Need urgent help with courseplanning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajp98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am entering my junior year of college and needed help in courseplanning. I'll be taking my MCAT this upcoming January and still need to start studying.

Current schedule:
Microbio
Microbio lab
Cell bio
Physics 2
Physics 2 lab
Regular class

An opportunity came up to do "peer leading class" which is basically teaching gen chem 2 to a small group of students and it counts as a class. If I wanted to do this, I would need to drop Cell Bio for this semester. Should I forgo the opportunity or now or keep Cell bio? I have heard it is covered extensively on MCAT and should keep it and some say 3 sciences before MCAT can be tough but I can handle it.

I need to give them my decision today. Please advise.

Members don't see this ad.

The cell bio vs. peer leading class decision will depend on the rest or your app. Do you need more upper level science classes, perhaps to improve your sGPA or do you need a leadership experience? What do you think you need the most? And which do you think you'll enjoy the most?

I also don't think you should take the MCAT in January, for two reasons: (1) this sounds like a really heavy coursework to have while studying for the MCAT, and (2) you need Physics 2 for the MCAT, so you'll come across topics that you haven't even covered in class. It's best to take the prereq BEFORE starting to study for the MCAT.

Hi there, a few thoughts:

First off, is there any particular reason you're taking the MCAT in January? The overwhelming majority of people that I know took it in the spring or early summer of their junior year. Anecdotally, I took it in the Fall of junior year and in retrospect feel that it was a mistake and way too early.

I was a TA for general chemistry and it's not that huge a time commitment if you can organize your time well. You obviously have to be there to teach the class, but there's not a whole lot of work that goes into it outside of class, so I don't think you necessarily have to drop your other class, unless there's some kind of scheduling issue.

I can't comment on the MCAT content because I took the old one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, a few thoughts:

First off, is there any particular reason you're taking the MCAT in January? The overwhelming majority of people that I know took it in the spring or early summer of their junior year. Anecdotally, I took it in the Fall of junior year and in retrospect feel that it was a mistake and way too early.

I was a TA for general chemistry and it's not that huge a time commitment if you can organize your time well. You obviously have to be there to teach the class, but there's not a whole lot of work that goes into it outside of class, so I don't think you necessarily have to drop your other class, unless there's some kind of scheduling issue.

I can't comment on the MCAT content because I took the old one.
Yes the only reason I would be dropping is because there is a time conflict. I cannot keep both cell bio and the peer leading, it's one or the other.

The peer leading does require more hours of class time in a week but there is almost no work outside of class and no studying or much. Cell bio on the other hand would be like a normal class and would require a bit of studying. I am not sure what to do. Would it beneficial to take cell bio before MCAT or will I be fine just by reading and reviewing material?

The cell bio vs. peer leading class decision will depend on the rest or your app. Do you need more upper level science classes, perhaps to improve your sGPA or do you need a leadership experience? What do you think you need the most? And which do you think you'll enjoy the most?

I also don't think you should take the MCAT in January, for two reasons: (1) this sounds like a really heavy coursework to have while studying for the MCAT, and (2) you need Physics 2 for the MCAT, so you'll come across topics that you haven't even covered in class. It's best to take the prereq BEFORE starting to study for the MCAT.
My leadership and sGPA are both good as is. I just have to take one or the other because without it completely my schedule would only be 11 credits which I feel is too low.

My leadership and sGPA are both good as is. I just have to take one or the other because without it completely my schedule would only be 11 credits which I feel is too low.
Then take the peer leading role so that you have more time to study for the MCAT. Although I really can't recommend a January exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Any other recommendations? Really don't know what to do here. Is Cell Bio that necessary before MCAT?

It's not that necessary but it will certainly help.