Need verbal resource advice ---- MCAT Retaker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vijay100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am studying for my MCAT retake and I am debating whether to redo TPR or EK 101 passages in addition to the undone Kaplan VR passages (from their verbal book, section tests, and FL's). For my first attempt I have pretty much used up all the good materials including all of AAMC VR materials (3R -11, self-assessment, and official guide), TPR, EK 101, TBR, and TPR online. This time around I am using all of Kaplan materials including their verbal and taking GS FL's. I was wondering if I should supplement my verbal prep with something else such as EK 101 (did this before TPR Verbal Book) or TPR VR. The reason for this is that I hear from people that Kaplan verbal is slightly different from the actual exam, so I really want to supplement it with one of the more accurate verbal resources that I used up in the past.

I needed advise in terms of choosing which material to re-do; EK 101 or TPR Verbal or AAMC passages? I vaguely remember some of the passages from each, though certainly not every single one of the passages.

A bit of background- I am retaking primarily due to my low verbal score and I am scoring 8's on kaplan verbal tests. I will be taking the exam in almost 10 weeks from now.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I am studying for my MCAT retake and I am debating whether to redo TPR or EK 101 passages in addition to the undone Kaplan VR passages (from their verbal book, section tests, and FL's). For my first attempt I have pretty much used up all the good materials including all of AAMC VR materials (3R -11, self-assessment, and official guide), TPR, EK 101, TBR, and TPR online. This time around I am using all of Kaplan materials including their verbal and taking GS FL's. I was wondering if I should supplement my verbal prep with something else such as EK 101 (did this before TPR Verbal Book) or TPR VR. The reason for this is that I hear from people that Kaplan verbal is slightly different from the actual exam, so I really want to supplement it with one of the more accurate verbal resources that I used up in the past.

I needed advise in terms of choosing which material to re-do; EK 101 or TPR Verbal or AAMC passages? I vaguely remember some of the passages from each, though certainly not every single one of the passages.

A bit of background- I am retaking primarily due to my low verbal score and I am scoring 8's on kaplan verbal tests. I will be taking the exam in almost 10 weeks from now.

Whatever you do, don't use Kaplan Verbal to prepare yourself. And don't trust what your score is from their practice tests. Might as well read the newspaper and then make up your own questions about what you're reading and put a random scale on it. It's not just that Kaplan Verbal is, as you say, "slightly different from the actual exam," but rather it's almost like prepping for an entirely different exam. I wouldn't use a single resource produced by them after comparing the AAMC Verbal to their practice.

That said, you should not try simply redoing what you've already done, and I'd recommend studying the material you've already done....take a look at missed questions and try to deduce what you've done wrong. Don't simply look at wrong answers and talk yourself into why the credited answer is correct; rather, see that you missed a question, and give yourself a second crack at answering it. For practice, TPR Online and AAMC practice are your best bet, EK is not bad, but please whatever you do avoid Kaplan resources for your own good.