Need to purchase a commute car for the practice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

101N

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a practice with several satellites that I drive to once or twice a week. I'm putting about 40K/yr on my vehicles with commutes between offices. I'm looking for recommendations on a new rig.

I need something that gets good mileage and will be reliable enough to withstand 40K/yr for 5yrs.

TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

Ive been using a Kia forte koup and it's just fun. Comes with Bluetooth stereo and has been perfect for mt commute. Also take turns riding 85 Honda nighthawk s, 78 Jeep J10, and BMW S1000rr.

Members don't see this ad :)
Infiniti G 25 or 35, used or new, or ? Diesel rabbit or Jetta. I always wanted to buy one of those old crown vic ex-cop cars, those are indestructable, but the wife ruled that one out years ago. As mentioned above Kia has come a long way and Hyundai as well.

fwiw: conventional wisdom days to always buy used, low miles, late model, etc. I have bought new for the last few cycles, either cash or by low interest rate always paired with cash back, plus negotiate an invoice deal, etc. and buy a vehicle that has high resale and I sell it before it needs any maintenance so just change the oil a few times and end up with the equiv. of a 150/month, no down lease on a good vehicle. If you look at what they charge for used subarus, toyotas, lexus, etc. I dont see the value in buying used, esp from a dealer.

you can reimburse yourself the mileage tax-free - so from a tax point of view, buy yourself a cheap vehicle with great MPG, and you will be able to extract tax free money out of your practice.

would suggest a Diesel VW - those are getting 40-50mpg on the highway.

Thanks for your replies.

I've been a Honda guy for a couple of decades but I think I'm moving on. Looked at the Accord & Civic and neither one does it for me. Looked @ and drove a Prius but, well, I just don't think that's up my alley either.

Like the VW diesel's a lot- wagon & new Passat. Also liked the CC. Gonna drive a CC, couple of Fords, Hyundai Sonata, Kia, and maybe an Acura TSX.

Looking to spend around $30K - $35K.

Nissan Leaf carrying around 1200 rechargeable "D" cells in the trunk just in case.....

I drive too far for a Leaf and Hybrids strike me as kinda rickity. I like the torque on those diesels though.

But I'm just to frugal - cheap - to drive something fancy. Besides, I've got kids heading to college.

Get yourself a Lexus ES 350 w/nav package. Have them throw in satellite radio.
Within your price range, extremely reliable, cost effective, very nice ride and has a lot of power :D

+1 for Acura TSX.
Reliable, comfortable, reasonable power (200hp), great value/service/resale. I was gonna say the Lexus ES but that's above what you want to spend.

You can get a top of the line Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited PZEV for around 32K. 29 MPG, very nice, AWD and very reliable.

Audi A5 Quattro Cabriolet

Members don't see this ad :)
What all can you write off? I have three places of business: Two clinics in different cities and an ASC. It is financially beneficial to get a high MPG car or can I go for a sweet ride with power? Do you get the car lease on the business or personally? Sorry for the basic questions.

I drive too far for a Leaf and Hybrids strike me as kinda rickity. I like the torque on those diesels though.

But I'm just to frugal - cheap - to drive something fancy. Besides, I've got kids heading to college.

get something sensible. That seems to be a brand new BMW 7 series around here...

get something sensible. That seems to be a brand new BMW 7 series around here...

1+. This is sound advice.

So my time line is a year. Got a Honda Fit that me and the wife are driving on commutes for a year - too darn noisy and small for my tastes- before we give it to the daughter for her commutes to HS. Wife commutes several hundred miles 1/D/wk to an executive MBA program every I commute to my satellite clinics every week. Next summer I've got to buy a new rig.

Thus far I've driven a 2012 Volkswagen Passat and wagon. Both VERY nice cars with the turbo diesel engine. The Passat freaking humongous, if somewhat pedestrian. The wagon, well kinda more of the same. Both nice rigs, cheap, good mileage, reliable. Word on the street is that they are boring. Well, so am I.

Turns out that there is a Hyundai shop next to the Volkswagen dealer in town- actually the same dealer - so I saw a 'Sonata'. Jeebus that thing's got more extras than you can shake a stick at: twin spool turbo w/274 hp, voice everything, heated seats, crap you-name-it it's got it. All for around $30K. Drove the turbo, it lays down the beejeebus! Faster, waay, than the wifey's BMW 325i. Unless some miracle happens, this is the new rig.

And, I'm an old dude who remembers the Hyundai's of the 1980s, pieces of cr*p they were. But things change...

Looked at, but didn't drive the Volkswagen cc. Sexy, kinda cool. Will drive it soon. Will drive whatever you guys/gals suggest and report back. But, I'm like DockShark, frugal. Don't need no Lexus, Infinity, Acura, BMW, etc.

im frugal, BUT...

I got an infiniti G37xs...

my only splurge. and its not really that much of a splurge, but i love every second of driving it. 330ish horses. Nav is great, bluetooth is great. voice everything. 18 inch wheels. no cooled seats though... but still the best tech car for the money in my opinion. also i still get 25-26 mpg on the HWY, where i am 90% of my time. and i got it UNDER 40k new. not much, but still under...it improved my golf game, and made me able to play piano.

but still HALF (almost) of what a seven series will run...

1+. This is sound advice.

So my time line is a year. Got a Honda Fit that me and the wife are driving on commutes for a year - too darn noisy and small for my tastes- before we give it to the daughter for her commutes to HS. Wife commutes several hundred miles 1/D/wk to an executive MBA program every I commute to my satellite clinics every week. Next summer I've got to buy a new rig.

Thus far I've driven a 2012 Volkswagen Passat and wagon. Both VERY nice cars with the turbo diesel engine. The Passat freaking humongous, if somewhat pedestrian. The wagon, well kinda more of the same. Both nice rigs, cheap, good mileage, reliable. Word on the street is that they are boring. Well, so am I.

Turns out that there is a Hyundai shop next to the Volkswagen dealer in town- actually the same dealer - so I saw a 'Sonata'. Jeebus that thing's got more extras than you can shake a stick at: twin spool turbo w/274 hp, voice everything, heated seats, crap you-name-it it's got it. All for around $30K. Drove the turbo, it lays down the beejeebus! Faster, waay, than the wifey's BMW 325i. Unless some miracle happens, this is the new rig.

And, I'm an old dude who remembers the Hyundai's of the 1980s, pieces of cr*p they were. But things change...

Looked at, but didn't drive the Volkswagen cc. Sexy, kinda cool. Will drive it soon. Will drive whatever you guys/gals suggest and report back. But, I'm like DockShark, frugal. Don't need no Lexus, Infinity, Acura, BMW, etc.

Hyundai may be fast but the VW's drive a lot different (that German plugged into the road feel vs. the lighter more disconnected Japanese feel), the resale value on the deisels is insanely high, and the new designs, moonrrofs etc. are quite nice. If you want speed + price + handling + MPG what about the GTI?

Hyundai may be fast but the VW's drive a lot different (that German plugged into the road feel vs. the lighter more disconnected Japanese feel), the resale value on the deisels is insanely high, and the new designs, moonrrofs etc. are quite nice. If you want speed + price + handling + MPG what about the GTI?

I like the appearance of the GTI but it's too small for my tastes. I like the CC, diesel wagon, and new Passat.

I like the appearance of the GTI but it's too small for my tastes. I like the CC, diesel wagon, and new Passat.

The VW jetta sportwagen diesel loaded is a very nice vehicle. I came close to buying one until I test drove a Jeep GC 2011. I never thought I'd buy an american car, forget a Jeep product. I sacrificed MPG for 4wd, which is key where I live.

I lived w/o lots of snow/ice I would have bought the VW. That sunroof is sweet.

The VW jetta sportwagen diesel loaded is a very nice vehicle. I came close to buying one until I test drove a Jeep GC 2011. I never thought I'd buy an american car, forget a Jeep product. I sacrificed MPG for 4wd, which is key where I live.

That sunroof has BIG feet:)

I've got a 2010 cc, loaded, heated seats, bluetooth, v6, navigation, vr 4 motion etc...got it as a dealer hold over for 33K.

Commuting between my businesses racked up almost 30k miles last year. It consistently gets over 30mpg every tank. Pretty sweet ride. Test drove a 3 series, a4, and g37. All are good cars but the price point, warranty, and extras threw the cc over the edge for me. Love the car.

http://www.forbes.com/2011/02/08/best-cars-for-commuters-business-autos.html

The Best Cars For Commuters, 2011

Hannah Elliott, 02.08.11, 3:10 PM ET
Dreading your daily drive to the office? You're not alone. More than 42 million Americans spend at least 30 minutes in the car on their morning commutes. Seven million spend over an hour.

For that kind of time spent in traffic, it pays to have a reliable car: something spacious enough for comfort, small enough to get good gas mileage and durable enough to withstand the occasional fender-bender.

Turns out you may not have to empty your wallet to get such a ride. According to our list of the Best Cars for Commuters, this year mid-size sedans like the $19,395 Hyundai Sonata and hatchbacks like the $20,100 MINI Cooper are best for surviving the slog.

To compile our list, we started with new vehicles listed as Consumer Reports "Recommended Picks" for this year. Recommended Picks are models that have average or better predicted reliability and that meet Consumer Reports' safety standards; they also had to have performed well in accelerating, braking, handling, comfort and other user-oriented tests.

Then we combined the highway miles per gallon (the CR-rated numbers) for each vehicle with their front legroom and front headroom measurements, assigning one point for each mile per gallon and one point for each inch of space, for a grand total score. Of those finalists, the 11 vehicles with the best combination of highway fuel efficiency, legroom and headroom made our list.

We didn't put any price limit on the automotive contenders, since there are cars at any price point that can be great on a morning commute, but interestingly all of our finalists cost well under $30,000, and all the cars on the list without the added price of hybrid technology cost less than $25,000.

The reason for that skew toward lower retail pricing is the emphasis we placed on fuel efficiency--most luxury sedans and crossovers weigh more than their less-glamorous counterparts, decreasing their average mpg. The hybrids, though heavier and more expensive than their conventional brethren, still achieved good enough gas mileage and reliability scores to make the ranking.

Our winner? The $23,050 Toyota Prius. Consumer Reports rates it at 55 highway miles per gallon and praises it for its firm, steady ride and roomy rear seat. The car has proved extremely reliable in the 10 years since it launched--just ask Jake Fisher.

Fisher, the senior automotive engineer for Consumer Reports, recently tested a 2001 Prius that had 210,000 miles on it.

"We did our fuel efficiency test and a bunch of other tests on that car," Fisher says. "It had never had a problem with the hybrid system, never had a problem with the electric motor, the batteries or anything. And it had the exact same fuel efficiency that it had when we tested one in 2001."

That's exactly what you want to hear about a commuter car. Indeed, three hybrids including the Honda Civic Hybrid and Toyota Camry Hybrid made our list. They excel at ironing out the volatility between city and highway driving efficiency, and they have proved extremely reliable over the long run (though they command a price premium over their conventional counterparts).

Two diesel-powered cars soared through our testing as well: the $23,225 Volkswagen Golf TDI and $24,995 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon TDI. Each get phenomenal highway mileage (49 mpg each) without sacrificing headroom and legroom inside. Diesel technology works well for commuter vehicles too, for while it does often command a slightly higher MSRP than regular gasoline-fueled cars, it gets up to 20% better efficiency and retains a high resale value.

"Diesel sales in the U.S. industry grew 11% last year, while hybrid sales declined," says Audi of American President Johan de Nysschen (Audi is a subsidiary of Volkswagen Group). "People have come to understand that hybrid technology is not the only solution."

Missing from our list: the crossovers, SUVs and minivans many families use to haul kids, gear and groceries. Turns out many of those types of vehicles have the same (or even less) space in front than some of the sedans on our list, and much worse fuel efficiency.

The Ford Expedition, for instance, has 40 inches of front leg room and 4 inches of front headroom--less than both the Mazda3 (41 and 4.5 inches) and the Honda Accord (41.5 and 6.5 inches), both of which made our list.

the 2011 Jeep GC overland is SWEET!!!!!

I have a practice with several satellites that I drive to once or twice a week. I'm putting about 40K/yr on my vehicles with commutes between offices. I'm looking for recommendations on a new rig.

I need something that gets good mileage and will be reliable enough to withstand 40K/yr for 5yrs.

TIA.

here's my advice. Work hard, own your business, and purge on yourself..... only the entitled benefit, if you don't write off and maximize business expenses.

I drive 18 miles a day, and consume 12miles/gallon with my RR sport and love it... God bless america.

the 2011 Jeep GC overland is SWEET!!!!!

Not looking to hijack or turn this into an SUV thread. I actually have the base Laredo 4x4 but it is still quite nice. Not too many people realize the 2011 GC/durango are both built on the mercedes ML350 platform. If you drive one, you will be impressed, esp for the $$.

Not looking to hijack or turn this into an SUV thread. I actually have the base Laredo 4x4 but it is still quite nice. Not too many people realize the 2011 GC/durango are both built on the mercedes ML350 platform. If you drive one, you will be impressed, esp for the $$.

also not looking to hijack, but i bought my wife one last month...i tried to get her to get the GC without the overland...but well, i bought the overaland. i did not, however, get the summit package. the nav sucks!

otherthan that, i love it. they made it look imposing!

i am seeming less frugal with every post...

Kia/Hyundai have a 5 yr, 50K mile bumper-bumper warranty, 10yr, 100K powertrain warranty. That's tough to beat. They are decent commuters. I have the 2011 Kia Sorento (own),. Good mileage when I keep it in the 'econo' mode (supposedly limits the use of cylinders 5 and 6) so it averages 23-24 mpg for a big-as$ suv.

Volkswagens look boring to me, overpriced.

I'm too young to waste money on a luxury car, would rather save that money for earlier retirement.

you guys should remember the tax benefits of mileage

if you have long business commutes - let's say 20k miles/yr then you can reimburse yourself about 10k (not taxable) per year... so if you are driving a used car (15k and pay it off), and your MPG is about 20, your gas will cost about $4k/yr - add 1k/yr for maintenace, and another 1k/yr for insurance ... once your car is paid off, you are actually making 4k/yr in (untaxable) money off our business...

if the business owns the car and you get into a car accident, how well can you protect your business assets from attachment from a creditor if you get sued?

whereas, if your car is owned by an LLC that is separate from your home and other assets, and you get sued, what can they do? not much...

food for thought.

if you have long business commutes - let's say 20k miles/yr then you can reimburse yourself about 10k (not taxable) per year... so if you are driving a used car (15k and pay it off), and your MPG is about 20, your gas will cost about $4k/yr - add 1k/yr for maintenace, and another 1k/yr for insurance ... once your car is paid off, you are actually making 4k/yr in (untaxable) money off our business...

if the business owns the car and you get into a car accident, how well can you protect your business assets from attachment from a creditor if you get sued?

whereas, if your car is owned by an LLC that is separate from your home and other assets, and you get sued, what can they do? not much...

food for thought.

This is all I'm trying to accomplish. If I buy a reliable rig for 30-35K. Finance it for 4 or 5 yrs, and drive it for 200K I can nearly write off the cost.

food for thought.

my understanding is unless you commute to more than one office, the primary commute, cannot be written off...
so if you go to one office, you cannot write it off. am i wrong, my accountant tells me this is the case, i think. i will verify i did not misunderstand...

my understanding is unless you commute to more than one office, the primary commute, cannot be written off...
so if you go to one office, you cannot write it off. am i wrong, my accountant tells me this is the case, i think. i will verify i did not misunderstand...

You are correct. I lease space with a few primary care offices and at a NS buddy of mine. What' I'm writing off is my commute BETWEEN those offices.

BTW: leasing space and commuting is a good way to go, particularly in rural environments. Flank the competition.

That'll come back to bite me I'm sure:)

If you're going to make the commute, then do it in style. All that training for a Kia or a Honda? Or even a used car at that? Instead, think Italian, German or English. Want something quiet? Perhaps a Bentley may suit you best. Want something fast and sporty? Don't look any further than a Lamborghini. Of course, make sure to have all the options added and consider customization! :)

If you're going to make the commute, then do it in style. All that training for a Kia or a Honda? Or even a used car at that? Instead, think Italian, German or English. Want something quiet? Perhaps a Bentley may suit you best. Want something fast and sporty? Don't look any further than a Lamborghini. Of course, make sure to have all the options added and consider customization! :)

Where I live - rural America - seeing a physician in a fancy european car sends the wrong message to patients. Modesty is appreciated out here.

1) yes, you cannot deduct primary commute mileage - and if your company owns the car, you have to reimburse the company for private use/primary commute use - or consider it taxable benefits.... we are talking about driving between offices - now if you have a home office for a part of your company and your other company is somewhere else, then you can consider that an inter-business commute --- however IRS doesn't love those types of situations - so be careful

2) re: fancy cars in rural America... I practiced in rural america --- a lot of the doctors drove really ****ty cars (10 year old beat up hondas, etc) back and forth to the office/hospital - almost a competition for who had the crappiest car... Interestingly, one day, a new cardiology hire purchased himself a sweet looking new Audi... word spread around medical community quickly (what else do they have to talk about) and then around the local population... his business picked up significantly and he became more popular than the partners... i spoke with one of his patients - "if he's got a fancy new car, then he must be successful.. and if he is successful, it must be because he is really good at what he does".... within about 4 months, every car in hospital parking lot was shiny/new and decked out... interesting how perception can become reality...

sport; start a practice first, work hard, make people better, and make money in the process. then buy a Bentley.

I drove a mazda in fellowship, honda during my first few years in practice, and now drive a nice car. It is standard in my area, but would have been a terrible idea when I was begging for referrals....

My buddies in Texas have 6500 sq houses, and apparently this is standard in this region....

jetta - do you realize a regular service for a Bentley is 800-1,200$ a pop?! Bentleys are not a good investment - even though I love their lines... furthermore, you are destroying the car by driving it since they are very prone to mechanical problems (that's what happens with hand-built engines)...

stim4u--- a 6500 sq ft house in Texas is about the equivalent to a 2,200 sq ft home in my neck of the woods based on cost :(

jetta - do you realize a regular service for a Bentley is 800-1,200$ a pop?! Bentleys are not a good investment - even though I love their lines... furthermore, you are destroying the car by driving it since they are very prone to mechanical problems (that's what happens with hand-built engines)...

stim4u--- a 6500 sq ft house in Texas is about the equivalent to a 2,200 sq ft home in my neck of the woods based on cost :(

i think he (jettavr6) was being sarcastic...his name is a volkswagon...

1)

2) re: fancy cars in rural America... I practiced in rural america --- a lot of the doctors drove really ****ty cars (10 year old beat up hondas, etc) back and forth to the office/hospital - almost a competition for who had the crappiest car... Interestingly, one day, a new cardiology hire purchased himself a sweet looking new Audi... word spread around medical community quickly (what else do they have to talk about) and then around the local population... his business picked up significantly and he became more popular than the partners... i spoke with one of his patients - "if he's got a fancy new car, then he must be successful.. and if he is successful, it must be because he is really good at what he does".... within about 4 months, every car in hospital parking lot was shiny/new and decked out... interesting how perception can become reality...

I am involved at the board level with a couple of small hospitals in rural areas.
Trust me, in today's economy you would be making a major faux pax to drive something conspicuous in rural America.

That said, it's perfectly ok to drive a new, decked out, Ford F350 King Ranch for $65K.

I am involved at the board level with a couple of small hospitals in rural areas.
Trust me, in today's economy you would be making a major faux pax to drive something conspicuous in rural America.

That said, it's perfectly ok to drive a new, decked out, Ford F350 King Ranch for $65K.

We've got a guy with an F650 in the neighborhood. It's a big rig. I drive a worse car than my patients.

J10.jpg

We've got a guy with an F650 in the neighborhood. It's a big rig. I drive a worse car than my patients.

J10.jpg

If you drive that you can't be a bad guy. But where's the gun rack?

i think he (jettavr6) was being sarcastic...his name is a volkswagon...

Come on guys.... people actually took my post seriously?

I'm still driving the same car (VW) from residency, fellowship and private practice... 100K miles and it is still doing well..

For my next car, it will either be a Hyundai or a Ferrari... which ever one is faster!

Lexus ct 200h

lexus-ct-200h-hybrid-photo-001.jpg

(+) hybrid 43/40 city/hwy, Lexus, starting is <30K

(-) slow 0->60 mph in 9-10 secs, not as luxurious

Somebody check my math:

40K/yr, x $5.00/gal, x 5 yrs

20mpg $10,000.00

30mpg $6,667.00

40mpg $5,000.00

20mpg car x 5yrs = $50,000.00 (Volkswagen CC)

30mpg car x 5yrs = $33,335.00 (Hyundai Sonata)

40mpg car x 5yrs = $25,000.00 (Passat Diesel)

So, if I buy the Passat, vs the CC, I save around $5K/yr on fuel costs . Passat vs Sonata I'm saving a couple of grand per yr.

That's a big splay. Those diesel's are look'n better & better.

Last edited: