Needing advice. Foreign or wait another year?

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by tristan, Jun 4, 2002.

  1. tristan

    tristan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 25, 2002
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    2
    Hello Everyone,

    I'm in a tight situation rith now because I'm not sure if I will be able to get into a US med school this year. My GPA is 3.65 with a 3.4 Science. I'm currently on hold at UCdavis and Finch/CMS, but from the looks of it I don't think I'm going to get in. I'm having trouble getting in because I bombed the MCAT. I got 7v 9p 10b. I'm looking at Carribean schools, but I don't konw if it's a good idea because I've heard so many negative things about them. I don't know what to do. I don't want to ruin my 40 years of practice, but I also realize that now is not the time to be prideful. Should I apply(deadlines are coming up) or should I just retake the MCAT and reapply in the US? If I go foreign, which schools are the best? Thanks for your help. I'm totally new at this.
     
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. Annette

    Annette gainfully employed
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 1999
    Messages:
    1,446
    Likes Received:
    3
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    If you have a chance at US, go US. Can you wait another year? If so, retake the MCAT. If you feel you can't wait, apply to a foreign school. You can always drop out of it if you get an acceptance to a US school. As for which foreign schools? Go with a fairly well established one. St. George's in Grenada has the best reputation. AUC in St. Martin probably has the best place to live; Ross is fairly well established but has a bad reputation for living conditions. Keep in mind there are a lot of difficulties associated with being an FMG.
     
  4. leorl

    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2001
    Messages:
    5,559
    Likes Received:
    12
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    tristan, don't panic yet. Your grades are decent, and a 26 on the MCAT isn't that extremely horrible. I think you probably will be able to get into a US school, so don't jump the gun just yet.
     
  5. leorl

    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2001
    Messages:
    5,559
    Likes Received:
    12
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    Although I'll probably get flamed for this, it seems like going Caribbean may not be the greatest option, because while there are undoubtedly a couple very excellent schools there, there is a lot of stigma attached to caribbean schooling. If you are open, would you try some place in UK/Ireland/AUS ? Although normally the "ranking" goes US MD > US DO > Carib > everywhere else, the western european english speaking countries are well-reputed for excellence, and the standards are quite high.

    But as I said before, it may be better for you to wait and reapply in the US if need be. People with far lower stats than you do this, and get in. You could also retake your MCAT.
     
  6. analu

    analu Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2002
    Messages:
    230
    Likes Received:
    1
    tristan, I agree with leorl...btw, how many schools did you apply to this cycle? I would say try again! Apply to more schools, beef up your EC's, take a second look at your PS, perhaps give the MCAT another try! In other words, if you're unsuccessful this go around, do everything you can to strengthen your app and give it another try!

    I really think that you can get into a US med school with your hard-earned gpa.
     
  7. tristan

    tristan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 25, 2002
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    2
    Thanks a lot for your comments. I have been thinking about them. I've decided that I'm going to give it another try. If I really want this then I would need to put more effort and time. I'm going to take the MCAT again and really study for it. I'm also going to take a few science classes and hopefully raise my SGPA to a 3.5. What's another year, right? Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. I wish you guys the best of luck in what you're doing.
     
  8. ApacheIndian

    ApacheIndian philomath
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2002
    Messages:
    541
    Likes Received:
    1
    Take it from a current Caribbean MS-IV... wait and go the U.S. route...
     
  9. chem01

    chem01 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2001
    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    0
    Tristan -- I am pretty much in the same boat: I applied for this fall, am on a waitlist, but
    re-took the MCAT for the last time in April.
    I am planning on applying to an offshore school along with other US Med. Schools for next fall.
     
  10. Winged Scapula

    Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2000
    Messages:
    38,417
    Likes Received:
    26,445
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    If you can do better on the MCAT by August, take it again. Otherwise, IMHO you'd be well advised to take a year off, study for the April 2003 exam, do well and reapply. Consider going abroad only if you've tried 2+ years and can't get into a US school.

    It appears that since you've gotten interviews, the main sticking point is your MCAT. Thus, I would expect you to be successful if you can bring that score up substantially.
     

Share This Page