needle stick

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by dwstranger, Feb 21, 2002.

1. dwstranger

dwstranger Senior Member

Well, it happened. Had my first (and hopefully only) needle stick today. I'm doing my surgery rotation, and was assisting -- my hands were technically where they were supposed to be (at the end of my arms!), but the surgeon got me anyway. Although I definitely felt it, it seemed not to pierce the latex. It was almost all I could do not to rip off the glove to check my finger... After closing, I checked and (thank God) the skin was not broken...

Just goes to show, as with almost anything, a person can be really careful doing whatever it is they're doing, and someone else comes along and messes things up...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doughboy

doughboy Senior Member

I had a friend of mine assisting with the surgeon during a surgery and he got slashed with the knife. Careless surgeons are not the best. Plus, my friend got pissed because he wanted to get it checked out and get tested and the doctor wanted to finish the surgery. Geez...what more can you say. Lucky for him the patient was negative for everything.

4. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    Ouch!

Well I was interning with a Baltimore Medic Unit and I remember watching the Paramedic stick herself with an IV retracting it from the patient. It went straight through her finger.

5. autumnchai

autumnchai Member

I stuck myself last summer while doing phlebotomy...luckily it was on a patient who had worked for my grandfather and was very lowrisk (ie monogamous marriage for 20 yrs, no drugs, etc)...still, it scared the **** out of me, and I was even more shaken up after returning from occupational health and poking my next patient, a man with fullblown AIDS. Be careful but know that your chances of contracting HIV/Hepatitis even by poking yourself with a needle contaminated with those viruses is exceedingly low. Still a freaky experience...I go for my 6-month follow-up HIV test tomorrow...wish me luck.

6. wvshootr

wvshootr Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Well, i have yet to get stuck, though I'm sure it will happen. I plan on going into OB, so most of them have numerous sticks before finishing residency. Sewing up episiotomies are notorious for it.

Anyway.....I was just as scared....when I was on my OB clerkship, i went into my first delivery, and was standing well behind the delivering resident, several feet behind actually. I was just primarily watching, not even gowned. Well, when the placenta delivered, it shot blood across the room, and straight into my eye. Didn't even see it coming, and couldn't even blink. Went straight and covered my eyeball. Talk about being nervous. I had to fun and pull out my contact lens and wash my eye out for several minutes. Good thing about OB is, we already have their HIV and HepB status on file. Negative for me, thank goodness. But from now on, i never go into a delivery without some sort of glasses!!!

wvshootr

7. Future GI Guy

Future GI Guy Hoo Hoo....

The chances of getting HIV from a needle stick, even when the patient is HIV, is 1 in 300 for health care workers. If the patient's status is unknown, that risk dramatically goes down.

One should always get tested right afterward, of course, to prove that you're seronegative before the event occured. If, by chance, you get it, then that test will help facilitate compensation (I think this falls under workman's comp...but not sure) down the road.

Good luck. This is another rite of passage for all medical students, I think.

PS--I poked another student with a scalpel blade one time, but we'd been working on cadavers. Still, it's very easy, so watch your hands!

8. dwstranger

dwstranger Senior Member

Yeah, I neglected to mention that I worked at an AIDS Service Center for a long time, and did HIV/AIDS education, along with stuff for STDs and Hep... so I do know the stats regarding infection -- AND that it's more likely a health care worker will infect a patient than the other way around. But it was still freaky...