Needing an honest opinion....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angeeeeee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

angeeeeee said:
Here are the stats:

AA: 26
PAT: 20
QR: 25
RC: 24
BIO: 21
GC: 29
OC: 29
TS: 25

Cum GPA: 3.93
Science GPA: 3.92

**for anyone who has seen my post in the DAT discussion forum I made a mistake on the QR and RC scores (they are correct above)

I applied to Arizona, UoP, UCSF, USC, OHSU, and UW

I submitted AADSAS at the beginning of September so none of the schools have recieved my app. I called UoP last Friday and they said they had just recieved apps from August 10 b/c AADSAS is so far behind from the move.
My question is this: How bad do you think it is that my application was submitted so late??...I am really concerned that it will take the sparkle away from my stats and I will be overlooked...what do you all think? Also, does anyone know if schools have preferences for age? I am only 20 (DOB 5/5/84), and will be finishing my Biochem degree this June (in only 3 years) from the UW. Will the fact that I am so young be a drawback even though I have worked in a cardiology lab studying gene therapy on mice for atherosclerosis and have volunteered about 150 hours over the past year?

Thanks all and good luck applying/interviewing/etc!!
~Angie

Get real, your scores are great.. Go have a drink or something! You are going to be fine.. some people.. jeez

Members don't see this ad :)
if i had her stats i would be in heaven right now :p

I REALLLLY think shes joking, and if shes not, than maaaaaannnn.... she needs professional help.....

omar

You forgot to mention your Olympic gold medals and the summers you spent feeding the starving children in Africa. I'm not exactly sure what you're after here, but if you want a pat on the back...

:clap: :clap: :clap: WOW! GREAT JOB ANGEEEE. People like you make me proud to be a member of the SDN community. EXCELLENT WORK!!! BRAVO!!! BRAVISSIMO!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

How did you study for the DAT? esp Chem scores are near perfect. U have very impressive stats, the dentist I shadowed went to loma linda when he was 20, he was the youngest in his class. He was also in a the admission's committee there. I think age does not matter as long as you have a sense of maturity.

gatorfan99 said:
Get real, your scores are great.. Go have a drink or something! You are going to be fine.. some people.. jeez

i don't think she can have a drink, she's only 20. then again, Angie, are you blind, your stats have "acceptances" flashing all over it. some people man.....

I'm in a similar boat as you angeeeeee,

My stats are,

AA: 27
TS: 26
PA: 24

My GPA is 3.99 Cumulative and 3.99 Science

As you can see, I failed to get perfect scores on my DATs and 4.0 across the board for my GPA...In order to make me a more competitive applicant, I volunteered in a neurology lab studying the neuronal effects of the hippocampus on reinforcement during long term and short term memory, incorporating not only EEG's but CAT scans as well as MRI spectroscopy. Total hours volunteered in a dental office is about my lifetime, since my dad owns the biggest dentistry in the westcoast that all the dental schools are familiar with. Even with such insignificant background I wanted to make myself more competitive, so I got a PhD in Molecular Biochemistry with my thesis relating to the dentistry field...well one thing that I differ from you is that I am actually Mature and 30 years old...

do you think I will be at a disadvantage because I applied in October? :rolleyes: :thumbdown: +pity+

Man, that's freakin hillarious, i'm falling off my seat right now

That is, if you were joking? u are joking right...

Angeeeeee, you will be just fine. Your numbers are at the top of the stack - period - and unless you were sending your application in March you should be just fine. Go relax and enjoy yourself.

As I said in a previous post, you're a genius!! I wouldn't worry about your age. Your stats are so incredible, they'll be fighting over you.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm...i don't know...your stats are a bit low...you should consider applying to more schools to maximize your chances of getting in for this cycle...

just kidding of course.

but in all seriousness....are u crazy?! you have nothing to worry about at all! Those scores are unbelievable! And I'm just happy you're not applying to any of the same schools as I am :)

And as a side note....
GO YANKEES!!!!!

angeeeeee said:
Here are the stats:

**for anyone who has seen my post in the DAT discussion forum I made a mistake on the QR and RC scores (they are correct above)

I submitted AADSAS at the beginning of September so none of the schools have recieved my app. I called UoP last Friday and they said they had just recieved apps from August 10 b/c AADSAS is so far behind from the move.
My question is this: How bad do you think it is that my application was submitted so late??...I am really concerned that it will take the sparkle away from my stats and I will be overlooked...what do you all think? Also, does anyone know if schools have preferences for age? I am only 20 (DOB 5/5/84), and will be finishing my Biochem degree this June (in only 3 years) from the UW. Will the fact that I am so young be a drawback even though I have worked in a cardiology lab studying gene therapy on mice for atherosclerosis and have volunteered about 150 hours over the past year?

~Angie

Wow! You are stat's are very, very, very, very, and did I MENTION very excellent. As in what ever school lets you in you will skew their average. :mad:

Good Grief, you are really worried??????? :confused:

Surely you must know that a score of 18 or higher is a DAT score to be extremely proud of, let alone actually getting 29 for god's sake~! :D

For sure you are going to get interviews, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. Your age will only be a factor if you come across as some one you probably aren't. (immature.)

Your scores are that of a freaking Einstein! Really, you will do fine. Just make sure the AADSAS doesn't screw up and mail your application to the west indies because that is the only way you are not going to dental school.
And if you really do have those scores and experience don't let your age stand in your way. Always highlight the positives, we all have things that don't make us the perfect applicant and yes experience in real life does matter but .... you will be fine!

Congradulations! :luck:

angeeeeee said:
Here are the stats:

~Angie

where do you find time for all that?? did you volunteer in a dental setting?? even if you havent though you should be fine with those stats...

angeeeeee said:
I really appreciate everyone's opinions, they have helped calm my worries a lot. I feel like some people were annoyed with my post which is what I was afraid of, but I honestly didn't mean to offend anyone. I sijmply wanted to find out people's opinions on my later application and youth. I wish everyone the best of luck this application cycle and thanks so much for your input!
~Angie

Hey Angie - as everyone else pointed out, your scores are great and you don't need to worry at all at this time. Be patient and just kick back when you start receiving all those interview/acceptances, since there will be many. Good luck wherever you decide to go and congratulations on such wonderful stats!

angeeeeee said:
Here are the stats:

~Angie

Angie,

As I have told countless numbers of dental students with high [or even low] scores... the first questions MOST schools ask interviewees is not "tell me about your organic chemistry grade" but rather some variation of "why dentistry?" or "why do you want to be a dentist?"

I did not see a single mention in your post regarding field experience or knowledge of the profession. It is extremely critical that you have a good reason to know why you would like to study dentistry! Go shadow a dentist, any kind, because while it's not necessary to know how many teeth are in the mouth (I didn't until D-1 :p), it's critical for the school to know whether you are a good investment and won't drop out of school because you did not like the actual dentistry.

Other than that, great scores and keep up the good work.

-Mike

Hey Mike,

The 150 hours I have volunteered were with the Dental Fears Research Clinic at the UW Med Ctr. It's really a fun place because I can actually assist and the patients are of a unique type. I love it because we use psychology and relaxation techniques for our patients and I get to see a LOT of IV Sed. which isn't that common. Besides in clinic experiences, we also do a lot of community service events for needy and disabled/mentally handicapped children. I'm really excited about doing more and being able to have a bigger part in the treatment of people. Thanks for the reminder, though, what the real focus is about :)

~Angie

Hey Angeeee
The only thing that I would be concerned is that OHSU has the deadline for application submission on Nov 1, which mean there are only 17 days to go (count from Oct 13). Hopefully AADSAS will speed up their pace and get your application to OHSU on time. You might want to check with other schools' deadlines and make sure AADSAS will send things in for you right on the deadlines.

Please let me know if you got rejection from any school, because I would be surprised if any school does not want to accept you. (oh, by the way, you are applying to 2 schools that are the same with mine, and man, how much I am jealous of your scores!) Good Job and Good luck! You did wonderful, especially with the 29 on GC and OR!

Wow Angeeee, I am impressed!!! I think you be considered in the schools' perspective as a #1 pick (Perfect applicant). You don't need to worry, with your stats and experience, even if you apply in March you will still be able to get acceptance. You might even pick up a scholarship as well!

Your scores are amazing, you could send in your app in November and I'm sure you'd get into several schools! I'm only 19 and in the application process, been on 3 interviews and no one has mentioned the fact that I'm so young, so I wouldn't worry about it! Good luck...not that you need it! ;)

angeeeeee said:
Here are the stats:

Your GPA could use improvement: .07 more points to be exact. And your DAT scores aren't all 30. With that said, I say you have no reason even submitting your application because dental schools will surely throw it out. :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to start my own dental school, and we'll accept all the people on SDN who are doubting if their scores are enough. Our first incoming class should have an average GPA just shy of 4.0, with DAT scores around 22+.

Potential Student #1

Potential Student #2

Angeeeeee, would you like to apply?

Typo said:
I think I'm going to start my own dental school, and we'll accept all the people on SDN who are doubting if their scores are enough. Our first incoming class should have an average GPA just shy of 4.0, with DAT scores around 22+.

I think you got something here... :idea:

JavadiCavity said:
Forget dentistry, run for president . . . oh, wait, you're too young.

hm, i don't think u need to be that smart to run for president.... :smuggrin:

superman said:
hm, i don't think u need to be that smart to run for president.... :smuggrin:

Yeah, look at big George.

part of me thinks that your stats are BS, if not wow. Again you need to get your head examined if you think your not going to get into dental school this year.

Again are you for real! :D

Can you walk the walk, but the question is can you talk the talk!
straight up!

busupshot83 said:
Yeah, look at big George.
This is just in good fun - I suppose you could substitute whoever's name you want into this, but the e-mail I got was from a Republican . . .

John Kerry meets with the Queen of England. He asks her, "Your Majesty, how do you run such an efficient government? Are there any tips you can give to me?"

"Well," says the Queen, "the most important thing is to surround yourself with intelligent people."

Kerry frowns. "But how do I know the people around me are really intelligent?"

The Queen takes a sip of tea. "Oh, that's easy. You just ask them to answer an intelligent riddle." The Queen pushes a button on her intercom. "Please send Tony Blair in here, would you?"

Tony Blair walks into the room. "Yes, my Queen?" The Queen smiles. "Answer me this, please, Tony. Your mother and father have a child. It is not your brother and it is not your sister. Who is it?"

Without pausing for a moment, Tony Blair answers, "That would be me."

"Yes! Very good," says the Queen.

Kerry goes back home to ask John Edwards, his vice presidential choice the same question.

"John. Answer this for me. Your mother and your father have a child. It's not your brother and it's not your sister. Who is it?"

"I'm not sure," says John Edwards. "Let me get back to you on that one."

Edwards goes to his advisors and asks every one, but none can give him an answer. Finally, he ends up in the men's room and recognizes Colin Powell's shoes in the next stall. Edwards shouts, "Colin! Can you answer this for me? Your mother and father have a child and it's not your brother or your sister. Who is it?" Colin Powell yells back, "That's easy. It's me!"

Edwards smiles, and says, "Thanks!" Then, Edwards goes back to speak with Kerry. "Say, I did some research and I have the answer to that riddle. It's Colin Powell."

Kerry gets up, stomps over to John Edwards, and angrily yells into his face, "No, you idiot! It's Tony Blair!"