ssandedoc

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
56
0
Status
Okay I'm currently a sophomore attending a comm. college. I will be transferring this summer to either a small public liberal arts school or the state's largest public school. I put on my application to one Sociology (General) while at the other Biology.


I guess my question is does it really matter what school a person goes to? I've talked to several of my professors and they think the small public liberal arts school is a reasonable choice and has its advantages and disadvantages.

My second question is does it really matter what I major in? If I major in Biology I will have all the prerequistes for MD, DO, and PA programs. But I really want to study Sociology. What I'm thinking of is major in Bio and minor in Sociology.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
ssandedoc said:
Okay I'm currently a sophomore attending a comm. college. I will be transferring this summer to either a small public liberal arts school or the state's largest public school. I put on my application to one Sociology (General) while at the other Biology.


I guess my question is does it really matter what school a person goes to? I've talked to several of my professors and they think the small public liberal arts school is a reasonable choice and has its advantages and disadvantages.

My second question is does it really matter what I major in? If I major in Biology I will have all the prerequistes for MD, DO, and PA programs. But I really want to study Sociology. What I'm thinking of is major in Bio and minor in Sociology.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Major in Sociology.
 

LVDoc

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
250
1
Status
Makes no difference. Study what you want in undergrad, be it sociology or biology. You are right though, with sociology, you will have to take the pre-med requisites aside (~1 yr. of coursework). Personally, one year is not all that much, and if you're going to be miserable studying biology for 3 or so years, it'd be better to just stick it out for one.

Don't worry about what you designated as your major on the application. You can change it once you transfer (if you're so compelled to do so). Also, small public liberal arts school vs. a large state public school - don't go for name recognition here. Go for where you feel you will get the best education, and also the most opportunities to interact with your professors, pursue research, or other extracurricular activities.

I guess this is my warning to you. I am finishing my major in microbiology this spring from a very large, well-recognized public school - it was not at all what I thought it would be. Try not to get sucked into a trap before it even starts.
 

jkhamlin

Joe Cool Attending
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
1,067
3
45
Joplin, MO
Status
Attending Physician
ssandedoc said:
Okay I'm currently a sophomore attending a comm. college. I will be transferring this summer to either a small public liberal arts school or the state's largest public school. I put on my application to one Sociology (General) while at the other Biology.


I guess my question is does it really matter what school a person goes to? I've talked to several of my professors and they think the small public liberal arts school is a reasonable choice and has its advantages and disadvantages.

My second question is does it really matter what I major in? If I major in Biology I will have all the prerequistes for MD, DO, and PA programs. But I really want to study Sociology. What I'm thinking of is major in Bio and minor in Sociology.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
:idea: You could always major in both.
 

DOpride

master debater
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2005
11
0
Philly style (transplanted)
Status
Go to the large school. Admissions Committees have more experience with graduates from those schools being successfull in their schools. Not that there is anything wrong with the smaller school's education. Just that because large schools have more grads, med schools can compare the success of students from larger schools in their program. I went to a branch campus of a large school for undergrad which put me at a slight disadvantage- I ended up doing a master's at the main campus of another large school. Still, it is possible either way- It all comes down to MCAT score in the end!
 

HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
5,783
862
Status
Attending Physician
LVDoc said:
I guess this is my warning to you. I am finishing my major in microbiology this spring from a very large, well-recognized public school - it was not at all what I thought it would be. Try not to get sucked into a trap before it even starts.

I concur. While there are many more opportunities and a broader diversity in the curricula at major public schools, you don't get as many opportunities to get to know your professors as you would attending a smaller liberal arts school.

So far, getting the LORs has been the hardest thing for me.
 
OP
S

ssandedoc

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
56
0
Status
Does majoring in Sociology, and picking up the remaining of my pre med prerequisites along the way, would put me at a disadvantage in med school? I mean if I major in Biology wouldn't I have a better understanding of things? Or does it not really matter truly what a person's major is along as they meet the requirements?
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
ssandedoc said:
Does majoring in Sociology, and picking up the remaining of my pre med prerequisites along the way, would put me at a disadvantage in med school? I mean if I major in Biology wouldn't I have a better understanding of things? Or does it not really matter truly what a person's major is along as they meet the requirements?
No, you'd have an advantage. Med schools prefer non-science majors. It provides for a more well-rounded applicant.
 
OP
S

ssandedoc

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
56
0
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
No, you'd have an advantage. Med schools prefer non-science majors. It provides for a more well-rounded applicant.
Hey OSUDoc, this is funny because I'm an Oklahoman too! I currently go to the OKC Community College. (I'm not sure why didn't state where and what colleges) Anyways I'm considering OU or USAO (Univ. of Sciences and Arts of Oklahoma). I also for DO school would like to go to OSU's DO program in Tulsa.


Ok here's a question for everyone, what is there undergrad major and also minors.

Also, OSUDoc I've read med school committees like a well rounded student, however lets say I get into med school. Would I be at a disadvantage by not having a strong science background, meaning in understanding the materal in med school.


Thanks for everyone's help, it makes my life less stressful!
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
ssandedoc said:
Hey OSUDoc, this is funny because I'm an Oklahoman too! I currently go to the OKC Community College. (I'm not sure why didn't state where and what colleges) Anyways I'm considering OU or USAO (Univ. of Sciences and Arts of Oklahoma). I also for DO school would like to go to OSU's DO program in Tulsa.


Ok here's a question for everyone, what is there undergrad major and also minors.

Also, OSUDoc I've read med school committees like a well rounded student, however lets say I get into med school. Would I be at a disadvantage by not having a strong science background, meaning in understanding the materal in med school.


Thanks for everyone's help, it makes my life less stressful!
I had a non science major (anthropology) and I'm doing much better in my courses than many of the science majors. In fact, we have an English major that is making straight A's, and a Biology major that is failing.

We have students from both USAO and OU. Go wherever you feel would be the most fun, and where you would be the happiest. Major in whatever you feel you would get a higher GPA in, and enjoy the classes.

Don't try to make decisions on college and major based on what admissions committees will like. It all comes down to GPA, MCAT, and medical interest/experience. Don't sacrifice your GPA for a more "competitive" major. Social sciences have a higher medical school admission rate nationwide than biology.

PM me if you want some specific information about the schools in Oklahoma.

Good Luck!
 
OP
S

ssandedoc

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
56
0
Status
I just looked at all 20 COM and as you know most of them require 2 semesters:

  • Physics
    General Chemistry
    Organic Chemistry
    English
    Biology/Zoology

Anyway a lot of the COM are recommending and some even require more hours in Biology and also some of Biochemistry, Histology, Immunology, Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy, Physiology, and Human Anatomy.


With a list like that wouldn't it just make sense to grab a BS in Biology?

Ya I know I'm really be indecisive at the moment. I enjoy Sociology, but I want to be a good applicant and understand med school. I'm leaning to majoring in Sociology and picking up Organic I & II, Physics II, another Bio/zoo class, and possibly taking physio or something else that will help.


Anyone got anymore thoughts on this? Another problem with me is if I major in Sociology at the small public liberal arts school USAO my class schedule will be hard to juggle since its a small school. But if I go to OU my class schedule won't be a problem because they have an ungodly amount of teachers, students, and class meeting times. But at OU I will be in classes of at least 150 plus people 99% of the time unless its upper division classes.

Also another option on the table is OBU, they're small school. I think schedule conflicts could happen, however I don't know. Anyone got anymore insight please drop me another line.
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
ssandedoc said:
I just looked at all 20 COM and as you know most of them require 2 semesters:

  • Physics
    General Chemistry
    Organic Chemistry
    English
    Biology/Zoology

Anyway a lot of the COM are recommending and some even require more hours in Biology and also some of Biochemistry, Histology, Immunology, Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy, Physiology, and Human Anatomy.


With a list like that wouldn't it just make sense to grab a BS in Biology?

Ya I know I'm really be indecisive at the moment. I enjoy Sociology, but I want to be a good applicant and understand med school. I'm leaning to majoring in Sociology and picking up Organic I & II, Physics II, another Bio/zoo class, and possibly taking physio or something else that will help.


Anyone got anymore thoughts on this? Another problem with me is if I major in Sociology at the small public liberal arts school USAO my class schedule will be hard to juggle since its a small school. But if I go to OU my class schedule won't be a problem because they have an ungodly amount of teachers, students, and class meeting times. But at OU I will be in classes of at least 150 plus people 99% of the time unless its upper division classes.

Also another option on the table is OBU, they're small school. I think schedule conflicts could happen, however I don't know. Anyone got anymore insight please drop me another line.
Yes, majoring in sociology will require more hours to be taken than in biology. My degree, forensic science, included the premed curriculum, even though it was in the department of anthropology, so it worked out for me well.

The thing to keep in mind is that you will be taking many upper level bio classes that you will not need for medical school. Plan on working extra hard to do well in these more difficult classes.

I would consider getting a B.A. in biology by the way, as admissions committees prefer at least a BA science degree over BS. You will take a few more electives in different areas, and a few less science classes, but still get all of your premed sciences and more out of the way.
 
OP
S

ssandedoc

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
56
0
Status
USAO only offers as BS in Biology. However, they offer a Biology minor. Someone told me minors are worthless and not worth the time.

I guess this all comes down to how dedicated I truly am at wanting to become a Physician. I enjoy science classes, it just at some times they get to be frustrating, overwhelming, and make me shut down. And I guess there is a apart of me afraid to put my major into something that I can do okay in, just not want I enjoy. I KNOW if I put my heart into this I could do very well. Its just I'm not sure when the time rolls around this fall and lets say I'm a Bio major, that I will put my heart into it. When I took Organic I, I spent sometime studying. But the pressure from that plus I had a lot of personal stuff going on like all at once made me shut down and not want to work. And I did okay in the class with a B (was so close to being a C). I'm going to retake Organic I because I want a better understanding of it plus the ability to do well on the MCAT.

I guess to there's apart of me that fears if I major in Biology that I will get stressed out to the point I drop the major, or something and then feel like a failure. Why I think this, I'm not sure. I guess the Biology coursework looks time consuming, tedious, sometimes boring, and challenging. But then again what's med school!
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
ssandedoc said:
USAO only offers as BS in Biology. However, they offer a Biology minor. Someone told me minors are worthless and not worth the time.

I guess this all comes down to how dedicated I truly am at wanting to become a Physician. I enjoy science classes, it just at some times they get to be frustrating, overwhelming, and make me shut down. And I guess there is a apart of me afraid to put my major into something that I can do okay in, just not want I enjoy. I KNOW if I put my heart into this I could do very well. Its just I'm not sure when the time rolls around this fall and lets say I'm a Bio major, that I will put my heart into it. When I took Organic I, I spent sometime studying. But the pressure from that plus I had a lot of personal stuff going on like all at once made me shut down and not want to work. And I did okay in the class with a B (was so close to being a C). I'm going to retake Organic I because I want a better understanding of it plus the ability to do well on the MCAT.

I guess to there's apart of me that fears if I major in Biology that I will get stressed out to the point I drop the major, or something and then feel like a failure. Why I think this, I'm not sure. I guess the Biology coursework looks time consuming, tedious, sometimes boring, and challenging. But then again what's med school!
Well I chose to do the non-science major, and I'm glad I did. I was still well-prepared for med school, and am near the top of my class. Others on the other hand are doing poorly with a B.S. in biology....of course the reverse is always true---so it is a personal decision. Base it upon your feelings and not those of others.

Yes, minors are worthless. Don't waste time with taking extra classes for one.
 
OP
S

ssandedoc

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
56
0
Status
OSU, your undergrad was in Anthropology right?
 

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
3,479
1
New York
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Aero047 said:
Does the BA/BS degree really make a difference?
i was wondering this too. i'm a biochem major, and my school only offers a BS in biochem. I think maybe the thinking might be that with a BS degree, you don't have time to take any elective classes that would make you more well rounded. I'm not sure if this is true, but it's the only thing i could think of. Although i think it's BS (no pun intended) b/c i'm taking so many more electives than any other biochem or BA bio major. i don't know how that happened actually, but somehow it did.
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
musiclink213 said:
i was wondering this too. i'm a biochem major, and my school only offers a BS in biochem. I think maybe the thinking might be that with a BS degree, you don't have time to take any elective classes that would make you more well rounded. I'm not sure if this is true, but it's the only thing i could think of. Although i think it's BS (no pun intended) b/c i'm taking so many more electives than any other biochem or BA bio major. i don't know how that happened actually, but somehow it did.
Yes, but many more of your electives are required to be in the sciences.
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
ssandedoc said:
OSU, your undergrad was in Anthropology right?
Yes Forensic Science, under the Department of Anthropology & Sociology.
 
OP
S

ssandedoc

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
56
0
Status
I wonder why colleges don't give us more options to make us more well rounded. I want to take what I need and take what I want at the sametime lol.


Well thanks for everyone's help. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Maybe I pursue the Biology degree and take 1 fun class a semester. Then again I wonder am I setting myself up for diaster to take a major and ugh I don't know anymore!!!

Maybe I could just do the socio degree, get the prerequisites, and apply, if I get rejected go back and do whatever is necessary. hmmm
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
ssandedoc said:
I wonder why colleges don't give us more options to make us more well rounded. I want to take what I need and take what I want at the sametime lol.


Well thanks for everyone's help. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Maybe I pursue the Biology degree and take 1 fun class a semester. Then again I wonder am I setting myself up for diaster to take a major and ugh I don't know anymore!!!

Maybe I could just do the socio degree, get the prerequisites, and apply, if I get rejected go back and do whatever is necessary. hmmm
Why would you be more likely rejected if majoring in sociology? This doesn't make any sense to me.
 
OP
S

ssandedoc

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
56
0
Status
Okay, okay... my brain is really foggy from a day of work and church. I think this is starting to make sense again.

I CAN major in ANYTHING I WANT. If I major in Sociology, I can go to med school or COM. Its just that I have to have all the prerequisites and MCAT. Thus, a longer stay in school. Which is fine with me.

However, if I do a science based degree such as Biology, Chemistry, or Natural Sciences I'll get all my COM prerequisites built in with the degree.

Whew! Why that was so hard I don't know.

I guess I thought having a Sociology degree isn't bad, but if I just do hours for Sociology degree plus COM prerequisites then I'm NOT taking the "recommended" courses such as Human Anatomy, Physiology, Histology, and the list goes on.

Okay I have a good question finally from the foggy cloud. By NOT having the recommended classes will the admissions committee care? And by having these extra classes do they really make much of a difference while in med school or COM?

Thanks again for all the help!
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
ssandedoc said:
Okay, okay... my brain is really foggy from a day of work and church. I think this is starting to make sense again.

I CAN major in ANYTHING I WANT. If I major in Sociology, I can go to med school or COM. Its just that I have to have all the prerequisites and MCAT. Thus, a longer stay in school. Which is fine with me.

However, if I do a science based degree such as Biology, Chemistry, or Natural Sciences I'll get all my COM prerequisites built in with the degree.

Whew! Why that was so hard I don't know.

I guess I thought having a Sociology degree isn't bad, but if I just do hours for Sociology degree plus COM prerequisites then I'm NOT taking the "recommended" courses such as Human Anatomy, Physiology, Histology, and the list goes on.

Okay I have a good question finally from the foggy cloud. By NOT having the recommended classes will the admissions committee care? And by having these extra classes do they really make much of a difference while in med school or COM?

Thanks again for all the help!
I didn't take human anatomy or histology. I did take physiology as an elective, but it was not required for my degree. You will want to take genetics and physiology because those are the two areas most commonly on the bio section of the MCAT (genetics most importantly!).

The admissions committee cares more about your GPA and MCAT than what courses you took, as long as you take the required ones. Keep in mind that we have an English major making straight A's in our class that didn't take any of those courses you listed. Other than your GPA and MCAT, get some experience in the medical field.
 
OP
S

ssandedoc

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
56
0
Status
I have over 500 hours of volunteer service at OU Medical Center: Presbyterian Tower from summers of 99-03. I currently volunteer at the OKC National Memorial. And I also work part time (weekends only) at a local hospital in Materials Management. I've been thinking about taking the national test to become a Pharmacy Tech. But I've read elsewhere its better to be a phlembotmist? Sorry can't spell.
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
ssandedoc said:
I have over 500 hours of volunteer service at OU Medical Center: Presbyterian Tower from summers of 99-03. I currently volunteer at the OKC National Memorial. And I also work part time (weekends only) at a local hospital in Materials Management. I've been thinking about taking the national test to become a Pharmacy Tech. But I've read elsewhere its better to be a phlembotmist? Sorry can't spell.
Yeah---phlebotomy would be really good. Also consider EMT. I was an EMT/Paramedic in college.
 
OP
S

ssandedoc

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
56
0
Status
Well, wow! Much changes in 1.5 years! I was wanting to tell everyone my decision.


I went to USAO in the fall of 05 thru the spring of this year. I took the summer off and will be returning this Fall once again to USAO.

I majored in History! Ya, that wasn't even on my mind at the time. But I decided to do so because I've enjoyed history since being a kid, and well my grades have been all A's thus far.

Hmmm. what else. Oh yes, not discouraging others, but I dropped pre med. I did Anatomy in the fall. In the spring I was doing Organic II with a 1-1.5 years gap from Organic I. It wasn't easy, I audited the course and then eventually stopped going to class. I also took Physics II my spring semester along with the lab and I just lost interest. So I ended up leaving physics II and the lab with a W, I just couldn't focus and it wasn't good.

I may pick up the pre med stuff in the future, but I kinda doubt it at this point. I'm content with history and want to teach it at a univ or a community college. But I just wanted to say that the student doctor forums are awesome and a great source of info and cool people.

So to everyone out there, good luck!


I just wanted to add, my first semester at USAO was kinda sour because I didn't know anyone outside my good friend/roommate. The second semester was a lot better and I meet more people. I wanted to add, that maybe the best advice is find what interests you. I heard that over and over from different people throughout my life and didn't get what they meant. But your career should be something you enjoy, because to me money/prestige/etc isn't everything. But I will say at the moment, I have other life struggles, but I'm content with history. Now I just gotta get psyched for the GRE!
 

dr.kicia

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
2,006
1
where the heart is***
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
ssandedoc said:
Well, wow! Much changes in 1.5 years! I was wanting to tell everyone my decision.


I went to USAO in the fall of 05 thru the spring of this year. I took the summer off and will be returning this Fall once again to USAO.

I majored in History! Ya, that wasn't even on my mind at the time. But I decided to do so because I've enjoyed history since being a kid, and well my grades have been all A's thus far.

Hmmm. what else. Oh yes, not discouraging others, but I dropped pre med. I did Anatomy in the fall. In the spring I was doing Organic II with a 1-1.5 years gap from Organic I. It wasn't easy, I audited the course and then eventually stopped going to class. I also took Physics II my spring semester along with the lab and I just lost interest. So I ended up leaving physics II and the lab with a W, I just couldn't focus and it wasn't good.

I may pick up the pre med stuff in the future, but I kinda doubt it at this point. I'm content with history and want to teach it at a univ or a community college. But I just wanted to say that the student doctor forums are awesome and a great source of info and cool people.

So to everyone out there, good luck!


I just wanted to add, my first semester at USAO was kinda sour because I didn't know anyone outside my good friend/roommate. The second semester was a lot better and I meet more people. I wanted to add, that maybe the best advice is find what interests you. I heard that over and over from different people throughout my life and didn't get what they meant. But your career should be something you enjoy, because to me money/prestige/etc isn't everything. But I will say at the moment, I have other life struggles, but I'm content with history. Now I just gotta get psyched for the GRE!
It is great that you love what you do. This is the most important. If you will do something with passion then you naturally become very good in it. I wish you all the best with the history! :luck: