Need to take biochem before mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fluffyone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm currently a sophomore and I would like to take the mcat next year. However, I wont be able to take biochem before the mcat due to my course schedule (biochem and physics is not offered in the summer or midwinter so I cant catch up) do I need to take biochem before the mcat to do well or can I just self study it? I really would prefer not to push off my mcat so that I dont have to apply a year later but if I need to I will. TIA.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm currently a sophomore and I would like to take the mcat next year. However, I wont be able to take biochem before the mcat due to my course schedule (biochem and physics is not offered in the summer or midwinter so I cant catch up) do I need to take biochem before the mcat to do well or can I just self study it? I really would prefer not to push off my mcat so that I dont have to apply a year later but if I need to I will. TIA.

The MCAT has a lot of biochem. I would wait until you've taken the class.

Reactions: 2 users
In my opinion, biochem is the most important class you should take before starting medical school, so yes, take it before you take the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is possible to prep for MCAT and study biochem at the same time. I took my course the spring before I took MCAT and did fine. I would not self-study something so important in the exam.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
The MCAT has a lot of biochem. I would wait until you've taken the class.
Thanks for the response. The only time I would be able to take biochem is during midwinter but my college doesn't offer it during that time. Should I find an online course and take it during midwinter so that its before the mcat? And where do I even start looking for online courses?

Thanks for the response. The only time I would be able to take biochem is during midwinter but my college doesn't offer it during that time. Should I find an online course and take it during midwinter so that its before the mcat? And where do I even start looking for online courses?

Be aware that a lot of schools don’t accept online courses as pre-reqs. Don’t limit yourself unnecessarily.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the MCAT without formal biochem. It was a mistake. I was lucky and have been able to pull through the cycle on other merits. Had I taken it after biochem, I’d imagine I would have done much better.

Reactions: 1 users
I made the same mistake in not takin Biochem before the MCAT but thankfully, it worked out for me but i wouldn't recommend it

What's the rush? Calm down, medical school is going nowhere, and no school will flag you for applying a year later. It's simple, take Biochem first then take the MCAT because you don't wanna end up with multiple MCAT. Otherwise you might be applying to med school after 1 or 2 gap years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

The majority of medical schools now have biochem as a required or recommended course due to the heavy biochem content on the "new" (M5/2015) MCAT

Recommended, yup. Actually required, and therefore can’t be taken online, nope. Not he majority. I haven’t checked every school, but I did check two states. Per MSAR,

Of the 11 or so CA schools only Loma Linda, UCI require it.

Of the 14 NY schools only 4 of them require it.

With that said, I’m not advocating for taking biochem after the MCAT. I took it in person simply for the MCAT, but I can understand the allure of an online class if scheduling is an issue. Obviously this isn’t the road that the majority will take, but some people’s path to medicine isn’t cookie cutter and is quite alternative. Gotta make it work!