NEJM - The Economics of Graduate Medical Education (Good read)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thego2guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this to be an interesting read given the reputation of the authors and the publisher. I figured you guys would enjoy it and if we have any floating med students/residents around here, they can chime in on this topic.

Edit: Here is the link

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1402468

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I completely agree. Panel B is all you need to see to understand what's going on here. No increase in funding towards residencies yet the number of residents continues to increase. The argument that residents are a net drain on the hospital is ludicrous. Quite the contrary: cheap labor in the form of residents saves hospitals money by allowing them to not pay a midlevel to do the same work at probably double the cost while freeing up attendings to generate more volume.

No matter what anyone says, it's all about the Benjamins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
I completely agree. Panel B is all you need to see to understand what's going on here. No increase in funding towards residencies yet the number of residents continues to increase. The argument that residents are a net drain on the hospital is ludicrous. Quite the contrary: cheap labor in the form of residents saves hospitals money by allowing them to not pay a midlevel to do the same work at probably double the cost while freeing up attendings to generate more volume.

Totally agree. This was a great article.

Of course, no medical student wants to hear this but someone had to be the one to publish those figures...

I agree with you. Have you seen this recent thread though? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/why-do-residents-make-so-little.1068298/

A lot of the residents and attendings tend to disagree with the notion that residents yield a net profit. Hence when I saw this article in NEJM today I immediately thought of that thread. Anecdotal evidence < economic + statistical analysis.