Neonatology at Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrStacey69

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there has done the Neonatology rotation at Johns Hopkins Hospital. I am supposed to do it next month but I just found out that it's going to cost me $250 for the rotation (not to mention $400 for a dorm room) and I want to make sure that the rotation is worth the money before I lay it out. I have already laid out several hundred dollars to do rotations at certain hospitals and quite frankly, they weren't worth it.

While we're on the subject, does anyone else think that it sucks that some hospitals make you pay for rotations on top of the money you are already paying for tuition?

Anyway, if anyone out there can give me some advice, I would appreciate it. Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Stacey,

I am just an undergrad, and therefore, have never heard of this practice. Why do they make you pay for rotations?

Alicia

Hi, Alicia -

I wish I knew. I think it's a way to deter students from other schools from invading their hallowed halls. Hopkins is far from the only hospital guilty of this practice; my understanding is some lesser-quality hospitals do this as well.

Incidentally, I am Hopkins grad as well - I did my Masters there. So much for loyalty to their alumni! ;) Anyway, so long as it's a good rotation I don't mind, but if it sucks I'm going to be really pissed!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Stacey, I can't common on Hopkins specifically, but if you are still in the process of setting up rotations, I would highly recommend Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. I worked there for 2 years, and most of the students I met who rotated through there, specifically those on away rotations, really enjoyed their time and seemed to find it useful.

I want to second lilycat's recommendation. Packard Children's Hospital (part of Stanford Hospitals and Clinics) has an amazing NICU, and wonderful faculty who work there. I know several students (Stanford students as well as students doing away rotations) who have done that rotation, and they really enjoyed it and learned a lot from it.

I don't think that Stanford has an enrollment fee (besides the typical application fee), but housing is really expensive here, so it will probably cost around the same as if you went to JHU for a month. Anyway, you may want to consider looking into it. The NICU rotation actually still has spaces open in it for this fall and winter (and if the dates don't work out right, I bet that they will be able to change them around for you).