Need your advice!! Happy Holidays Everyone!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdfray

currently at work
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new at SDNC and I thought it'd be best if I provide you guys with some idea of my background and what I've been up to, before I ask any questions:

I'm currently in the process of taking the prerequisites needed to apply for dental school. I'm a post-bach that has a first degree in Finance and Investment from a known business school in NYC and currently, I'm re-enrolled back as a 2nd degree student (though I'm not really finishing it). I've completed Bio 1 and 2, and currently taking Chem 1, Anatomy, and Physics 1 (Good chance I'll be receiving A's in all these courses.) Next semester I'm taking Chem 2, Physics 2, and Genetics.
1st Degree GPA - 3.26
Post-Bach GPA - 4.0

Looking at this trend, I probably wont be able to apply for Dental school til June of 2012 - which gives my more time to take more upper bio courses. Since I started taking the prereq. I've been volunteering at my local hospital's dental clinic and have well over 100 hrs of shadowing so far.

Though finals are approaching this week, I thought I'd take a break and ask you guys a couple of questions about what I should do from now til I apply for dental school. Here goes:

-Is it possible to take the DAT after you submit your application in June? If so, is there a timeframe of when It must be taken by? How does the this process work?

-I'm currently planning out my coursework for the next year I got a dilemma of when I should take Organic Chemistry. Which approach is better?
Alternative 1: Take Orgo 1 in the summer of 2011, leaving orgo 2 for the fall with biochemistry. Afterward, spend 5 months studying for the DAT and take it during the June of 2012 (along with a Kaplan course).
Alternative 2: Take Orgo 1 in the fall of 2011, leaving orgo 2 and biochem in the spring. (Though this will would probably give me more time to study for the course material, thus giving me a better chance of getting A's, I dont think this approach will give me much time to studying for my DAT)

-Should I pick up a upper level Calculus or Statistic course? I'm asking because I've done poorly in these classes during my freshmen year - mainly due to not adjusted to being in college yet (ended up with C's in all my math courses). Also, I want to show them that I can do well on those courses.

-Since I've re-enrolled back at the business school, people have been telling me that I should of just went to a university that's known for their science programs. Does it matter where I take the prereq? Was it a bad idea for my to go back to Baruch, which is a mainly a business school? Should I transfer out?

-Is there anything else I can do from now til I apply that would increase my chance of getting into dental school?

I know it's a lot of question, but I'm just unsure what my next move should be. Please provide feedback and Have a great holiday everyone!

Best Regards,
Ray :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
-Is it possible to take the DAT after you submit your application in June? If so, is there a timeframe of when It must be taken by? How does the this process work?
Yes it's possible to take th DAT after you submit your application in June. You can take the DAT whenever you want, however, you want it done as early as possible because dental schools are on rolling admissions. Once it hits June, the applications in the admissions offices pile up, and apps are reviewed based on the order they are completed.

-I'm currently planning out my coursework for the next year I got a dilemma of when I should take Organic Chemistry. Which approach is better?
Alternative 1: Take Orgo 1 in the summer of 2011, leaving orgo 2 for the fall with biochemistry. Afterward, spend 5 months studying for the DAT and take it during the June of 2012 (along with a Kaplan course).
Alternative 2: Take Orgo 1 in the fall of 2011, leaving orgo 2 and biochem in the spring. (Though this will would probably give me more time to study for the course material, thus giving me a better chance of getting A's, I dont think this approach will give me much time to studying for my DAT)
Alternative 2 seems more logical, though... Orgo on DAT is really easy, i think you can probably do it with just Orgo 1. Check it out for yourself :)

-Should I pick up a upper level Calculus or Statistic course? I'm asking because I've done poorly in these classes during my freshmen year - mainly due to not adjusted to being in college yet (ended up with C's in all my math courses). Also, I want to show them that I can do well on those courses.
if you KNOW you can do well, go for it, but they are not pre-requisites at most schools.

-Since I've re-enrolled back at Baruch, people have been telling me that I should of just went to a university that's known for their science programs. Does it matter where I take the prereq? Was it a bad idea for my to go back to Baruch, which is a mainly a business school? Should I transfer out?
It doesn't matter where you take your pre-reqs as long as you are at an accredited 4-year institution. Go to a school where you KNOW you can get close to a 4.0 in your region, don't go to alaska, because that would look suspicious.

-Is there anything else I can do from now til I apply that would increase my chance of getting into dental school?
Contact schools, express your interest and ask them how you can improve as a candidate.

Ty for the feedback!!

Is there a certain time I should take the DAT by? If I submit my application at the beginning of June, when should I take after June so that they'll receive my score before they start reviewing? Sorry, I don't know it goes

Your feedbacks are much appreciated!!! Tyy:thumbup: