negative comments on FP by other docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

organicmatter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've submitted my application and have some interviews lined up. Things are going according to plan. But I can't shake the comments I often hear from residents and doctors in other fields when I tell them I'm going into FP. They talk about how hard FPs work, how hard they fight to get reimbursed, the nasty call schedule, etc. etc. I've even spoken to an ED doc who was previously an FP and he confirms what others have been telling me. Anyone out there have thoughts on this? I could use some insight since I seem to lack it right now.

Members don't see this ad.

FP IS tough. But rewarding too.
Search MANY THREADS on FP vs. other specialties. Above all, form your own opinion. You will have plenty of time to decide whether FP is for you during clinical rotations.

organicmatter said:
I've submitted my application and have some interviews lined up. Things are going according to plan. But I can't shake the comments I often hear from residents and doctors in other fields when I tell them I'm going into FP. They talk about how hard FPs work, how hard they fight to get reimbursed, the nasty call schedule, etc. etc. I've even spoken to an ED doc who was previously an FP and he confirms what others have been telling me. Anyone out there have thoughts on this? I could use some insight since I seem to lack it right now.

organicmatter said:

Read the Sticky thread above. It is very well done and well written.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you can find a specialty that docs in other fields do not warn you about, you have found a good one....

try saying that you are going to do ob! watch what they say then. or tell a surgeon you want to do IM (or vice versa).

I've heard the same. But you know, you can't say something ridiculous like "all family docs have terrible call schedules" because that depends entirely on the group you are in, your situation, etc.

We all want to feel like we've chosen the "best" field. We all also have this sinking feeling in our gut that the grass just might be greener in rads, or derm, or whatever. I guess there are people out there who are insecure enough that THEY have chosen wrongly that they feel they need to steer others away from fields they didn't choose.

The thing I love about this field is that you can be incredibly creative in how you practice, if you are smart and willing to think outside the box. You can do cash only, locum tenens, rural, urban, solo, group, etc. etc. etc...

Just go with your gut and let those comments slide. I've met way more happy family docs than unhappy ones, for what it's worth.

I am an FP. Let me tell you a little bit about my practice. I work on an exclusive, tropical resort island paradise where the wealthy from all over the world come to live and play. I work Monday through Friday from 8:00AM to 5:00PM. I never work evenings, weekends or holidays. I am not on call to see patients. I do not provide any inpatient care. My office is located about 10 minutes from some of the finest beaches in the world. Last but not least, I make a good salary and have excellent benefits.

Still think FP is bad????