Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

NEJM - The Economics of Graduate Medical Education (Good read)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Thego2guy, 05.15.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Thego2guy

Thego2guy 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I found this to be an interesting read given the reputation of the authors and the publisher. I figured you guys would enjoy it and if we have any floating med students/residents around here, they can chime in on this topic.

Edit: Here is the link

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1402468

DifferentialDiagnosis likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Daisy the Dog Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    SDN
    Author
    I completely agree. Panel B is all you need to see to understand what's going on here. No increase in funding towards residencies yet the number of residents continues to increase. The argument that residents are a net drain on the hospital is ludicrous. Quite the contrary: cheap labor in the form of residents saves hospitals money by allowing them to not pay a midlevel to do the same work at probably double the cost while freeing up attendings to generate more volume.

No matter what anyone says, it's all about the Benjamins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thego2guy and allojay like this.
  4. Thoroughbred_Med

Thoroughbred_Med 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Totally agree. This was a great article.

Of course, no medical student wants to hear this but someone had to be the one to publish those figures...

5. Thego2guy

Thego2guy 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree with you. Have you seen this recent thread though? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/why-do-residents-make-so-little.1068298/

A lot of the residents and attendings tend to disagree with the notion that residents yield a net profit. Hence when I saw this article in NEJM today I immediately thought of that thread. Anecdotal evidence < economic + statistical analysis.

About the ads