Negotiate pre-req waivers if you have a bachelors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TennisBoy78

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a bachelors degree. In my research, pre-reqs vary so widely among pharmacy schools. I dont want to have to take any Physical Ed or pottery classes at some of these schools if listed as pre-reqs.

Which schools are the most lenient when it comes to negotiating out of taking bogus pre-requisites (like some of those I listed above)? I understand that everyone may need to do bio, chem (inorganic and organic), calculus, english comp, etc, but some classes (as mentioned in the first paragraph and the pottery class is being facetious) are stupid.

I dont care where I go to school, but I want to know which schools are the most lenient in forgiving some of these bogus classes. Also, are there some schools that will take you if you have a bachelors without having taken all of their set pre-reqs (I have taken all the chem, bio, and calculus).

Please just email me schools and their specific policy if possible (I dont want the "call each school"-my phone bill is too high as it is). Your help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just want to get this thread at the top so I can get some feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
TennisBoy78 said:
I have a bachelors degree. In my research, pre-reqs vary so widely among pharmacy schools. I dont want to have to take any Physical Ed or pottery classes at some of these schools if listed as pre-reqs.

Which schools are the most lenient when it comes to negotiating out of taking bogus pre-requisites (like some of those I listed above)? I understand that everyone may need to do bio, chem (inorganic and organic), calculus, english comp, etc, but some classes (as mentioned in the first paragraph and the pottery class is being facetious) are stupid.

I dont care where I go to school, but I want to know which schools are the most lenient in forgiving some of these bogus classes. Also, are there some schools that will take you if you have a bachelors without having taken all of their set pre-reqs (I have taken all the chem, bio, and calculus).

Please just email me schools and their specific policy if possible (I dont want the "call each school"-my phone bill is too high as it is). Your help is much appreciated. Thanks!

I have a bachelor's degree, so I can understand your frustration. Most schools will waive the "general education" classes if you have a bachelor's degree. But, pre-requisites that are considered "college of pharmacy" pre-requisites usually do not get waived unless you can prove that you've taken that class or the equivalent of that class. For instance, the university may require certain gen ed classes like art, phys ed, history, etc, so if you already have a bachelor's degree MOST schools would never make you take those. However, the college of pharmacy may have additional classes that they require besides the typical science pre-reqs. Those you would have to fulfill unless you took that class as part of your bachelor's degree. The program I am in required Economics and Political Science as part of the "college of pharmacy" pre-reqs. So since I had taken Poly Sci, I didn't have to take that one, but I never had taken Econ, so I had to end up taking that one.

Creighton told me that they would consider waiving speech requirement if I could provide documentation (which I could have) of equivalent job experience or other relevant time spent doing formal speeches. Also, they have challenge exams for some of their general science classes once you are accepted, so you might not have to repeat if you already took anatomy, etc.

I wonder if I could waive ethics

Yup i think some of the pre-reqs are stupid. If you look at temple, they make you take Intellectual Heritage, American Culture, Studies in Race, etc...Its a bunch of bull crap. Those classes have nothing to do with pharmacy. They told me that even with a degree those classes can't be waived.

My five cents,
I wouldn't be asking any school to be waiving prereqs for you until your into that school. If you were applying to my school and started asking those kinds of questions I would be asking myself does he think he is too good for our program, and where does this stop. Will Tennis think he doesn't need to take biochem, or our physiology courses because he has already taken that form of a class some where else?
DR