1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Nellie Mae vs. Sallie Mae

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by sms25, Jul 26, 2006.

1. sms25

sms25 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I'm looking for an alternative loan for school because the federal loan just won't cut it. I've looked at several options and I've come across a GradPlus loan offered by Nellie Mae and a Graduate Plus by Sallie Mae. I was wondering if anyone has used either company and if one is better than the other. The loans seem pretty similar to me and I'm trying to decide which to apply for (or if there's a better company out there). Any input would be greatly appreciated, since this whole private loan thing is new to me.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 2Bsure

2Bsure Member
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Nellie Mae is a subsidiary of Sally Mae so I don't know how the interest rates and terms of loans they offer would be substantially different.

4. sms25

sms25 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I was not aware of that. It didn't really look like there was a big difference. Thanks.

5. kate_g

kate_g Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    There's a whole SDN forum on financial aid, you might want to check that out - be forewarned, though, that there's a *lot* of information and there are a *lot* of choices for getting loans beyond the federal amounts, and the people on that forum deal with some pretty complicated stuff. So if you want a simple answer and are happy with the Sallie/Nellie option, it might actually be best *not* to go look at the fin. aid forum... :)