Neonatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trouta

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in going into Neonatology. I know that this involves a peds residency as well as a fellowship. What I am wondering is how I can prepare for all of this during medical school so that I will have the best chance possible to match in these programs (i.e. what do I have to be sure to do well in etc.).

Any help and info about these particular programs would be appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by trouta:
•I am interested in going into Neonatology. I know that this involves a peds residency as well as a fellowship. What I am wondering is how I can prepare for all of this during medical school so that I will have the best chance possible to match in these programs (i.e. what do I have to be sure to do well in etc.).

Any help and info about these particular programs would be appreciated.

Thanks•••••I am also interested in Neonatology. <a href="http://www.neonatology.org/career/default.html" target="_blank">http://www.neonatology.org/career/default.html</a>

I am also trying to get into a great pediatric program (then neonatal later), but from what I've heard just do well in your classes and do well on your boards. I guess if you also know where you want to do your residency, you can start finding out the type of scores/grades/requirements they need. I am looking for more info but that's all I've heard so far.

Residency is a life-time away right now, I am trying to focus on getting into a medical program.

Good Luck
:clap:

Hi -

Neonatology is a pediatric specialty so you need to complete a 3 year pedi program before entering neonatology fellowships. Most pediatric residents interview for and choose a fellowship program in neo during their second year of residency. There is no particular match program for neonatology. One simply applies to programs of interest and are then selected for interviews, etc. At some medical schools it is possible to do a "sub-internship" as a senior medical student in neo to get an idea of the field up close.

Accredited neonatology fellowships are all 3 years in length. This usually consists of a little over one year of full-time clinical work and most of the rest of the time doing some type of research. This can be basic science (e.g. molecular biology), animal model work (e.g. pulmonary physiology) or clinical research. Although it was a "hot" area 10-15 years ago, I think there has been some decrease in interest in fellowships in neo lately and there usually isn't much problem in getting a fellowship for students who do reasonably well academically. Frequently, potential fellows will look for suitable areas of research in a program as much as in the clinical patient care situation.

Neonatology does involve a lot of night work (allows time for occaisionally reading of pre-med discussion groups for example), as babies enjoy being born at night! But, I don't really believe the lifestyle is that much worse than many other specialties.

Take care and good luck with your chosen field. Neo is a great one to choose!

Regards

"oldbear" :)