Negotiating for time and money for a MBA in Academic Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icecoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm reviewing an offer that expects me to work 4 full days as a clinician in an academic center at an urban center.
One of my goals is to become an administrator in the future.

Is it reasonable to ask to see if they would be willing to give time for an executive MBA (2 months in 2 year) and fund it (about 120k, perhaps after 5 years then vest it over 5 years period to make sure I bring that back to the institution)?

Also, any tips for trying to negotiate the 8 half days to 7 half days?

Thank you very much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, any tips for trying to negotiate the 8 half days to 7 half days?
You just have to ask, either they say yes or no or somewhere in the middle for a win-win situation. They're unlikely to rescind the offer because you requested that. I would suggest writing a very polite email to say you're very appreciative of the offer but "... ...... ....."

Regarding MBA, you might want to research your future academic institution has affiliated universities that offer discounts or free-tuition for employees. The argument on the usefulness of MBA/MHA aside, I personally wouldn't get into long-term commitment with an employer( a new employer at that) for an MBA degree when I can easily cash-flow the cost with a physician salary.

Reactions: 1 user
You just have to ask, either they say yes or no or somewhere in the middle for a win-win situation. They're unlikely to rescind the offer because you requested that. I would suggest writing a very polite email to say you're very appreciative of the offer but "... ...... ....."

Regarding MBA, you might want to research your future academic institution has affiliated universities that offer discounts or free-tuition for employees. The argument on the usefulness of MBA/MHA aside, I personally wouldn't get into long-term commitment with an employer( a new employer at that) for an MBA degree when I can easily cash-flow the cost with a physician salary.
Thank you for your advice!