Needed wisdom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Panchicu

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a B.S. social sciece from Cornell U (3.0 gpa) and decided to become a doctor. I have
finished half of my premed courses (all A's) at a local community college. My wife is active Air
Force and we will be transfering to Hawaii and I will have to finish the rest of the courses at
another school. Will this hurt? Or should I stay behind and finish everything in one school??? I
am also concern because if I take half of my premed courses in one place, and half in another
university, the Premed commitee may be reluctant to write an otherwise complete and
wholesome letter of recommendation. Any thoughts?

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Well,
definitely your in a precarious situation.
However, there is a happy median in everything. What I would do is get recommendations from your school your in now. Go to a 4 year school and finish your prereq's there. Hint: classes in a 4 year school are supposed to be more challenging......... Med schools like that...
Good Luck

True,classes(some) in 4 year schools are more challenging,but after taking a differential equations course at a comm. coll.(this past summer),I wished that I had done all my calc classes their.At the univ. where I am,the prof.(whom I only had for calc III the rest were T.A.s for Calc I & II) just comes and dumpes this **** load of problems on our asses(some of them which are pure torture),and then leaves.At the comm coll.,I had the chance to sit with my instructor and tackle the problems together.This is where Comm. coll.s come above most 4yrs.Try doing Calc-based Physics at a comm coll. and a 4yr and you'll tell me the difference.As people always say "there's a difference between knowing and understanding".The mistake that a number of pre-meds make is going through univ. just for the grades,and forget that this is a foundation for something far bigger than "just grades" So I would like to advice you not to know,but to understand the material that comes across your college years especially pre-meds eyeing Emergency medicine careers,or the one who are going to be my partners in the spinal trauma unit in sub-saharan Africa for that matter
smile.gif

------------------
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN,MUCH IS EXPECTED.

My husband is active duty Navy and I have had to transfer 3 times in my undergraduate career. Now that I have applied (and received 2 invitations to interview so far,out of 7 schools applied to) I have found that transferring doesn't seem to hurt you. Especially if you can show resilency by keeping your grades up. Anyone that has ever moved (especially frequently) knows that being in a new town & school is disruptive to say the least. You WILL get "brownie" points for it, I promise. On another note, just make sure that you're looking into future medical schools NOW. I can tell you from personal experience that some schools will let you use the "military waiver" to let you receive resident tuition, but if you're applying to an out-of-state school (like Hawaii) you will still have to compete as an out-of-state resident during the application process. We had the option of getting transferred to Hawaii also...we turned it down when I found out that they have about a 0% out-of-state entrance rate. Just food for thought. (if anyone knows differently, please correct me...I don't want to discourage anyone with false info!)
I do agree that university credits look much better on your transcript that junior college, and some schools won't accept certain courses (ie - Organic) taught at a junior college level. Once again, look to the schools you're interested in NOW!

PS-I'm assuming you DON'T have Hawaiian ties...