Need your input/opinions: Summer research at a medical school-any benefit with application ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A21JHG

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to do a summer research program this summer at a medical school that I will be applying to during this upcoming application cycle. This med school is kind of a reach med school for me (w/ regards to my MCAT score only; I have all of the other criteria met for this school). Would participating in this research program give me an edge in any way with my application to this medical school?

I also have an opportunity at the NIH for a research position this summer. The research focus/topic at the NIH is a continuation of the focus/topic I did last summer (at a different lab) and is of great interest to me. The research focus/topic at the medical school will be interesting, but is new to me.
So, I have two great opportunities, but having hard time deciding.
The NIH is the NIH, so that would be an incredible and prestigious opportunity. Also, with the research topic at the NIH being of great interest to me and a continuation of previous research, I know it will be a productive and enjoyable summer. The med school opportunity will still be worthwhile for the research exposure and meeting new people, etc., but if being there and having my foot in the door would do nothing in my favor for my application then I am not sure it is worth giving up the NIH opportunity for. Any input/opinions are welcomed!! Need to make my decision in 48 hours!! :unsure:

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
I don't want to tell you what to do, because this is a seriously difficult decision--I just want to tell you what my experience was with similar research positions.

I spent two summers doing research at the medical school that I ultimately matriculated into. I considered myself a bit of a reach for this school as well. In my acceptance letter, the committee wrote that they were especially impressed with the work I had done while at their medical school. Could they have just been inserting something of no substance into a stock letter sent to everyone who was accepted? Absolutely. But then again, they did write it.

I also spent a summer at the NIH. While this experience was not mentioned in my letters of acceptance, it was universally respected on the interview trail, and frequently asked about. That said, I felt both experiences were seen as credible forays into scientific research, and interviewers seemed similarly interested in each experience--just that the NIH was asked about more frequently.

I don't think you will go wrong, either way. In my experience, being affiliated with a certain school can give you an edge, but that doesn't mean it's the only way to catch the ADCOM's eye.

I don't want to tell you what to do, because this is a seriously difficult decision--I just want to tell you what my experience was with similar research positions.

I spent two summers doing research at the medical school that I ultimately matriculated into. I considered myself a bit of a reach for this school as well. In my acceptance letter, the committee wrote that they were especially impressed with the work I had done while at their medical school. Could they have just been inserting something of no substance into a stock letter sent to everyone who was accepted? Absolutely. But then again, they did write it.

I also spent a summer at the NIH. While this experience was not mentioned in my letters of acceptance, it was universally respected on the interview trail, and frequently asked about. That said, I felt both experiences were seen as credible forays into scientific research, and interviewers seemed similarly interested in each experience--just that the NIH was asked about more frequently.

I don't think you will go wrong, either way. In my experience, being affiliated with a certain school can give you an edge, but that doesn't mean it's the only way to catch the ADCOM's eye.
I think @dogbert2234 is giving you great advice, but common sense kind of dictates you go with NIH. NIH is universally respected everywhere, and will give you a boost at all schools. The experience at the specific medical school will undoubtedly provide a boost there if you happen to interact in the right way with the right people, but you'll never know if it's enough to overcome the fact that the school is otherwise a MCAT reach for you until after the fact. It will also be a great EC in applying to any school, but probably not as impressive as NIH. Maybe this changes if it's a tippy top school, but, again, NIH is universal. To me, it's a no brainer to choose the path that will provide the maximum potential benefit at the maximum number of places. Either way, good luck!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think @dogbert2234 is giving you great advice, but common sense kind of dictates you go with NIH. NIH is universally respected everywhere, and will give you a boost at all schools. The experience at the specific medical school will undoubtedly provide a boost there if you happen to interact in the right way with the right people, but you'll never know if it's enough to overcome the fact that the school is otherwise a MCAT reach for you until after the fact. It will also be a great EC in applying to any school, but probably not as impressive as NIH. Maybe this changes if it's a tippy top school, but, again, NIH is universal. To me, it's a no brainer to choose the path that will provide the maximum potential benefit at the maximum number of places. Either way, good luck!! :)

Thank you so much for your very helpful reply! I appreciate it.

Your reply is very helpful! Thank you so much.