Quantcast

Needing Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sim_md

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from Australia and I am currently majoring in Sports Medicine/Exercise Science over here in the States. I have a solid GPA, but I have yet to take Organic I, II and Biochem, I have taken my physics requirements and am currently taking my biology requirements. I was wondering when i should take the MCATS, I will graduate next year at the end of summer when I complete my internship. I was also wondering if Australian Med Schools prefer a GAMSAT score to a MCAT score. I have no idea as to where I want to study, I was even looking at Canada, are there any suggestions about Canadian Med Schools? Any reply would be much appreciated. Thanks
smile.gif

K

kimberlicox

Originally posted by sim_md:
I am from Australia and I am currently majoring in Sports Medicine/Exercise Science over here in the States. I have a solid GPA, but I have yet to take Organic I, II and Biochem, I have taken my physics requirements and am currently taking my biology requirements. I was wondering when i should take the MCATS, I will graduate next year at the end of summer when I complete my internship. I was also wondering if Australian Med Schools prefer a GAMSAT score to a MCAT score. I have no idea as to where I want to study, I was even looking at Canada, are there any suggestions about Canadian Med Schools? Any reply would be much appreciated. Thanks
smile.gif

When and if you take the MCATs depends on where you are interested in going to medical school. Most students interested in US programs take it in April of the year they apply (which is about 9 - 15 months before matriculation). And most US students take the MCAT after finishing the required courses (Physics, O Chem, Gen Chem and Bio).

If you are applying to the Australian schools as an Australian citizen (ie, not under their international quotients) at least Flinders and Sydney require the GAMSAT for Australians. International students may take either the GAMSAT or the MCAT. Each of the schools which take graduate entry students detail the requirements on their web sites.

Hope this helps.

Stephen Ewen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As usual, kimberlicox's info is right on.

gower

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"From Australia" is not very specific. A very large number of Americans are "from" somewhere else! Some are US Citizens, some have green cards, some are here temporarily to study and then must return home, some are here illegally, and some....

If you are not a US citizen or green card holder you face high odds against getting a US medical education, chief reasons probably being at the end of the line of several thousand applicants to each medical school, especially public ones, and, if accepted, your ability to pay for that education from your own funds.

Have you already discussed this with the premedical advisor at your college?