Nephrology and Nephrology CC Fellowship forum 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctornephron

Reaction score
Hi everybody , this forum for applicants for both nephrology and nephrology/critical care fellowship. Good luck for all of you.

Members don't see this ad.

For applicants seeking specialization in combined nephrology critical care there are two pathways , either joiining a combined fellowship program and there are only 7-8 programs that combined and they are really competitive, or just do general nephrology fellowship and then do either 1 or 2 year critical care fellowship after. securing one year critical care fellowship could be very tricky by the way. Combined nephrology CC program are few, I know some of them like : Jersey shore university hospital, Allegheny med center, University of Texas dallas and St antonio, Henry Ford hospital. there is almost only 6-7 programs that offers combined training.

Last edited:
Good luck to this year's applicants.

If you choose nephrology, then aim to go to the best academic training program you can possibly get! Get good transplant, CRRT, PD, Renal U/S, native/transplant renal biopsy and temporary HD catheter training that you can possibly get.
i.e. don't settle for a small community program that just wants you for HD night call and wont give you the full breadth of training experience.

Dont go to nephrology thinking you will end up in Neph-CCM unless academic nephrology with CRRT exposure / research is the kind of thing you want to do.

If it is CCM, then just do CCM or PCCM. Don't view nephrology as a "backdoor" into CCM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel compelled to speak up when I see others make decisions against their best financial interest. It is now a common sighting to see nephrologists working as hospitalists in the community. Do you ever see graduates of GI/Cards/heme choosing to not practice in their own specialty after investing years of training? Yet it’s a common outcome for nephrology graduates. Are applicants being appropriately warned of this potential outcome? And what does that say about reimbursement/lifestyle issues that have been plaguing this specialty when so many colleagues, even after practicing nephrology for several years, choose to return to hospitalist(IM) medicine. For those not aware, let me give show you what has been going on:
  • In this article a well known nephrology job recruiter laments that nephrology graduates are choosing hospitalist medicine over a nephrology career.
Fellows’ priorities are changing, so must the specialty

• Another article reveals data showing that 36% of nephrology graduates are returning to hospitalist medicine. And of the remaining people who join a nephrology practice, “some 50% leave within 5 years”.

An appeal to industry leaders: Take charge of the future of nephrology

• In this article, the author essentially makes the point that fellowship programs are accepting anyone who applies to “feed the system”; including some people who have not completed residency. This in turn worsens al already oversaturated job market. It explains why it’s a misconception to believe that there’s a shortage of graduating nephrologists. He provides a very compelling argument that fellowship positions need to be reduced in order for supply and demand economics to rebalance itself.
Resizing Nephrology Training Programs

• See slide 31 of the Medscape survey below. Of those who responded to the survey, nephrologists were the least likely(52%) to chose the same specialty again.
Medscape: Medscape Access

For those who say that applicants on this forum know what they are getting into, I would counter that if that were the case, why are attrition rates so high when they graduate? It is clear to me that there is significant gap between expectations for this specialty as an applicant versus realities of private practice. I am not trying to dissuade anyone from applying who are truly interested. But for those who are doing a subspecialty to be financially “better off” than a hospitalist, know that there is a real chance you can end up financially worse off. Many have regretted their decisions, as the articles above have shown. At the end of the day, the specialty is non-competitive for a reason, and expectations need to be tempered by common sense. I am writing this so potential applicants can make a more informed decision of what they are getting into. Best wishes to all.

Reactions: 1 users
I am in my final year nephrology critical care training . I got many jobs in the same range like cardio , GI and hem onc. I accepted jobs doing both Nephro and CC. I also has many offers in CC only and pay wise same range . Still doing both is better because with straight CC higher burn out .

I noticed that even with general nephrology the job market recently improved compared with 6-7 years ago . The market corrected itself because the number of job candidates were limited for the last few years and groups have difficulty finding job applicants . I see many people starting at 250-300 now.

It is true that plum cc has more jobs than Nephro cc but still Nephro cc is much better than straight CC and only Nephtology . My advise is joining Nephro CC program .

Reactions: 2 users
So many plum CC group now are hiring nephro CC graduated and it is increasing in future . Nephro CC will eventually replace general nephrology . Many people who started working CC only in the begging were able to move to 50/50 position after sometime.

Unfortunately, Nephrology has less money and much harder work than hospitalist. Driving to multiple dialysis units and hospitals back and forth during the day can get very tiring and makes you feel like a ups driver.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck for those applying.
Don’t meant to hijack this thread off topic but.... how competitive is getting transplant fellowship?

Unfortunately, Nephrology has less money and much harder work than hospitalist. Driving to multiple dialysis units and hospitals back and forth during the day can get very tiring and makes you feel like a ups driver.

You have to do what you enjoy doing. If you enjoy H&Ps and discharges, transitions in care, supporting families of inpatients, and coordinating care with consultants -- by all means be a hospitalist and skip any subspecialty. But if you want to be a consultant and enjoy Nephrology, the variations in practice might be draw. I practice Nephrology and enjoy having inpatient work, clinic, and dialysis as part of my practice. I enjoy developing long term relationships with my patients. I can't speak for every nephrologist in my area, but most if not all of my partners are very happy with their work. In my state, there is a shortage of nephrologists and every group -- private practice and health system based -- having been hiring. Some have had open jobs for over a year. The job market in Nephrology is improving (at least in our locality) and vastly better than it was 5 years ago. I get headhunter emails frequently.

Last edited:
hello to all the nephrologist , fellows or residents in this forums
I am in my second year of nephrology training at an academic institution , unfortunately my institution does not have combined or straight CCM fellowship therefore I am in the painful process of applying again for a 1 year CCm medicne training and I have noticed that very few programs have 1 year training in CCM , most want you to do 2 years of CCm in addition of your current nephrology training ( i dont know why would programs want you to do 2 years )
Do you guys know of any 1 year CCM programs that are friendly to nephrology appplicants ?

You have to do what you enjoy doing. If you enjoy H&Ps and discharges, transitions in care, supporting families of inpatients, and coordinating care with consultants -- by all means be a hospitalist and skip any subspecialty. But if you want to be a consultant and enjoy Nephrology, the variations in practice might be draw. I practice Nephrology and enjoy having inpatient work, clinic, and dialysis as part of my practice. I enjoy developing long term relationships with my patients. I can't speak for every nephrologist in my area, but most if not all of my partners are very happy with their work. In my state, there is a shortage of nephrologists and every group -- private practice and health system based -- having been hiring. Some have had open jobs for over a year. The job market in Nephrology is improving (at least in our locality) and vastly better than it was 5 years ago. I get headhunter emails frequently.
I totally agree that nephrology job market started to recover . I think the lack of interest in the fellowship application for the last 5 years led to correction of the market by making shortage in candidate compared to job offers.

List of combined fellowship I am aware of :
Allegeheny general hospital
Southwestern University of Texas, Dallas
Jersey Shore University hospital
University of Texas , San Antonio
Henry Ford Hospital
University of Tennessee , Knoxville
Stanford University
University of Maryland .

Correction in job market or not, your ultimate ultimate income as a partner is not increasing. The government is out of money and 60% of your patient volume are medicare patients. Please answer this simple question. Why do you only see nephrologists going back to hospitalist work and never graduates of cards/GI/Pulm-cc/Heme. So you would acknowledge, at the very least, that their is risk in pursuing this specialty that is not inherent in more competitive specialties?

Members don't see this ad :)
Correction in job market or not, your ultimate ultimate income as a partner is not increasing. The government is out of money and 60% of your patient volume are medicare patients. Please answer this simple question. Why do you only see nephrologists going back to hospitalist work and never graduates of cards/GI/Pulm-cc/Heme. So you would acknowledge, at the very least, that their is risk in pursuing this specialty that is not inherent in more competitive specialties?

I am current first year renal fellow and I have been on SDN for years now. I think the yearly Nephro bashing comments like these on forums like SDN around this time of the year really need to stop. Honestly, it is not all that bad as some people make it out to be. I am loving my trainings and I couldn’t envision myself doing anything else.

Having recently graduated from IM, I will tell you that Every IM specialties has its ups and downs. GI/CV/PCC docs have brutal calls in which you are called into the night where you have to do emergent procedures. PCC docs deal with people who don’t want to stop smoking. CV docs deal with CHF who don’t to follow sodium/fluid restrictions. ID docs deal with HIV patients who don’t want to take HAART. Your hem/onc , PCC, and palliative docs deal with GOC talks and intense family meetings day-to-day basis that can be emotionally draining. Rheum docs have the great misfortune of dealing with pain seeking fibromyalgia patients. Endocrine deals with diabetic patients dumped from PCP. Need more examples....

The people who applying are genuinely interested in this field because it is fascinating field. The same people are not only graduating residents and former hospitalists, but they are grown intelligent adults who can make well informed decisions on their own. Stop discouraging them after they have already made up their decision. For some of us like myself, We don’t mind working long hours and driving long distance to help people who are critical ill with renal disease. In the end, it’s about the patient and helping them get through their disease process.

For those applying, There always a need for Nephrologist because ESRD HTN and diabetes is not going away anytime soon. There is growing Need for transplant renal docs as well. You are going to have job at the end of your training. Aim to go somewhere where you will get the best training possible. Do what you love. Chase passion instead of chasing money.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I am doing Nephro CC and I can tell that not only nephrology has issue but also CC and all subspecialties have issues and no body perfectly happy . Do what you like As this is life long journey .

I think davita and Fresenius have ruined nephrology. ASN brings out fake studies saying there is a shortage of Nephrologists and false growth predictions of the dialysis population probably at the behest of these companies to keep the market oversupplied to staff their dialysis units for as less money as possible. The reality is the nephrology market in all major metro areas is tremendously saturated. Jobs are there but the starting salary is much less and even income as a partner does not reflect the hard work the nephrologist puts in. Frankly speaking, if one works as hard as a nephrology partner as a hospitalist, one would easily make much more money for less work.

Maybe Medicare does not realise the hard work that goes into seeing a dialysis patient. It’s not the actual work you do while seeing the patient but getting there to see that patient. Typically, Dialysis patients belonging to a nephrologist are scattered around town in different dialysis units and dialyze in shifts. To get to them can be a logistical nightmare especially if one is in a major metro area. So you would be driving to one unit and then to the second unit and then third unit and then fourth unit seeing first shift patients then to one hospital to round then back to the third unit and then second unit and then first unit seeing second shift patients then round at the second hospital then back to the second unit and then third unit and then fourth unit seeing third shift patients. And you may have to come back to the hospital at night if a patient comes in with AKI needing emergent dialysis and then go back to work in the morning again. Many nephrologists go to more than four dialysis units and more than two hospitals. A physically tiring logistical nightmare indeed.

Last edited:
The only way to save nephrology is to break up the monopoly of big companies like Davita and fresenius (who also engage in corrupt practices like opening up fake charities that help pay for dialysis patients to buy private insurance since it pays many times more than Medicare to the dialysis company and after the ACA, it is illegal for private insurers to reject dialysis patients) breaking them up and making a law that only doctors can open up/own dialysis units so nephrologists themselves can take charge of the dialysis units and the stranglehold these companies have over the ASN resulting in the ballooning of nephrology fellowship seats all over the country in the last two decades for no other reason than to oversaturate the market and drive down wages so the stockholders of these companies can make an obscene amount of profit on the backs of nephrologists working them as cheap slave labour can be stopped. This of course will never happen in a million years.

Last edited:
This thread is for current applicants for fellowship to discuss the application cycle and request information about the app/interview process.

If you want to continue the nephrology doom and gloom (which you're more than welcome to do, although frankly, it's becoming tedious at this point), please do so in another thread.

The only way to save nephrology is to break up the monopoly of big companies like Davita and fresenius (who also engage in corrupt practices like opening up fake charities that help pay for dialysis patients to buy private insurance since it pays many times more than Medicare to the dialysis company and after the ACA, it is illegal for private insurers to reject dialysis patients) breaking them up and making a law that only doctors can open up/own dialysis units so nephrologists themselves can take charge of the dialysis units and the stranglehold these companies have over the ASN resulting in the ballooning of nephrology fellowship seats all over the country in the last two decades for no other reason than to oversaturate the market and drive down wages so the stockholders of these companies can make an obscene amount of profit on the backs of nephrologists working them as cheap slave labour can be stopped. This of course will never happen in a million years.
I think you expressed your point very well which we all understand it very well and it is valid in many aspect, however could you please don'nt take this forum away of its intended goal which is communicating information regarding application cycle.

Lets add our inteview invitations so that we know which programs have sent invites so far.
I will start
Mount Sinai
UT southwestern-nephro crit
Allegheny-nephro crit
Brown university
Boston university
University of Florida
Henry Ford-nephro crit
University of Wisconsin

I am not a nephrology fellow, but I can tell you a significant % of the hospitalists/ED doctors moonlighting at my residency were previous graduate nephrology fellows.

Something cannot be right in the specialty if such a large proportion of fellowship trained doctors are choosing to do something else rather than nephrology...

I am not a nephrology fellow, but I can tell you a significant % of the hospitalists/ED doctors moonlighting at my residency were previous graduate nephrology fellows.

Something cannot be right in the specialty if such a large proportion of fellowship trained doctors are choosing to do something else rather than nephrology...
Again not the place...this is an o Trevor’s thread

I just graduated from Nephrology fellowship and recently joined the faculty of an academic center. When I applied to my Nephrology fellowship several years ago, there was so much negativity in the SDN Nephrology forum that I questioned myself for even thinking about applying to Nephrology. But I went ahead anyway. After going through my fellowship, I still absolutely love nephrology. The job prospect has improved significantly. All of my co-fellows got the jobs they desired and are thriving in their current position. I recently wrote a blog piece about "Why Nephrology". I want to share my journey in Nephrology and my perspective on why I believe Nephrology is a fulfilling career. I hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Interviews so far
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Albany
Stonybrook
NYU
Cornell
Boston U
Yale
Dartmouth
Duke
University of Washington
University of Colorado
UPMC
Cleveland clinic

MGH
BU
NYU/Colombia
NYU/Cornell
Cleveland Clinic
WashU
GW
Standford
UCLA David Giffen
Hopkins
Yale
UPMC
Mount Sinai

Anyone considering Houston, here are the programs ranked in order of best to worst:

1. UT Houston
2. Baylor
3. Methodist - do NOT do your fellowship here.

Best of luck to you all! Don’t worry about the doom and gloom. In major cities the starting salary is about 200k with wRVU incentives. If you don’t care where you work, I’ve seen offers up to 450k (Georgia).
Can you elaborate more on why to stay away from methodist ?

Top programs in NJ, MO and WI states as we hear :
NJ: JSUMC as it has good lifestyle and it has guaranteed 3rd year in CC.
Cooper solid program , they have CC position but not guaranteed and it needs separate application.
MO : the best one is Washington Univ program in St Louis.
WI: Univ of Wisconsin at Madison has very good reputation.

Universidad of North Carolina at Chapel hill is a must they have great faculty very strong in GN and one of the very few places with GN fellowship

If I were in your shoes right now, here's what would be on my mind:

1.) Procedures. I hated them during medical school. I hated them during residency. I hated them during fellowship. I probably hated them when I was still in the womb. I still hate them now and thankfully I don't have to do them much anymore. Many places have robust interventional radiology and procedural teams nowadays. You probably think the right answer at all of these programs is "more procedures more more more, more experience yaaay etc." If your idea of a good time is getting paged about new consults after already seeing 30 people that day WHILE waiting for the biopsy patient's BP to come down low enough to start the biopsy but then oh yeah the radiologist just stepped out too... Are you OK if that happens weekly? (you might be). You'll need to complete a minimum for biopsies, dialysis catheters etc., and you SHOULD have to do that... but in the end, if you are not planning on a career in interventional, you should look to minimize this burden for yourself.

2.) Call / Intensity. With so much outcry over nephrology wellness and lifestyle, I fear the pendulum is already swinging back in the wrong direction when it comes to training. Year 1 and part of Year 2 was brutal for me but looking back, the intense demands of call and heavy patient census loads gave me a backbone, and simulated the variability I'd encounter in the real world. Sure, a relatively cush schedule (becoming the norm, it seems) might make your next 2 or 3 years a lot nicer, but I might be more hesistant to want to hire you as a result.

3.) Career Outcomes. What do the grads do after they wrap up? Where do they live now? Are they happy with how things turned out? Don't get brainwashed by the program's darling graduate who's now on the faculty and only saying good things about the program (because he/she has to). Use your connections to find out the scoop from graduates who have graduated and moved elsewhere. Are fellows offered faculty positions after graduation? And not just glorified "clinical instructor" roles making a dollar more than a fellow, but legitimate faculty spots with opportunity to grow?

With continued low applicant numbers, the illusion for US MD grads is that programs might bend over backwards for you, and that you can just go anywhere and you're "set". Unfortunately, the potential to get burned and exploited is still very much there. If you're already at a top tier IM residency program, you will need to think carefully before jumping ship and starting all over again at a new place.

Knowing what I know now, I definitely would have chosen a different fellowship program if I had to do it all over again, even if the end result turned out fine for me. Take this process seriously and choose wisely.

If I were in your shoes right now, here's what would be on my mind:

1.) Procedures. I hated them during medical school. I hated them during residency. I hated them during fellowship. I probably hated them when I was still in the womb. I still hate them now and thankfully I don't have to do them much anymore. Many places have robust interventional radiology and procedural teams nowadays. You probably think the right answer at all of these programs is "more procedures more more more, more experience yaaay etc." If your idea of a good time is getting paged about new consults after already seeing 30 people that day WHILE waiting for the biopsy patient's BP to come down low enough to start the biopsy but then oh yeah the radiologist just stepped out too... Are you OK if that happens weekly? (you might be). You'll need to complete a minimum for biopsies, dialysis catheters etc., and you SHOULD have to do that... but in the end, if you are not planning on a career in interventional, you should look to minimize this burden for yourself.

2.) Call / Intensity. With so much outcry over nephrology wellness and lifestyle, I fear the pendulum is already swinging back in the wrong direction when it comes to training. Year 1 and part of Year 2 was brutal for me but looking back, the intense demands of call and heavy patient census loads gave me a backbone, and simulated the variability I'd encounter in the real world. Sure, a relatively cush schedule (becoming the norm, it seems) might make your next 2 or 3 years a lot nicer, but I might be more hesistant to want to hire you as a result.

3.) Career Outcomes. What do the grads do after they wrap up? Where do they live now? Are they happy with how things turned out? Don't get brainwashed by the program's darling graduate who's now on the faculty and only saying good things about the program (because he/she has to). Use your connections to find out the scoop from graduates who have graduated and moved elsewhere. Are fellows offered faculty positions after graduation? And not just glorified "clinical instructor" roles making a dollar more than a fellow, but legitimate faculty spots with opportunity to grow?

With continued low applicant numbers, the illusion for US MD grads is that programs might bend over backwards for you, and that you can just go anywhere and you're "set". Unfortunately, the potential to get burned and exploited is still very much there. If you're already at a top tier IM residency program, you will need to think carefully before jumping ship and starting all over again at a new place.

Knowing what I know now, I definitely would have chosen a different fellowship program if I had to do it all over again, even if the end result turned out fine for me. Take this process seriously and choose wisely.
A different fellowship program or a different fellowship entirely?

A different fellowship program or a different fellowship entirely?

Different fellowship program. Specialty is fine, but you may need think creatively to find the right program(s) for you. Bigger and brand name isn't always better.
Again - Shop wisely.

List of combined fellowship I am aware of :
Allegeheny general hospital
Southwestern University of Texas, Dallas
Jersey Shore University hospital
University of Texas , San Antonio
Henry Ford Hospital
University of Tennessee , Knoxville
Stanford University
University of Maryland .

UT San Antonio does not have a combined fellowship. They just make their website to look as if they have everything. In reality, they did not match even a single Fellow last year, got everyone out of the match. And also, fellows and faculty seemed dissatisfied with the program. It was so obvious that everybody felt they were overworked and did not have good learning experience.

The majority of programs that didn’t fill will fill post-match. If you look at the ASN’s own data(Figure 4;https://www.asn-online.org/educatio...hrology_Match_AY_2018_Preliminary_Results.pdf
), 90% of the unfilled positions have filled post-match. There has never been a shortage of nephrology graduates!
There is only a shortage in the sense that 1/3 of the graduates would rather work as hospitalists than practice nephrology(An appeal to industry leaders: Take charge of the future of nephrology)

If you think this is a good investment of your time, go for it.

I am a current 2nd year fellow at UConn , during this interview season we have had few qualified candidates , I think UConn program is unfairly overlooked , it is small and with a very dedicated faculty . if anyone is considering applying feel free to Pm me to discuss further

For those who have experience...any idea what the salary of transplant Nephrologist is???

I am a current 2nd year fellow at UConn , during this interview season we have had few qualified candidates , I think UConn program is unfairly overlooked , it is small and with a very dedicated faculty . if anyone is considering applying feel free to Pm me to discuss further

I want to be a nephrologits because of my recidency training In Turkey and my director was one of the nephrologists at that time. I didn't apply UCON but if any position is empthy I want to apply there. I have a couple of nephrology interview now. I am IMG. what do you think i will be apply now or later

Apply and let me know so I can let the PD know . If you apply please PM with your info. Cant guarantee if a position will be available after the match

I want to be a nephrologits because of my recidency training In Turkey and my director was one of the nephrologists at that time. I didn't apply UCON but if any position is empthy I want to apply there. I have a couple of nephrology interview now. I am IMG. what do you think i will be apply now or later

I don't know if you fall into this group. I know of IMGs who couldn't match into an IM residency who were able to get nephrology fellowships. The problem is that after they finish the fellowship, they still couldn't match into residency, and still couldn't practice into medicine in the US. These programs will gladly take your cheap labor. Be careful of exploitation.

Indeed ,what Renal -P is saying is very true , in order to sit your board for Nephrology you need to pass you IM board exam . Most programs would lure you to get into their fellowship but they cant guarantee you that they can get you an IM position after the fellowship

I don't know if you fall into this group. I know of IMGs who couldn't match into an IM residency who were able to get nephrology fellowships. The problem is that after they finish the fellowship, they still couldn't match into residency, and still couldn't practice into medicine in the US. These programs will gladly take your cheap labor. Be careful of exploitation.
thank you for your answer. I have a couple of interview nephrology and other departments for fellowship positions. after this training, I intend to resume IM residency or I had 6 years of training in Turkey some states would give lisance I know.

thank you for your answer. I have a couple of interview nephrology and other departments for fellowship positions. after this training, I intend to resume IM residency or I had 6 years of training in Turkey some states would give lisance I know.
in my opinion, I am a physician and I want to help people. labor price isn't important sometimes

Apply and let me know so I can let the PD know . If you apply please PM with your info. Cant guarantee if a position will be available after the match
next two days I have an interview after I will try to apply but I wonder it, can I apply now this program or will I wait for soap

Hello,

I need help deciding which programs I am going to interview at, so many intimations and its impossible to go to all of them.
I don't care about locations, because I'm willing to move to a different state (currently living in NY)
So help me making my top 10 from the following programs:

- Jackson Memorial hospital (Miami)
- Cleveland Clinic Florida
- Stony brook (NY)
- Boston university
- Mount Sinai (NYC)
- Montefiore (NY)
- Hoftra/Northwell NY
- Lenox hill
- university of north carolina
- Ohio state university
- UPMC
-Brown university
- UT dallas
- UT houston
- Emory University
- Winthrop hospital
- Albert Einstein (philadelphia)
- university of Colorado
- NYU hospital

I dont know much about the other program but Jackson Memorial (UM Miami) I have interviewed at and am from the area and can tell you a bit about the program.

Disclaimer: I am a former nephrology fellow at a big name New England program. Excellent program however had to come back down to Miami due to issues involving family. Otherwise the program was amazing.

UM is a great program with a very balanced first and second year. Not so much front loaded like other programs. They have like 5 or 6 NP's that cover chronic dialysis patient. Schedule sounds very nice yet you still get lots of exposure. Extremely strong transplant and CRRT programs. PD program average and comparable to most other programs. Attendings are very dedicated to teaching fellows and to the overall success of the program. They will call groups and strongly advocate for graduating fellows looking for work. Dr. Fornoni is the division chief, she is extremely forward-looking and has set some very ambitious goals for the program. She has a few cool things in the works that I dont think I can talk about much, but will for sure benefit those looking to go into private practice. There are people in the program who can provide mentorship in just about any area of interest you may have; from ICU, acid-base to GNs. They have a 3 year dedicated transplant tract. They also have an agreement with ICU where they usually have one spot for either nephrology or ID fellow. Nothing guaranteed but sounds like they have a pretty good relationship with the ICU program. The associate PD told us there really hasnt been much interest from the neprhology fellows in the past, but the opportunity is available for those interested.

bottom line; my second time interviewing at UM and with 5 months of previous nephrology fellow experience, this is a great program that will expose you (and in large volume) to everything to you need to see to become an excellent nephrologist. In addition, you have ample opportunity to develop any ancillary interests you may have such as procedures (kidney biopsies, Kidney US, lines .. ), research (Dr. Fornoni runs a huge lab with lots of exciting projects, and of coarse there is also the clinical research side which is even more robust), GN (Dr. Contreras is one of the big names here), transplant, CRRT, PD ... and whatever else! PM me if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
Anyone has any idea which New York or Connecticut program is the best? In terms of both patient load and future career options?
kind of limited by location.