Negotiating for Funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whypsy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's considered rude to push for more fellowship/stipend money once the school of interest has accepted you and you have other offers on the table. This is especially considering more than one school really has shown strong interest in wanting me there.

I mean I don't want to be a jerk about it, but also I believe some of the duties asked of me are going to be more demanding than of the usual graduates. So I feel it's somewhat justified.

Members don't see this ad.

It is not unheard of negotiate. If you want to go to one place more that the other, but the place you are less thrilled about is offering you more money, you can call your first choice and say that you are still very interested in the program, but program B is offering you X amount of money and ask if they would be able to match it. If they can't they will say no and you will have to make a decision from there, but if they have wiggle room, they will work with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might find this thread helpful:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=705018&highlight=funding

About halfway into the thread, the discussion turns to negotiating funding.

Ah I remember that -- but has anyone actually had it work for them? (Only one person in the above thread replied to that saying it had). And if they have, was this for a strong phd program that was already giving you full tuition and a decent stipend? I only ask because I've been thinking about this lately and don't want to push my luck by coming across as ungrateful.

Ah I remember that -- but has anyone actually had it work for them? (Only one person in the above thread replied to that saying it had). And if they have, was this for a strong phd program that was already giving you full tuition and a decent stipend? I only ask because I've been thinking about this lately and don't want to push my luck by coming across as ungrateful.

The keys to success: 1) having more than one offer of acceptance, 2) stipend being better at the other program, 3) not having accepted the offer yet.

That's what I gained from the other thread. You definitely need to be cautious, but it obviously did work for at least one poster on the other thread.

The keys to success: 1) having more than one offer of acceptance, 2) stipend being better at the other program, 3) not having accepted the offer yet.

That's what I gained from the other thread. You definitely need to be cautious, but it obviously did work for at least one poster on the other thread.

Also this might not be so obvious but make sure the PIs (or DCTs in my case) dont know each other, if they know each other or worse yet work together it could cause some issues... Happened to me.... not good times and no one looks good in that scenario.

Also this might not be so obvious but make sure the PIs (or DCTs in my case) dont know each other, if they know each other or worse yet work together it could cause some issues... Happened to me.... not good times and no one looks good in that scenario.

I would guess that most students who were admitted into programs were admitted because of their fit with their PIs, so wouldn't this be a rather common scenario?

How did you handle asking for a larger stipend? I definitely think some people can pull this off and some cannot. I could never feel comfortable enough to negotiate. That's probably why my raises are sad.

Ok I'm not sure if this has been discussed here but I'm wondering if people are asking the program for some kind of financial assistance for their move? And if you do ask for that, would you ask after accepting the offer or before accepting the offer? Is this even normal?

Ok I'm not sure if this has been discussed here but I'm wondering if people are asking the program for some kind of financial assistance for their move? And if you do ask for that, would you ask after accepting the offer or before accepting the offer? Is this even normal?

I actually did contact my POI who is also the DCT about assistance moving. She basically told me that the school used to have funding to help certain students do this, but the grad school told them it had to stop because it was unethical? I dunno, but she told me that basically she wanted me there no matter what and offered to loan me her own money to move there... which I graciously declined but then said only as a last case scenario...

does anyone know any ways to get funding to move? I am not working and don't really have rich parents and "alternative" loans aren't an option... so I'm wondering if anyone else had any ideas about this... Like my POI is so nice, she even offered to let me stay at her place where she has a separate apartment in her house... I don't really want to start off our relationship like that, but if I have to I will...

Basically loans come in after school starts so it looks like I might be staying at her place unless I find some other way... ideas?

p.s. after speaking with her about my financial situation, she went out of her way asking people on campus about this type of funding and has even looked for additional fellowships and applied for them on my behalf. Its awesome and nice of her, but still doesn't help me with funding to arrive

Last edited:
I actually did contact my POI who is also the DCT about assistance moving. She basically told me that the school used to have funding to help certain students do this, but the grad school told them it had to stop because it was unethical? I dunno, but she told me that basically she wanted me there no matter what and offered to loan me her own money to move there... which I graciously declined but then said only as a last case scenario...

does anyone know any ways to get funding to move? I am not working and don't really have rich parents and "alternative" loans aren't an option... so I'm wondering if anyone else had any ideas about this... Like my POI is so nice, she even offered to let me stay at her place where she has a separate apartment in her house... I don't really want to start off our relationship like that, but if I have to I will...

Basically loans come in after school starts so it looks like I might be staying at her place unless I find some other way... ideas?

p.s. after speaking with her about my financial situation, she went out of her way asking people on campus about this type of funding and has even looked for additional fellowships and applied for them on my behalf. Its awesome and nice of her, but still doesn't help me with funding to arrive

I tend to move as much as I can through the USPS. It costs far less than a moving van, and I donate any bigger items, such as beds to the Salvation Army. . . .

I tend to put my move on a credit card, and then pay it off once I start getting paid from my assistantship. Also, if you're not currently working, you could get a part-time job. If you are currently, working, see if you can work a few more hours each week. Every little bit will help out.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It's been very helpful.