1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

need your advice

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by ohgee, Oct 8, 2002.

1. ohgee

ohgee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,

I have a dilema, I found out my MCAT score and I didn't do so well (I got a 13). i know that some but not all podiatry schools accept GRE, I am wondering if I should take the MCAT again (April) and try to improve my score or start studying for the GRE exam, or do both, or do nothing about it... I am hoping to go into some specific podiatry schools, such as Temple, Samuel Merritt, and NYCPM. Do anyone know what is the average MCAT/GRE score for getting these podiatry schools?

Thanks...:)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am not a pod student , but I did a ton of research before I decided it was not for me. Believe it or not, your 13 will get you in. The schools are desperate, NYCPM just started accepting apps for spring as well as fall. Before I get flamed, this is just my opinion!

4. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student
    7+ Year Member

USS is correct. I'm a graduate of the former California College of Podiatric Medicine (now Samuel Merritt) and, while my scores were respectable, I know that even back then they were taking students with MCAT's lower than that.

The schools are in crisis and can't attract enough candidates. As long as you aren't a confessed serial killer or part of Al Qaeda, I will guarantee that you'll get into one of the schools.

5. efs

efs SDN Advisor
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    If I had scored a 13 on the MCAT, I would have had to sit down and take a long, hard, objective assessment of my reasons and goals.

Was the score realistic, or were there extenuating circumstances causing an aberrent score? If you were to retake it right now, would the score likely change significantly?

What were your long term goals? It might be worthwhile to spend a bit more time preparing in undergradate courses. Was podiatry part of the original goal, or is it something that is a "second best" for you? If it is you should definately reconsider. While the other posts are unfortunately correct, you might be able to gain admission at one of the podiatry schools, they didn't mention the rest of it. Getting in is the easy part. If you are not capable of the academics it could be an expensive lesson.

Take some time to seriously evaluate your position. Another year is not too much time when you are considering the long term.

6. ohgee

ohgee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Actually,
    I let my friend to use my account for this. She got a 13 on MCAT, but I think she is capable of doing better. She only had 2 month to study, and she totally under estimated the difficulty of MCAT.
    I think she's more capable of getting a 18-25 range. So, lets say if she gets that score, is it worth it for her to go through the pain again? or 13 is good enough for most of podiatry schools?

Thanks for all of your guy's input.

7. ussdfiant

Attending Physician
    Tell your friend that her 13 will get the job done.

8. efs

efs SDN Advisor

Podiatrist
    Let's see, probably capable of 18-25? 18 = 6, 6, 6. 24=~ 8,8,9. Even with these numbers I would think that a bit more time and thought would be worthwhile. The "pain" of waiting and retaking is probably worth the effort. In addition, this gives some time for further reflection on goals.

Bottom line, if I had scored a 13 I would take a step back for thought and retake. (Unless that 13 was on one section.:D That's a bit more like it. ):)

9. ussdfiant

Attending Physician
    Eric,

If this person wants to become a podatrist and her current MCAT score will be sufficient for her to gain admission now, why exactly should she take the MCAT again? I don't understand why she should wait, if this is something that she wants to do.

10. ohgee

ohgee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for your guy's input...

She told me that she decided to take MCAT again ... I think this is a good learning process for her to be successful in podiatry school anyways (study skill, time management, handling pressure, etc).

Besides, it won't hurt.... she can't possibly get lower than a 13!!

;)

I am just curious, is anyone really can handle the work in Podiatry school with a 13 TOTAL on MCAT?

11. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student
    7+ Year Member

The real purpose of the MCAT is to help weed out the thousands of med school applicants as well as to help predict how the prospective student might perform on the board exams.

Neither of these criteria has any bearing on whether or not someone will succeed in podiatry school. The podiatry boards can be passed while in a coma. There are not thousands of students applying. In fact, several schools don't even require the MCAT. What does that tell you? It must not be a very important factor.

Now, efs is correct when he says that it is infinitely easier to get into podiatry school than it is to get out. The first two years are TOUGH. The second two years are much more forgiving. If your friend thinks that she can handle a ton of hardcore science being shoved down her gullet on a daily basis and be able to make some sense of it, she might be able to do it.

I, personally, don't think that a good or bad score on the MCAT has much to do with whether or not someone will be able to hack podiatry school.

12. efs

efs SDN Advisor

Podiatrist
    ussdfiant,

Maybe I was reading between the lines, but I got the sense that podiatry was not this person's original goal. With that in mind, I would steer them away from even applying to podiatry as an alternative. Take the extra time to re-think the goals.

On the other hand, if podiatry was their original intention from the begining and the can be accepted (which I am not as sure of as the rest of you), I still think this person could be looking at trouble. It might be enough to get in, but if that score is really what they are capable of, they will have an extremely difficult time with school. Once again, better to take the extra year for some additional studying and retake the MCAT later.

Just my thoughts on the best course of action for this situation. It is still up to the individual to choose.