ''. However I haven't been able to decide between the two as I have never had a macbook pro before. Would the extra size of the 15" be hard to handle in dental school or will the extra processing power of the i7 be advantageous? What do you guys use?

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever feels light in your backpack... I have a 13 inch PC and that's probably the best size. Also, you might want to check if your school has any laptop requirements.
I would also highly recommend i7.

Reactions: 1 user
Whatever feels light in your backpack... I have a 13 inch PC and that's probably the best size. Also, you might want to check if your school has any laptop requirements.
I would also highly recommend i7.
Thank you so much! I guess the minimum requirements are a 13'' macbook pro 512 gb i5. But I will definately take the i7 advice into consideration! Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
get 13, use extra money for external monitor at home.

Reactions: 4 users
If I have a macbook pro 15" from mid 2012, do you think it's necessary to buy a new one (assuming it fits the requirements for my school)? its runs well (not incredibly fast) but no major issues aside from being slightly heavier and slower

If I have a macbook pro 15" from mid 2012, do you think it's necessary to buy a new one (assuming it fits the requirements for my school)? its runs well (not incredibly fast) but no major issues aside from being slightly heavier and slower

I have a 2011. Before i started school, I put in an SSD hard drive, ram and new battery. Very easy to put in with videos on youtube.

I have a 2011. Before i started school, I put in an SSD hard drive, ram and new battery. Very easy to put in with videos on youtube.
Awesome! Did this help speed up your laptop and give you extra space? Sorry I am not good with computers, but this seems simple and cost-effective also

Awesome! Did this help speed up your laptop and give you extra space? Sorry I am not good with computers, but this seems simple and cost-effective also

very much so.

Memory helps with multitasking. I would be comfortable with 8gb, you can push it to 16 gb.

SSD hard drive was a night and day difference. Felt like a new computer.

Reactions: 1 user
This is dell vs Mac. You can spend the same amount of money on a Mac and get a more inferior product. The ones I have attached are more high end, but you can see how much better and cheaper other brands are besides the mac.

Better hardware will future proof your laptop to last longer. Also take in to account refurbished vs new. Every refurbished laptop I have purchased worked like it was new.

We can get into mac hype debate, but I purchase my tech based on specs and not brands.

13" will be great for class and the 15" is great outside of the classroom.

Attachments

• IMG_3649.PNG
    IMG_3649.PNG
    236.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3650.PNG
    IMG_3650.PNG
    182.8 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: 1 users
This is dell vs Mac. You can spend the same amount of money on a Mac and get a more inferior product. The ones I have attached are more high end, but you can see how much better and cheaper other brands are besides the mac.

Better hardware will future proof your laptop to last longer. Also take in to account refurbished vs new. Every refurbished laptop I have purchased worked like it was new.

We can get into mac hype debate, but I purchase my tech based on specs and not brands.

Is there an iMessage equivalent on windows? My classmates and I send countless notes and images on iMessage.

A quick google search says yes, I've never personally used it.

I've spent all morning contemplating this stuff too. Mac, dell, 2 in 1 laptop. I can't decide if a touch screen and stylus will be appropriate for note taking or not.

A quick google search says yes, I've never personally used it.

I've spent all morning contemplating this stuff too. Mac, dell, 2 in 1 laptop. I can't decide if a touch screen and stylus will be appropriate for note taking or not.

I see some people highlight things with occasional scribble. You're going to be typing 90% of the time.

Just make sure you can use iMessage on dell. I still see my windows friend still look at his phone at the docs i send. i'd buy a macbook for iMessage alone for dental school.

My classmates and I have used group me so nobody is left out regardless of operating system.

Stats wise the Windows PC's are superior, however the Mac is superior when it comes to optimization. I used to do heavy VFX work on high performance windows computers and after two years they naturally started to slow down, BSOD, crash, you name it (Including a PC I built myself). Have had a Macbook 13' and minus a very annoying issue at the beginning I haven't had a hitch. If OP is just gonna use their computer for school and Netflix, I would get the Mac.

15''

Had the 13" MacBook Pro in dental school, just graduated and got the 13" touchpad MacBook Pro from sister as grad gift - ran to Best Buy and exchanged it for the 15" touch pad - why cause I'm sick of studying all day on a small screen, 15" way better for studying purposes. My 2 cent

Edit: I lost a ton of vision after the first year from staring at a small screen, it did come back but get the large screen with retina.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
15. You get anything smaller you're gonna regret it. Can't stand looking at those things.

15''

Had the 13" MacBook Pro in dental school, just graduated and got the 13" touchpad MacBook Pro from sister as grad gift - ran to Best Buy and exchanged it for the 15" touch pad - why cause I'm sick of studying all day on a small screen, 15" way better for studying purposes. My 2 cent

Edit: I lost a ton of vision after the first year from staring at a small screen, it did come back but get the large screen with retina.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

15. You get anything smaller you're gonna regret it. Can't stand looking at those things.

why not get an external monitor ?

why not get an external monitor ?

I was thinking about getting an imac this time, but I know I am going to be on the go, so it was more practical to get a lap top that I could take to the library, use during lecture, etc...but if your someone who strictly studies at home, its not a bad idea.