Needing a bit of advice (pre-PA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsavage

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a bit of an unusual situation here and would be grateful for any advice. Little bit of background: I'm currently a EMT-B with about 100 hours of volunteer work, a couple past non-medicine related internships and I am currently finishing up my undergrad in Exercise Science within the year. I plan on working as an ER tech until I finish up my pre-reqs and then attending any PA school that has the courage to accept me; however, there is a bit of a problem with the plan.

Right now my GPA is not satisfactory (2.7 without retakes - will break 3.0 after a semester or two of hard work). The real problem lies with the school I attend, as I will not be able to retake any classes after graduation and I cannot land a decent job here due to over-saturation of the market (alot of emt students).

I am about less than a year to graduation, so transferring to a local state school would cost me about a year or two in classes. So I'm wondering if I ace my prereqs at a different college post-graduation and get some decent experience under my belt, is it likely that admissions will ignore my undergrad GPA? Or would I be better suited just to transfer now, accept my losses and finish up with a good undergrad GPA at a state school?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter where you finish up because all your grades will be counted so it isn't like you can wipe the slate clean or anything. Just finish up your classes and then do a post-bacc some place else if you need to.

Do PA schools replace grades or count both? MD schools count both. DO schools only count retakes.