Nephrology Fellowship Applicants 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:D
Yeay, my very first IV: Henry Ford Medical Center

Members don't see this ad.

3anoon: U of Virginia, U of Louisville, Emory,South Carolina ,Verginia, Tennessee,Henry Ford , allegheny, UTHSC, MCG
Cmycburkitt: U Chicago, U Miami, UCLA, Temple, Penn State, Henry Ford
Cute: louisville,emory,alleghany,syracuse,U o chicago
docbeans: U Utah, U Pitt, UCLA harbor, Hershey, U of Virginia,Emory, Allegheny, USC, Upstate, Stony brook
Duofellowshio12:
Jaded: Tulane, Univ. of Mississippi, Univ. of Tennessee, Uthsc, UTMB, MCG
Kidneys: Duke, TUFTS, UT southwestern, Yale, BU, Temple, U Florida
KMC: Brigham, TUFT, BU, BI,Yale, drexel, UT, UCSF, Tulane
Nephrology2010: UTSW, UCLA, U Wash, VCU, U Rochester, Upitt, NYC program?, PA program?
nephro9: Jefferson Medical College/Christiana Care Health Servic, Wayne State University and University of Florida, Gainesville.
Nephron12: CA program? CT program?
Neprhonaim2011:MGH
Princebaghdad:
Ruwang: U Ala, U Miami, U Utah, U Denver, Keiser, ucla, MA program, ny Stony brook Uni
smartkidneys: U Florida, Jefferson/Christ, Drexel
Stylinisland: Henry Ford

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum.
My current IV's: Hopkins; BWI/MGH; Univ Of Florida; UAB; Mt Sinai; Hopkins Bayview.
Anyone heard from Cleveland/Mayo Clinic yet?

Thomas Jefferson.. but I dont think I have time to go :(

New to the forum.
Profile High 90's, need visa, community hospital resident
Interviews- UAB, Brown, U Arak, Thomas Jefferson, UCSF

Just got an intv from Elmhurst Hospital, NYC , Mount sinai school of Medicine for nephro

University of Miami, Miller school of Medicine

Does anyone know anything about this place?

Did anyone go for an interview yet? are you guys going to be posting your interview experience?

How is Tuff IV, what do they ask

I am going for WSU and MUSC next Mon and Tue, will update
Thanks

a few interviews that has not posted by others.

Hopkins, Upenn, columbia, NYU.

NYC interviews are coming.

Also got MGH interview but 4 year training???? probably will rank it low.

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations stylinisland.. i didnt get from henry ford tough Lol....

Hello everyone, I just signed up on this forum after looking at everyone's interviews. Looks like everyone is doing really well.

I am an FMG, high 90s, MPH, community IM resident, PGY-2, need visa. Have interviews from Cleveland Clinic, Mt Sinai, UFlorida Gainseville and Brown University, Univ of Chicago, UMN.

@ stylinisland- congrats on the interviews, since UCSF is a place of interest to me, do you know if they interview only GC holders or citizens?

Cheers!

Strengths: Excellent clinical research but requires green card or citizenship for the NIH funding. Located in better part of Boston, easily accessible by commuters, extremely supportive faculty, very welcoming atmosphere, publication base for AJKD (all the faculty are on editorial board), very strong outpatient experience--3 clinics/wk

Weakness: No bench research if you are interested in that. Boston is expensive, winters can be harsh (if that's important), it's a downtown hospital don't expect a sprawling campus, some fellows felt 3 clinics are a lot--but thats real life for nephrologist

Work load: 1 weekday call/week and 1 weekend in 4 weeks.. so you get 3 weekends off. You rarely have to come in during night. None of the patients are admitted to your service (the renal service is managed by resident-intern team) Most fellows get in by 7/730 and leave by 5/530
------------------

The interview day is very chill: They don't bug you with a lot of qs. One of the faculty asked me where else I'm interviewing in Boston. I gave an honest answer and he advised about strengths and weakness of different programs..

Thanks for the breakdown on your TUFTS iv, KIDNEYS!!! That was really informative and helpful, especially for those waiting in anticipation and in anxiety for their upcoming iv's. Hope you get what you are looking for!

as for Renal2012, I don't know if you were directing a question towards me? But to answer it, UCSF is the main place where I would like to go also, and I do not know if they interview only GC holders or US citizens. Unfortunately, they rejected me. :(

@ stylinisland- congrats on the interviews, since UCSF is a place of interest to me, do you know if they interview only GC holders or citizens?

Cheers!

My situation is almost similar as you stylinisland .. I am PGY 3 /Chief resident too.. lol..
only one intv so far - from Elmhurst, Mount Sinai , NYC
Do you guys think its already too late to expect any more intvs to come?

Received the rejection from Duke! :shifty:

@ stylinisland: Sorry, for some reason from one of the older posts I gathered that you were interviewing at UCSF. It is one of my top choices as well. Hope I get a call.

and rejection from texas tech.. looks like all i am getting are rejections..

i was at emory this week
it was terrible
sorry to say that

interview from St. Louis University

again, did anyone hear from UMN or Kansas?

IV south carolina and GW

3annon sorry to hear that what happened at emory. Did u get u IV from s.louis recently?

I didn't hear from kansas

good luck to all

please keep posting u IV experience:)

Strengths: Great academic environment, very cordial and committed faculty, world's largest health care system with multiple hospitals in a single campus (as fellows you rotate through 4 hospitals), great exposure: county hospital+methodist (private hospital)+St Luke s(awesome post cardiothoracic surgery pts experience)+VA experience, of course warmer climate (at times too warm), some protected research time 1month in year 1 and 2 months in year2, structured education and very supportive faculty as i said

Weakness: if your primary interest is in research, it may not be the place. There are research opportunities and research track but i think there are better programs,

Busy work 2-3 weekday calls plus alternate weekends on call except in research month..and weekday call requires you to cover all hospitals which can be hectic...it not uncommon to come in during call...

Interview day: 6 interviews x 20min, very friendly faculty... done by 3

Strengths: Excellent for bench research, faculty are world renowned for research work. Clinical exposure is unparalleled: its a typical county hospital..You see sodium of 98 or 180

Weakness: I found the program to be very hectic. Fellows are looked overworked.. Very often you will come in during calls. Some fellows absolutely love the experience.. others hate it.
.The area is not safe..
Boston is expensive, winters can be bad

I would evaluate what your expectations are. If you are not willing to work very very hard, don't even go there!

Interview day: Nothing special, interviews, hospital tour, conference.

Just adding to the list and updating it with my calls as well. Congrats everyone and keep 'em coming!

3anoon: U of Virginia, U of Louisville, Emory,South Carolina ,Verginia, Tennessee,Henry Ford , allegheny, UTHSC, MCG
docbeans: U Utah, U Pitt, UCLA harbor, Hershey, U of Virginia,Emory, Allegheny, USC, Upstate, Stony brook
Duofellowshio12:
Nephrology2010: UTSW, UCLA, U Wash, VCU, U Rochester, Upitt, NYC program?, PA program?
Neprhonaim2011:MGH
Princebaghdad:
Ruwang: U Ala, U Miami, U Utah, U Denver, Keiser, ucla, MA program, ny Stony brook Uni
Stylinisland:
nephro9: Jefferson Medical College/Christiana Care Health Servic
renal 2012: Cleveland Clinic, Mt Sinai, UFlorida Gainseville and Brown University, Univ of Chicago, UMN, Mayo Clinic, JHU

@ ASN: Just saw that you got a call from UCSF, that's amazing. It is a great program from what I see and one of my top choices on paper. Have you interviewed there yet?

coming back to forum after a while... sorry guys, was enjoying my vacations for a month... i realized i m such a lazy ass.. i haven't spelled Nephro.. right in my user-name!!!! here is updated list:

Originally Posted by 3anoon
Duofellowshio12:
Neprhonaim2011:MGH, nyu westchester, henry ford, u mass , tulsa-Oklahoma, shreveport
Princebaghdad:
Stylinisland:
renal 2012: Cleveland Clinic, Mt Sinai, UFlorida Gainseville and Brown University, Univ of Chicago, UMN, Mayo Clinic, JHU

Hi guys, just thought I'd join and post the interviews I have so far. I am an American grad (DO). No publications, just a poster presentation. Applied to about 40 programs.

Penn State, Temple, UPMC, Allegheny General, Christiana, Brown, Dartmouth, University of Miami, Henry Ford, Northwestern, Montefiore.

I hadn't heard from any programs for about two weeks then got Montefiore today. I wonder if most programs are done offering interviews already? I heard New York tends to start late but I didn't know about other places.

Good luck everyone! :oops:

Originally Posted by 3anoon
3anoon: U of Virginia, U of Louisville, Emory,South Carolina ,Verginia, Tennessee,Henry Ford , allegheny, UTHSC, MCG, Uni of Miami, Uni of Florida Jacksonville, Uni of Indiana,

Duofellowshio12:
Neprhonaim2011:MGH, nyu westchester, henry ford, u mass , tulsa-Oklahoma, shreveport
Princebaghdad:
Stylinisland:
[/QUOTE]

Henry Ford,

city was terrible, the hospital is a monster 950 bed, 150 ICU bed and will be expanding to 180.
the faculty were all very nice, humble, easy to talk to...except for one, he was a little annoying..and he joined HF only 2 years back!
extremely busy hospital. consults have 25-35 patients to see daily, average 5-6 new consults daily, rapid turn over i would say
work hours at least 75 hours on average, they stressed the fact that they are committed to the RRC rule of 80 hours,
the fellows were happy, and obviously they are all satisfied with the training they get,
changes the fellows wanted to implement were having the central lines and other procedures done by radiology or ICU fellow since they are busy with 30 patients to see daily!
they also wanted to have 3 consults team rather than 2 teams only.

they offer good clinical research projects,
as opposed to other programs where you cover 4 hospitals and you have to commute, here you only cover HF

you also have a service where renal is the admitting service, its a 16 bed floor.

call schedule, you cover 36 calls a year, and they are IN HOUSE because you are very busy and it does not make sense to go home and come back many times during the night.

not the best out patient expereince, 1-2 clinics a week, you have 4 dialysis patients assigned to your name, 2 months of outpatient rotation only.

6 months of crazy busy consults

5 months elective/research

1-2 interventional
3 months transplant

cant remember what else

over all..fellows extremely busy with patients and procedure, compensation is around 85,000 a year, i do not think any other fellowship offers this.
they are extremely busy and fellows did say they are happy but they wanted more teaching some things to be changed,

the PD did mention he is trying to establish 3 consults teams rather than 2...but funding is a problem.

thats it

IV south carolina and GW

3annon sorry to hear that what happened at emory. Did u get u IV from s.louis recently?

I didn't hear from kansas

good luck to all

please keep posting u IV experience:)

yes i got it from SLU.

I forgot to post that,

Did you go to Emory? what did you think?

I think I will be canceling my IV at Tennessee
They are really difficult to talk to, very difficult to re schedule the IV and met someone during one of the IV's and he didnt like his expereince there,

I will go to emory next week. any advice?

I didn't hear a good stuff about tennessee either, although I didn't get IV from them. one of my freinds was not happy about tennessee.

I am still waiting to hear from SLU:(

I got an interview from U new mexico:)

keep posting guys.....

Prepare for a long day: 8-9 interviews. some fellows interview as well. You don't get to talk to fellows except when they interview you!

Good:thumbup:: Excellent faculty, great research, the quality of lectures are superb!, amazing clinical exposure, fellows are even trained to do permacaths! Even if you are J1 you can still do a research track because there are projects which are not NIH funded. The university is very pro research and are always hiring the best from around US. I met with a new faculty who is from Duke who finds the facility and opportunity to be better than Duke.

Dallas is a very nice city: multicultural, better weather, inexpensive etc...

Bad:thumbdown: Be prepared to sacrifice 2 yrs!! Clinical fellows work extremely hard, day begins around 530/0600 goes on till 6-7. Weekends are even worse. The majority of the rotations are in parkland hospital which is a busy inner city hospital You come in quite frequently when on call.

I will go to emory next week. any advice?

I didn't hear a good stuff about tennessee either, although I didn't get IV from them. one of my freinds was not happy about tennessee.

I am still waiting to hear from SLU:(

I got an interview from U new mexico:)

keep posting guys.....

my advice would be NOT to go, do not waste your money and time.
i also saw someone at henry ford last week and they had the same bad expereince.

Hi,

I am worried about the matching process as I dont have much IV yet.
any one have an idea how many IV neede to match for nephro fellowship,
I review last year trend they have approx 375 spot for 565 applicant ,
input would be appreciated

Hi,

I am worried about the matching process as I dont have much yet and any one have an idea how many IV neede to match for nephro fellowship,
I review last year trend they have approx 375 spot for 565 applicant ,
input would be appreciated

Hello NGAI,

Similar qs have been discussed before. The short answer is that there is no magic number.

The chance of matching is determined by the following

1. total no. of programs you rank
2. the demand of your top program (eg; there may be many who would want to get into john hopkins. In other words many who interview at JH may rank it #1 making it very competitive) I picked JH as an example
3. Most importantly your profile and interview. If you are a top notch candidate, you can match by interviewing at just 1 program.

I think the best strategy is to give your best shot at all your interviews. Rank them in the order of your preference. There is no point relying on numbers and worrying about them.

Thanks kindey for kindly the explanation.

I got Interview today from cleveland clinic ,FL

i did not get any interviews since last week

are you guys still getting them?

any new interview expereinces?

got interview from cornell.. Does anybody know about living in NYC. I know cornell has housing. Any input??

I got two more IV todays,
more interview is coming

how many patient do the fellows tell you they see a day?

Can somebody share info on GWU.. I think 3anoon had interview there?

from 9 to 2:30 5 to 6 interviews. environment was relaxed. we have enough time to talk with fellows. they looked happy.

U rotate in 4 hopistals; midtown,grady,emory and VA. busy first year with daily census reaching 20 with 5 to ten new consults( that varies depends on what hospital u are rotating at)
excellent for bench studies, clinical research harder to get. enough hands on experience for lines. fellows emphasized that they have Ultrasound elective rotation. for dialysis patient u don't have to come to the hospital for orders unless they need line. half day clinic every week. good pathology.

Atlanta: city is ok. cheap comparing to LA,Chicago or NY. alot of things to do. bad traffic. most fellows live near the hospital with few exceptions.

dislike: I didn't like the idea that we are the primary admitting team in one of the hospital for ESRD patients. anyhow fellows don't think that is bad. there was not introduction about the program.

that what i can remember now and this is my individual experience...:)

overall a decent program...

im going to GWU early march
sorry guys

but im surprised with Cute's experience at Emory!! totally the opposite of what i had

i must emphasize on the fellows were not happy at all when i saw them!! one of the attendings told me that he knows some of the fellows are not happy due to the unusually high census (the fellows said never less than 30!!) on the consult service and because they have to rotate at 2-3 hospitals a day! (round at one hospital, they have a clinic somewhere else and then the conference is at a different hospital)..but they are trying to make it 2 hospitals only.

the ultrasound experience was a great thing i think too
but im glad you had a good day there.

Kidneys do let us know what happens there