negativity in medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trapperjohn

Trapper John
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
maybe its just me, but any med students (including people on SDN), interns, residents, and practicing attendings that talk to me about starting medical school this fall have nothing but negative insights about the profession. stuff like "medicine isnt what it used to be, lots of surgeons and physicians go bankrupt due to malpractice and high insurance, the patient/doctor relationship is terrible now with the patient constantly having mistrust of the doctor, hmos pay a third less for procedures then doctors used to get paid a decade ago, mcdonalds employees get paid more per hour then you do in residency, med school results in no social life, stress, insane course loads, ect." and the most annoying of all "if i were to do it again, i would definetly not go into medicine" from guys that are younger then M4s. i'm totally sick of this attitude. only half of the people applying for med school get in so lots of people wish they were in our spots. if you dont want to be in this profession then quit and give someone else a chance. obviously it must be a demanding process to master medicine and obviously not every aspect of this 7 plus year process wont be perfect and pleasant. so stop b*tching about it and say something positive for once.

Members don't see this ad.

don't worry about these negative people because they either didn't achieve what they wanted to or that they expected to be spoon-fed when they achieved their MD but in real life you gotta work for the dollars. I don't know of any docs who are bankrupt but then again their are docs who don't know how to save money, invest wrongly and whose wife/husband/children are draining every penny that comes in. As for med students who are negative about everything, they aren't humble enough imo, their grades probably sux, they probably realized that they wouldn't be in the residency of their dream, can't get dates, expected to be at the top of their class score 260 on step I but reality sets in after the first test of first year. You got to understand one thing about med students: we WHINE about everything, trust me. Avoid these people, live a little, their are plenty of time in med school for socializing just don't do it the week before exam.

While I can see your point, I also feel that sdn is a place where people in the medical profession can come and vent their frustrations to people who understand. There's a lot wrong with medicine, and a lot of times it's just easier to complain and dwell on the negative than the positive.

Members don't see this ad :)
trapperjohn said:
maybe its just me, but any med students (including people on SDN), interns, residents, and practicing attendings that talk to me about starting medical school this fall have nothing but negative insights about the profession. stuff like "medicine isnt what it used to be, lots of surgeons and physicians go bankrupt due to malpractice and high insurance, the patient/doctor relationship is terrible now with the patient constantly having mistrust of the doctor, hmos pay a third less for procedures then doctors used to get paid a decade ago, mcdonalds employees get paid more per hour then you do in residency, med school results in no social life, stress, insane course loads, ect." and the most annoying of all "if i were to do it again, i would definetly not go into medicine" from guys that are younger then M4s. i'm totally sick of this attitude. only half of the people applying for med school get in so lots of people wish they were in our spots. if you dont want to be in this profession then quit and give someone else a chance. obviously it must be a demanding process to master medicine and obviously not every aspect of this 7 plus year process wont be perfect and pleasant. so stop b*tching about it and say something positive for once.

i agree. i find this attitude very sad. it's just so uninspiring...they should have done something else. +pity+

marr said:
about med students: we WHINE about everything, trust me. Avoid these people, live a little, their are plenty of time in med school for socializing just don't do it the week before exam.

Spoken like a true champion of dharma.

It's not medicine. The people who end up cynical were probably lazy, naive, needy, and greedy to begin with. I'll bet I can pick out who the unhappy doctors will be from my second year class with 80% accuracy.

I mean seriously...medicine is an awesome profession. We get to study human structure and function, health, and disease, a subject far more interesting than the super-specialized careers in science. We get to work with patients and see the results of our efforts first hand. We rarely or never feel that we are mere cogs in a machine. Many fields in medicine involve a physical or technical challenge in addition to an intellectual one, satisfying doctors who are so inclined. We have many opportunities to work as volunteers to make a positive difference in our communities or overseas. Finally, we are well paid and well respected. No wonder we are displayed in the media more than any other profession and viewed with envious and admiring eyes.

Will my optimism be broken by the clinical years? Only time will tell.

trapperjohn said:

I agree with you that there is a lot of negativity (some of it founded), and think that is reflective of a lot of people going into the profession with their eyes closed to some of the realities. People who really researched their decision and expect what they get, less frequently complain about it. Someone who wants to work bankers' hours, never put up with patients or insurance companies, and earn a mint like their rich uncle did back in the day might be on the wrong path. As for those complainers quitting, I don't see it happenning, if they have big loans. We are stuck with them thanks to the old golden handcuffs -- they don't like it and cannot now afford to change. So they will continue their diatribes, and eat away at the profession like a cancer. :)

I think that you would find a lot of unhappy people in any profession, not just medicine. Is it disproportionate? That I cannot say. I think however that because medicine is the commitment that it is, we tend to pay a disproportionate amount of attention to those warn us not to do this.
As well, I am assuming that if you got into medical school that at some point along the process you have had some positive events occur, that make you think "wow I really want to do this".
My philosophy is just try to be a happy, pleasant human being, and that medicine as a career will work with you and you find it rewarding. I know a lot of older and younger physicians that would agree.

Don't let them get to ya.

I will agree with the optimists....choosins a proffession is always difficult...look nobody knows from birth where they will end wen! its just that everyone one of us is a special being doing what He/She is meant to do....we get inspiration from our elders or surroundings if they are appealing!at times its thrown to us as an obligation....

i think people have set higher goals then they can acheive...provoked by media....3 hour movies that take a man from soil to sky...doctors have to work hard persistently constantly not loosing their ground and keeping their chin high.....so in end you are refined you learn to love and care for the people who are just ur resposibility....

Man I love what am doin and thank God for it......its awesome!

Wish you all the best :thumbup:

trapperjohn said:

Hi there,
I am a senior surgical resident who loves everything about what I do. I cannot wait to get to work in the morning and I love all of the challenges that surgery had presented me and presents to me on a daily basis. This residency has been long, physically and mentally demanding but it has been great fun too.

I am not going to blow smoke and sunshine up your a-- but medicine has loads of drawbacks. It is not the lucrative profession that it once was. Gone are the days of instant ticket to the country club. Reimbursments are down and going down every year; malpractice premiums are going up and high for surgical specialties and some physicians are going bankrupt because of huge overhead costs and the changing face of private practice. Few medical school applicants understand the business of medical practice and practice building. Even fewer understand the seriousness of some issues facing practicing physicans today.

Medicine is a very difficult profession in that it takes years of expensive preparation with little guarantees at the other end. One is often forced to make life and professional decisions within medicine with huge life-changing implications and often on very short notice.

Reimbursements are at the hands of Congress. The AMA is a very poor lobbying agency in terms of representing the interests of practicing and student physicians. This past year we (I am part of that physician lobby) lobbied for studying ways to decrease the debt load for physicians who enter primary care. Currently there is the HSP program and armed forces but that is about it. We also lobbied to study reducing the debt load on students coming out of medical school in terms of making and keeping interest rates very low. (Medical students carry some of the highest loans of any profession). We also lobbied for changing the reimbursement formula (currently tied to the GNP which has nothing to do with cost of practice) to reflect increased costs of practice. The amount that a general surgeon is paid for doing a hernia is much less today than even three years ago. Much of our lobbying efforts fell on deaf ears in terms of Congress.

Medicine is very, very difficult to do well. The hours are very long and patients are very sick. For many physicians, in order to make a living, they have to see a huge volume of patients with complicated pathology in a very short period of time. Many HMOs and insurance companies have replaced primary care physicians with mid-level practicioners as a cost-cutting measure.

Still, I love to operate and I would choose medicine/surgery if I had it to do over. There is nothing more satisfying for me than operating the entire day. It's instant gratification even when things do not go routine. There is always a challenge and I love it. I also work very hard and very long to hone my skills and knowledge.

If you are entering medicine for prestige, respect and money, you are likely to be disappointed. If you are entering medicine because you love the work and enjoy the challenge, you are likely to love your profession.

njbmd :)

trapperjohn said:

I agree with your point that if people do not enjoy their work they should drop out and give someone else a chance. Personally I am going to try to match into a surgical specialty and if that does not work out EM or peds. I think if you forget about the glitz and focus on the chance you're given for lifelong service the long hours will seem worth your energy. People without this attitude from the beginning will be bitter if they are not able to establish the lifestyle they want by failing to place into certain specialties.

silas2642 said:
While I can see your point, I also feel that sdn is a place where people in the medical profession can come and vent their frustrations to people who understand. There's a lot wrong with medicine, and a lot of times it's just easier to complain and dwell on the negative than the positive.

If you're whiny on SDN, you're whiny IRL. You can hide your name on the Internet, but you can't hide your soul. ;)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
I am a senior surgical resident who loves everything about what I do. I cannot wait to get to work in the morning and I love all of the challenges that surgery had presented me and presents to me on a daily basis. This residency has been long, physically and mentally demanding but it has been great fun too.

I am not going to blow smoke and sunshine up your a-- but medicine has loads of drawbacks. It is not the lucrative profession that it once was. Gone are the days of instant ticket to the country club. Reimbursments are down and going down every year; malpractice premiums are going up and high for surgical specialties and some physicians are going bankrupt because of huge overhead costs and the changing face of private practice. Few medical school applicants understand the business of medical practice and practice building. Even fewer understand the seriousness of some issues facing practicing physicans today.

Medicine is a very difficult profession in that it takes years of expensive preparation with little guarantees at the other end. One is often forced to make life and professional decisions within medicine with huge life-changing implications and often on very short notice.

Reimbursements are at the hands of Congress. The AMA is a very poor lobbying agency in terms of representing the interests of practicing and student physicians. This past year we (I am part of that physician lobby) lobbied for studying ways to decrease the debt load for physicians who enter primary care. Currently there is the HSP program and armed forces but that is about it. We also lobbied to study reducing the debt load on students coming out of medical school in terms of making and keeping interest rates very low. (Medical students carry some of the highest loans of any profession). We also lobbied for changing the reimbursement formula (currently tied to the GNP which has nothing to do with cost of practice) to reflect increased costs of practice. The amount that a general surgeon is paid for doing a hernia is much less today than even three years ago. Much of our lobbying efforts fell on deaf ears in terms of Congress.

Medicine is very, very difficult to do well. The hours are very long and patients are very sick. For many physicians, in order to make a living, they have to see a huge volume of patients with complicated pathology in a very short period of time. Many HMOs and insurance companies have replaced primary care physicians with mid-level practicioners as a cost-cutting measure.

Still, I love to operate and I would choose medicine/surgery if I had it to do over. There is nothing more satisfying for me than operating the entire day. It's instant gratification even when things do not go routine. There is always a challenge and I love it. I also work very hard and very long to hone my skills and knowledge.

If you are entering medicine for prestige, respect and money, you are likely to be disappointed. If you are entering medicine because you love the work and enjoy the challenge, you are likely to love your profession.

Thank you so much for this well-thought and insightful post!!

njbmd said:
I am not going to blow smoke and sunshine up your a-- but medicine has loads of drawbacks. It is not the lucrative profession that it once was. Gone are the days of instant ticket to the country club. Reimbursments are down and going down every year; malpractice premiums are going up and high for surgical specialties and some physicians are going bankrupt because of huge overhead costs and the changing face of private practice...

Thanks for spelling this out so clearly for all of us who are about to enter the chamber :)

njbmd said:

Agree 100%

njbmd said:
Hi there,

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Margaritaville said:
If you're whiny on SDN, you're whiny IRL. You can hide your name on the Internet, but you can't hide your soul. ;)

"For I have seen the nipple on your soul!!!" (Seinfeld quote)