negotiating at the VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My apologies if this has been discussed, but I didn't find anything after a search. I am considering an offer for a part-time position at the VA (will be out of fellowship by acceptance time). I realize there isn't much room for salary negotiation with VA positions, but I'm curious if others have experience negotiating for anything else that they wouldn't mind sharing.

Members don't see this ad.

I was offered a position after having about 1 year and 7 months post-doc experience as well as a full license. The standards board put me at GS12 step one, which neither myself nor my chief were very satisfied about. I negotiated up, not to GS13 of course, but pretty darn close. This was easy to do with the backing of the service chief, but if you dont have that, I would imagine you will likely have to take what they offer. It never hurts to try though if you have sufficient reason to think you are above the level the standards board assigns you.