May 28, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi
I have a 2.6 undergraduate gpa from biomedical engineering, and a 32R MCAt
I have gotten accepted into Ross University which is an island school.I have gotten rejected from 8 US MD schools and I am waiting to hear back from Columbia Basset and Uconn (pre-interview hold)

I am not sure if I should go out of the country and attend this university or should I stay and take a MS course and improve my gpa. Even if I had to I would have to take 63 credits to improve my gpa to a 3.0. Is it worth it or should I just go ahead and spend 16 months in the island?

**** My undergraduate gpa sucks because of multiple reasons which I dont want to discuss so please dont bash it, I know its bad.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
if i were you, i'd reapply next year with a better GPA and apply much, much more broadly (also, i'd consider adding DO schools). i personally don't think the risk of going to the Caribbean is worth it but there will be others who disagree with me. good luck!

medschoolfamily

OMS-IV
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2009
Neither here, nor there
Status
Medical Student
I don't really know what to tell you. Upon looking at your MDapp profile, it appears that you didn't apply anywhere near broadly enough. You have schools like harvard, ucla, BU, cornell, and others. With your GPA, you would need an outstanding MCAT, and while 32 is very good, it's not good enough to offset your GPA. You might have a chance at some lower tier schools, but since I didn't see any on your profile, it's difficult to assess your situation. I guess I would take Ross U if I were in your shoes and be happy you got in. If you want to re-apply, I wouldn't do it with a GPA below 3.0 and I would apply very early and extremely broad (definitely including DO schools). Good luck with whatever you choose!

Edit: I forgot to mention this, but it's alot easier to raise GPA for DO schools since they allow grade replacement, just a thought.

Last edited:

JoshUNCW

Comp Sci Geek
Nov 1, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, I think you applied to schools way out for for a 2.6GPA. Not to be offensive, but those are reach schools with your GPA. And that's all you applied to... You could have atleast applied to some lower tier/"easier" schools.

What I would say is retake classes, raise GPA to ABOVE a 3.0 and apply to D.O. schools. If you hate DO or have some BIAS, go to Ross U. Because I don't think you'll get into US MD. But, I think Ross U is a horrible idea. I think the only good idea you really have is to replace grades and get into DO school and just kick ass there.

MiniMoo

5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2010
California
Status
Medical Student
I think the fastest way to med school for you would be the DO route (you'd need to retake coursework to bring up your GPA in this case) or the Caribbean which comes with a big set of risks. MD schools aren't totally out for you, but you'd probably need years of damage control -- taking classes to raise the GPA to ~3.0 and then maybe doing an SMP. Then you'd need to apply really broadly. Just up to you what your goals are, what risks you're willing to take, and the timeline you're operating under. Personally, I would go DO in this case.

Jan 18, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hi
I have a 2.6 undergraduate gpa from biomedical engineering, and a 32R MCAt
I have gotten accepted into Ross University which is an island school.I have gotten rejected from 8 US MD schools and I am waiting to hear back from Columbia Basset and Uconn (pre-interview hold)

I am not sure if I should go out of the country and attend this university or should I stay and take a MS course and improve my gpa. Even if I had to I would have to take 63 credits to improve my gpa to a 3.0. Is it worth it or should I just go ahead and spend 16 months in the island?

**** My undergraduate gpa sucks because of multiple reasons which I dont want to discuss so please dont bash it, I know its bad.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
I'm sorry, man, but with your 2.6 and your lack of knowledge to apply to schools which you might actually have a SMALL chance of scrapping an interview from I only have one piece of advice for you...

Find a new career.

Jul 13, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I think the fastest way to med school for you would be the DO route (you'd need to retake coursework to bring up your GPA in this case) or the Caribbean which comes with a big set of risks. MD schools aren't totally out for you, but you'd probably need years of damage control -- taking classes to raise the GPA to ~3.0 and then maybe doing an SMP. Then you'd need to apply really broadly. Just up to you what your goals are, what risks you're willing to take, and the timeline you're operating under. Personally, I would go DO in this case.
I think this is pretty sound advice. :thumbup:

Ischemic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I would honestly suggest that you exhaust all possible chance here in the US first before heading out into the islands. Your best bet is to do an SMP-type program because you have a decent MCAT to boost your rather low GPA. Bust your ass and do well in the SMP and your chances go up. See the postbac forum. Also, when you reapply next year, as someone already said, apply DO also because you'll also have a good chance. They teach you basically the same thing as MD schools and offer the same specialties as MD schools. Why am I so adamant against going to carib schools? Check out this article.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/medicine/article1061189.ece

It's about Ross. Slightly biased I know as Ross graduates are all over the place, but chances of you failing is also bigger there compared to US MD/DO schools. Weigh your options carefully OP, this decision can impact you down the line.

If you want, you can ask for a 1 year deferment from Ross as you do an SMP and reapply broadly. At least you'll have a plan C when your plan B falls through after your plan A fails.

MiniMoo

5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2010
California
Status
Medical Student
^ Don't forget that many SMPs have GPA cutoffs. Most are around 3.0. So the OP would first have to bring her GPA up to an acceptable range before applying.

May 28, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
First of all : Thanks much to everyone!

I am considering applying to aSMP program and hoping that they can relax their cutoffs.
2nd option i am considering is doing MS in biomed sciences since that gels with my background so far.

Any SMP programs that are not GPA loving? :)

MiniMoo

5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2010
California
Status
Medical Student
First of all : Thanks much to everyone!

I am considering applying to aSMP program and hoping that they can relax their cutoffs.
2nd option i am considering is doing MS in biomed sciences since that gels with my background so far.

Any SMP programs that are not GPA loving? :)
That might be possible if your GPA was a 2.98 or something, but your GPA is several tenths lower than a 3.0 cutoff. However, I do think there may be one or two programs out there with no minimum GPA. Look in the post-baccalaureate forum. There's a wealth of info there.

May 28, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok so I have a couple of questions

Do SMPs guarantee admission or interview at the very least? Do those credits count towards the gpa?

Any SMP that you suggest for someone in my situation?

Mar 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok so I have a couple of questions

Do SMPs guarantee admission or interview at the very least?
Some SMPs do guarantee atleast an interview if you do really well in their program. Search for SMP programs in the search bar and you should get tons of information.

Do those credits count towards the gpa?
SMP credits do not count in your undergraduate GPA calculations on AMCAS because they are graduate level courses. However, AMCAS does list these courses separately under graduate GPA.

Any SMP that you suggest for someone in my situation?
Most SMPs require a minimum GPA of 3.0. You have to first raise your GPA closer to 3.0 before applying to any SMPs. Look at programs like Georgetown, UCinn, etc.

Good luck!

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Or:

-Do well in RossU (4 yrs)
-Do well in an IM/FP residency (3 yrs)
-Reapply for another residency.

Just a thought...

mdfirst

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical

ImNotBritish

10+ Year Member
May 11, 2007
Status
While I wouldn't normally be a big fan of the overseas schools, in your case I think that might be your best option. Like you said, it would take you 2 full years from now at all As to get you to a 3.0. If you came back and asked for advice at that point, the answer would still be that you'd have an uphill battle. Instead, you could dedicate yourself 100% to doing awesome at Ross, which is a sure thing at this point. It is possible to have a successful education and career as an overseas grad if you put in the effort (2 of the ER docs I work with are Ross grads). Also, you've got to think about keeping your MCAT score current; if you were to spend a few years trying to bring your GPA up, that shiny score could expire in the meantime and your strongest asset would be a moot point.

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2007
Ischioanal fossa
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dude do you gamble by any chance?? For ur school list U threw a super-uber-very-uber HAIL MARY!! There's nothing worng with being optismistic but some realism is also good. You wasted ur time/money with this application...

If u want to stay in the US DON'T do an MS, do an informal or formal postbac, and keep strengthening ur overall application. Finally do ur homework b4 selecting schools..

May 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
So OP, I have a very good story for you.

I had a 2.7 uGPA (from a top US university majoring in Chemical Engineering), and a 33 MCAT (10 VS, 12 BS, 11 PS).

I had a very good health professions adviser that worked with me over 3 years (senior yr, then 2 years after). His recommendation for me was to do a MS. Why? I had taken all the pre-med requirements so I was not eligible for the traditional post-bacc (the ones where you were an English major and decided to do medicine). That course work would count as your uGPA.

The MS, would be a step up - graduate level sciences with a chance to take actual medical school courses against 1st year medical students. What better way to compare yourself for admissions directors, right?

Now their are cutoffs for min GPA's for those post-baccs. The one that is really strict about that is Georgetown SMP. Most other schools say min gpa 3.0, but they really just accept you if they think you will get into medical school.

So I applied to 7 or so of these degree (MS) granting schools where I could take medical school courses as a grad student. I was accepted at 2 and WL at another one. I did not apply to Georgetown.

I picked one, got a 4.0 gGPA. With "Honors" in two medical school courses (physio, and biochem).

So far so good right? Well not exactly. It seems that even though I did very well and seem to be a very solid candidate for medical school (throw out top schools - not going to happen, need those stellar #'s) some schools have to have a min uGPA of at least a 3.0 to even be allowed to offer an interview. F-ck! Some schools don't however. So my plan (along w/ my advisor and some advice from an admissions director at a good med school) was once I finished my MS, apply. While that cycle is going - take as a non-matriculant as many EASY SCIENCE undergrad courses and get all A's (ones that have not already taken - just a different course title) as you can. Now this takes time and $ - and not kidding all A's. And if I don't get in the 1st time, then I'll have enough credits of A's to raise my uGPA.

So availability is a huge issue. I opted for online classes. Can take them anytime at some. Can take them on a quarter system. UCLA extension was great for me - EASY SCIENCE - I got 8 3cr A's by the time my life changed.

So I applied to 18 schools (15 MD & 3 DO). I did all of the secondaries at the DO & 9 secondaries at the MDs (I didn't do all of them b/c I found out which ones had that min 3.0 uGPA bs).

I got one interview at a DO (nothing from the other two) --> WL and never got in.

I got 3 interviews at MDs --> 2 WL, and finally 1 straight accpetance. Turns out I got in off one of the WL and I took that spot (mid-teir school, great matches)

So I got in my first try. No need to continue that uGPA raising plan. Although those 8 classes online and about $5,000 were for nothing (although I told the schools what I was doing - so maybe it helped at the time).

OP - I merely offer my story to you. I don't know what to tell you to do. In hindsight I see A LOT of caribbean school MDs that are matching and doing competitive residencies, so if I could do it all over again I probably would have still done grad school. Given it 1 try (no uGPA work). Then done caribbean. And I was THIS close to doing DO (if they would accept me). It is all about drive (in whatever school you do) and what you are willing to sacrifice (years, $, life).

I honestly could write a book on this - I have some more crazy stories that I left out b/c this is way to fn long.

OP you can PM me if need.

May 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Dude do you gamble by any chance?? For ur school list U threw a super-uber-very-uber HAIL MARY!! There's nothing worng with being optismistic but some realism is also good. You wasted ur time/money with this application...

If u want to stay in the US DON'T do an MS, do an informal or formal postbac, and keep strengthening ur overall application. Finally do ur homework b4 selecting schools..
Ha 1st paragraph is right on.

2nd no. See my story. Not sure what an "informal/formal" postbacc is. Technically any academic work done after you obtain an undergrad degree is deemed postbacc. Unless of course its taking undergrad classes - which would count as you uGPA.

Dude (to no one in particular) I spent hours w/ the dudes at the AMCAS helpcenter to work out details. Crazy sh-t.

IDoIt4Love

Breathe...just believe.
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Status
Medical Student
If you really just want to be an M.D. (and not a D.O. or anything else):
Go to Ross. Ross is not a bad school; probably one of the better Caribbean ones, and you only need to spend 2 years on the island, and then you come back to Florida and finish there. My mom is a physician and trains internal medicine residents from around the country at her hospital. When I was applying to med schools, she even told me, that if I couldn't get in somewhere else, go to Ross, because her residents from Ross were actually very experienced and did well.

That, and wasting years on chasing an expensive masters degree, only to still reapply with dismal stats isn't worth it, IMO.

If you really just want to stay in America for medical school:
Have you considered DO schools? Perhaps your life experiences will make you a better applicant in their holistic selection process than you would be to MD schools. If DO is an option for you, you will still need to take some classes for a GPA boost, as a 2.6 just isn't good enough to get into any kind of medical school in America. However, with a 3.0, you may have a much better chance with D.O. schools than with M.D. schools

No matter what though, if you DO reapply, APPLY BROADLY. Apply everywhere you could imagine going. You never know who's gonna see something in your application and take you; it's a really random crapshoot process.

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
DO schools would be your best option. If I were you I would get a job, medically related, preferably something interesting. Make some money this year. Beef up clinical experience and volunteer activity. Reapply next year broadly to DO schools. Apply to only a few MD schools, lower tier and your state schools. Be willing to travel. Don't apply to Harvard.

Being a US DO is a waaay better option than a Ross MD. Match is getting harder every year, and those DO students MATCH. They even have a large number of DO only residencies. Get over the letters, it doesn't make any difference. You are lucky enough to have a decent MCAT score, and your GPA is bad, but it won't preclude you from a US school if you apply wisely and really kick ass to beef up your application in other ways, get some sick letters of rec, and kill it on interviews. You may have to apply a few times. Time to think about how badly you want to be a doctor. If your dream career is dependent on the letters after your name, you don't really want it that badly.