Neonatology & residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cameron

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year student and pediatrics is currently at the top of my list. I'm very interested in neonatology but have a few questions regarding residency programs. I've noticed that, relatively speaking, there aren't a lot of fellowship programs in neonatology. If I am interested in neonatology, is it essential that I match at a peds residency program that also has a neonatology fellowship program? I know that people routinely do fellowships at programs other than where they did their residency training, but I was just wondering what people thought. Also, how competitive is neonatology relative to other peds subspecialties? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello:

I suspect that Dr. HiFi will answer this as well, however, pending his insight, here are a few answers.

In general, there aren't a lot of pedi specialty programs, but neonatology actually has quite a few compared to other pedi specialties, although many are very small in terms of the number of fellows. It really isn't necessary to go to a highly academic residency or one that has a large neonatology fellowship program in order to get a fellowship position in neonatology. Of course, it helps to look for a program with a reasonably sized intensive care nursery in which residents get experience with procedures such as intubation and umbilical catheter placement. However, become expert at these isn't really crucial either for getting a good position.

I can't comment too much about the relative competitiveness of pedi specialties but I don't think there is much trouble getting a spot at a good program assuming one does well in residency. A lot depends on ones research interests as well. Many of the larger programs are more interested in their fellows working in basic sciences for their reseach time during fellowship.

Best of luck on what I hope will be your career choice. Neonatology is a great field!

Regards

Oldbearprofessor

Originally posted by Cameron
I'm a 3rd year student and pediatrics is currently at the top of my list. I'm very interested in neonatology but have a few questions regarding residency programs. I've noticed that, relatively speaking, there aren't a lot of fellowship programs in neonatology. If I am interested in neonatology, is it essential that I match at a peds residency program that also has a neonatology fellowship program? I know that people routinely do fellowships at programs other than where they did their residency training, but I was just wondering what people thought. Also, how competitive is neonatology relative to other peds subspecialties? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Cameron,

Did you enjoy any of the other peds subspecialties? I too have an interest in neonatology, but also in peds anesthesia. While they're quite unique, the common threads of physiology and pharmacology run deep in these fields.

If I may ask, what has drawn you towards neonatology? Any negative aspects you are becoming cogniscent of?