neonatology fellowships in the northeast and west coast.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bekham

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a bit premature but im going to join as an intern in a uniersity program in the northeast and just wanted t know what I should do to snatch a good fellowship program in neonatology.....Another query is to know how competetive nowadays neo is to get....ad lastly what are the good neo fellowships in the NE/west/south that have great academics research and resources...while not killing you during the process :D

Members don't see this ad.

what are the good neo fellowships in the NE/west/south that have great academics research and resources...while not killing you during the process :D

What do you have against the midwest? :confused:

I generally tell folks that the first year of neo fellowship (same thing is true for other intensive care pedi fields such as cardiology and PICU) is very similar to internship again in terms of hours and night-call. Responsibility is greater but stress is about the same as you are prepared for it and after all, this is what you've chosen to do. I don't think any programs in neo are extremely malignant, or at least I haven't heard them described that way.

Meanwhile, just do well in internship and get to know the faculty in the critical care areas as best you can.

Would having an MPH in any way increase ur application weightage when applying for fellwoships in critical care fields....especially say if u dont have much exposure to research previously??
Not that I think doing an MPH with internship is easy but just to know:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Would having an MPH in any way increase ur application weightage when applying for fellwoships in critical care fields....especially say if u dont have much exposure to research previously??
Not that I think doing an MPH with internship is easy but just to know:)

Well, it might increase your "weight for age" if you ate a lot of high sugar foods while sitting through all those classes in epidemiology. :laugh:

As to whether it would improve your application for fellowship, in general, not much, unless you were specifically interested in "outcomes" research, in which case you could use that as a start to your fellowship research. If applying to a fellowship program, and there are several, with a lot of outcomes type of projects, it might be helpful. I wouldn't do an MPH for that reason however.