Nephrology Fellowship Applicants 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
im going to MUSC on Monday,

anyone has any information about them?

Members don't see this ad.

I havent scheduled GWU interview. I wanted to know how good the reviews are. Given limited days off, I have to prioritize interviews now. Is it worth going to GWU?

one of my attendings graduated from Georgetown...not GW
but he is very familiar with GW program...im going to use his exact words

"we at Georgetown really dont like GW, but they have a very good program"

that was enough for me to decide to go.

what other places are you trying to prioritize?

i have a question....what do you respond when you are asked "how many interviews you have and why did you choose this place??"

?

Members don't see this ad :)
im getting mixed signals about this

can someone define "academic nephrology"?

thanks

Hello All,

Great to see everyone pretty active here..
I got late aboard the fellowship train! Applied late Jan.
Brief creds- IMG, would need visa, Steps 1 and 2 high 90s, decent research experience-publications- not in nephrology though!, editorial board memberships, awards etc.

Got 5 IVs so far 1. UAB, 2. Jackson memorial Miami, 3. UPMC- Pittsburgh, 4. Mt. Sinai Med NY, 5. BWH-MGH boston

Rejections- Tufts, BIDMC, Wake Forest, UIC for now!!

I hope I get my application reviewed at other places and could get a few more IVs. Would be active on the forum for rest of the fellowship season..
Good luck to everyone..

I got another IV from Uni of Minnesota..
Hello guys..seems everyone is busy interviewing these days ;-)

Hello Guys, sorry for posting late, I have been busy lately

IMG, steps 1/2 in low to mid 80s in medium size community program, just a couple of poster presentation, no other research background in renal

5 IVs so far: MUSC, St Louis University, Henry Ford, Darmouth-Hitchcock, Texas A&M,

Rejections: Maine, Tufts, University of Chicago

Do anybody got news from NY programs?

Good luck to everybody

Here's the current list.. I'm sure everyone must be having more interviews than in the list below. Please update it accordingly.

@ darthmaul: welcome! I too joined the forum just a few days ago

1. 3anoon: U of Virginia, U of Louisville, Emory, South Carolina, Tennessee,Henry Ford , allegheny, UTHSC, MCG, Uni of Miami, Uni of Florida Jacksonville, Uni of Indiana,

2. Cmycburkitt: U Chicago, U Miami, UCLA, Temple, Penn State, Henry Ford

3. Cute: louisville,emory,alleghany,syracuse,U o chicago

4. docbeans: U Utah, U Pitt, UCLA harbor, Hershey, U of Virginia,Emory, Allegheny, USC, Upstate, Stony brook
5. Duofellowshio12:

6. Jaded: Tulane, Univ. of Mississippi, Univ. of Tennessee, Uthsc, UTMB, MCG

7. Kidneys: Duke, TUFTS, UT southwestern, Yale, BU, Temple, U Florida

8. Nephrology2010: UTSW, UCLA, U Wash, VCU, U Rochester, Upitt, NYC program?, PA program?

9. Nephron12: CA program? CT program?

10. Neprhonaim2011:MGH, nyu westchester, henry ford, u mass , tulsa-Oklahoma, shreveport

11. Princebaghdad:

12. Ruwang: U Ala, U Miami, U Utah, U Denver, Keiser, ucla, MA program, ny Stony brook Uni

13. smartkidneys: U Florida, Jefferson/Christ, Drexel

14. Stylinisland:

15. nephro9: Jefferson Medical College/Christiana Care Health Servic

16. renal 2012: Cleveland Clinic, Mt Sinai, UFlorida Gainseville and Brown University, Univ of Chicago, UMN, Mayo Clinic, JH

17. Nephro2012: . 1. UAB, 2. Jackson memorial Miami, 3. UPMC- Pittsburgh, 4. Mt. Sinai Med NY, 5. BWH-MGH boston 6. Uni of Minnesota

18. darthmaul: MUSC, St Louis University, Henry Ford, Darmouth-Hitchcock, Texas A&M

Any one has information about MCG/medical college of Georgia
I got Interview from the program and would like to share your experience

Thanks

I would love to know anything about them before I interview them

Anyone??

Here's the current list.. I'm sure everyone must be having more interviews than in the list below. Please update it accordingly.

@ darthmaul: welcome! I too joined the forum just a few days ago

1. 3anoon: U of Virginia, U of Louisville, Emory, South Carolina, Tennessee,Henry Ford , allegheny, UTHSC, MCG, Uni of Miami, Uni of Florida Jacksonville, Uni of Indiana,

4. docbeans: U Utah, U Pitt, UCLA harbor, Hershey, U of Virginia,Emory, Allegheny, USC, Upstate, Stony brook
5. Duofellowshio12:

8. Nephrology2010: UTSW, UCLA, U Wash, VCU, U Rochester, Upitt, NYC program?, PA program?

10. Neprhonaim2011:MGH, nyu westchester, henry ford, u mass , tulsa-Oklahoma, shreveport

11. Princebaghdad:

12. Ruwang: U Ala, U Miami, U Utah, U Denver, Keiser, ucla, MA program, ny Stony brook Uni

14. Stylinisland:

16. renal 2012: Cleveland Clinic, Mt Sinai, UFlorida Gainseville and Brown University, Univ of Chicago, UMN, Mayo Clinic, JH

17. Nephro2012: . 1. UAB, 2. Jackson memorial Miami, 3. UPMC- Pittsburgh, 4. Mt. Sinai Med NY, 5. BWH-MGH boston 6. Uni of Minnesota

18. darthmaul: MUSC, St Louis University, Henry Ford, Darmouth-Hitchcock, Texas A&M

19. KidneyGirl: Temple, Penn State, Dartmouth, Brown, Montefiore, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson, Allegheny General, UPMC, University of Maryland, GWU, Henry Ford, Northwestern, University of Miami

Here's the updated list..

5. Duofellowshio12:

7. Kidneys: Duke, TUFTS, UT southwestern, Yale, BU, Temple, U Florida, Montefiore & NYMC

11. Princebaghdad:

14. Stylinisland:

17. Nephro2012: . 1. UAB, 2. Jackson memorial Miami, 3. UPMC- Pittsburgh, 4. Mt. Sinai Med NY, 5. BWH-MGH boston 6. Uni of Minnesota 7. Medical College of Wisconsin

19. KidneyGirl: Temple, Penn State, Dartmouth, Brown, Montefiore, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson, Allegheny General, UPMC, University of Maryland, GWU, Henry Ford, Northwestern, University of Miami

Last edited:
Here's the updated list..

5. Duofellowshio12:

11. Princebaghdad:

14. Stylinisland:

17. Nephro2012: . 1. UAB, 2. Jackson memorial Miami, 3. UPMC- Pittsburgh, 4. Mt. Sinai Med NY, 5. BWH-MGH boston 6. Uni of Minnesota 7. Medical College of Wisconsin

It seems like this forum is really booming. I wish everyone the best of luck this year. Hope we all get what we want. Keep the forum going and lets keep up with the updates. :cool::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to know anything about them before I interview them

Anyone??

I got an interview there as well, but I am yet to go for a visit. Please update if you find out first, otherwise, I will update you after my interview in March.

Jaded

I'm there right now
Lol
I'm little early though
Nobody is here yet!!

Hey guys

Anyone interviewed at Johns Hopkins yet? Any tips/suggestions for the interview day?

I haven't really heard from any of the New York programs?!?!?!?!
My chances seem slim, at least there's Hospitalist positions. I can still practice nephrology through that! :) Hope everyone gets what they want.
Take care!!!!:luck:

5. Duofellowshio12:

11. Princebaghdad:

14. Stylinisland: Henry Ford, Elmhurst

@stylinisland: Dude- we just need "that" 1 interview to match! Doesn't need to be 10-20 or more IVs!!

Further, bitter truth is that Nephrology is losing its charm atleast for past couple of years- with dwindling reimbursements, old nephrologists not retiring etc. there is scarcity of likable jobs after fellowship!! Sad but true I know a few fellowship pass outs who are working as hospitalists/primary care. So bottom line is you may be making less than hospitalists despite putting in more time/energy in this specialty.. hence either ways one should be happy (matched or unmatched :D) ..

Just keep us posted.. and I'm sure you would be a happier lot on the Match day :)

About NYC programs- Montefiore Med Center was ranking candidates late Jan/Early feb for IVs they must have sent IVs/ must be sending now..
SUNY Downstate I think sent the IVs/still reviewing??

hmm... sad truth. Nephrology is in low demand. Even great programs are settling for less. It is true that the remuneration is probably at par with primary care. But the job satisfaction is better. Also, after going through the interview trail and talking to different attendings I feel things will get better.

Anything in the market is controlled by supply and demand rule. The demand is only going higher. As long as DM and HTN exist CKD will be there. All the electrolyte abnormalities and ATN are also not going to go away. It is unfortunate that nephrology is in demand because of the poor pay system. Soon there will be a shortage of nephrologist resulting in a higher demand. It's commonsense that if demands go up remuneration will have to go up.

I'm not saying the remuneration will be as high as an interventional cardiologist. But it will be a better.

What do you guys say?

Somebody was enquiring about NYC programs.

I got call from Montefiore & NYMC. There are friends who got calls from Columbia and Cornell too.

I agree ..it's primarily driven by the global recession: reason why the 401K or life savings for the retiring (supposed to be)nephrologists dropped down to 2/3rd or less that made them stay in the business by hiring junior nephrologists/PA etc. But hopeully we would see an upturn.. and supply demand would favor us!

My only point with previous post was that you need to have the real interest/ passion for the intellectual field of nehprology to stay!! For those who are genuinely interested.. (low) remuneration may be compensated by the intellectual/job satisfaction :)

Things would be better as there is no way further deep to dip!! we are almost at the bottom :p

What cath is to the cardiologists, dialysis is to the nephrologists and thats what have had the biggest hit with new payment system! Anyways... I only see CKD growing at a rampant rate..thanks to HTN and DM..so.. we can't be off demand ;)

While we were putting forth reasons for Nephro going downhill..I encountered this hilarious verdict about Nephro being the LEAST competitive of all specialties :p
I'm grateful to the author that atleast he/she dint rank geriatrics above it :D
By this argument everyone would "match"!! j/k

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=203584

Read below post by "panipuri"
"
@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } in terms of competitiveness

GI> Cards> Heme onc> Pulm Critic= Endo > Rheum > ID> Nephro

allergy immunology has very few spots so its competitive too but i wont put it in this rank order...

ID and Nephro are least competitive...if you do residency from university u can match anywhere with a moderate cv consisting of any case report...i knw many matched without any research or case report..

Cards, GI and heme onc- your best chances will be in house fellowship...coming from community prog chances get slimmer...need research +/- abstract for sure...

this year atleast from few prog i know....endo and pulm critical care is getting more competitive...
even in my prog there are atleast 5 residents each applying in above specialties...
cards 2 and gi only 1 resident....

if you are IMG and require visa....especially H1 then aim for ID and Nephro...otherwise J1 is avaialbe in other subspecialties..
"

no one is posting their interview experience?

hmm... doesnt seem to be much action nowadays! i guess the lucky few r too busy with iv's and residency to post... i wonder if the iv season has ended?
goodluck to those chasing their dreams!

once i am finished with my only 2 iv's in march... i will post my experiences

clinical program. very laid back attendings, though i didn't like the chairman.

round in 3 hospitals GW,va and another community hospital.

weakness transplant and research if your are interested.

teaching is ok.

overall good clinical training but not the best. I will give them 5 to 6 out of ten.

they are taking 3 fellows this year.

I emphasize this is my individual experience.

expensive city.....

Updating the list

5. Duofellowshio12:

11. Princebaghdad:

14. Stylinisland: Henry Ford, Elmhurst

18. darthmaul: MUSC, St Louis University, Henry Ford, Darmouth-Hitchcock, Texas A&M, UT medical branch, University of South Florida, University of Michigan

19. KidneyGirl: Temple, Penn State, Dartmouth, Brown, Montefiore, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson, Allegheny General, UPMC, University of Maryland, GWU, Henry Ford, Northwestern, University of Miami[/QUOTE]

Got one more from Brown

So now my updated list 1. UAB, 2. Jackson memorial Miami, 3. UPMC- Pittsburgh, 4. Mt. Sinai Med NY, 5. BWH-MGH boston 6. Uni of Minnesota 7. Medical College of Wisconsin 8. Brown 9. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited:
Uni of Alabama, Birmingham

-Laid back IV - as expected.

-day would be busy would start by 9:30 or so and end by 3:00 pm
-No formal presentation about the program
-3/4 Interviewees on a given day
-Total of 6 IVs/per candidate ( 1 would be with a 1st year fellow)
-Positives:
-PD is very polite and gentle person
-Strong academic program- encourages to do research- clinical as well as basic sciences ample opportunities
-Regular run of mill questions why nephro, why birmingham etc etc.
-Would get a chance to attend biopsy conference 12-1 pm which was good with all the faculty members pitching in their thoughts- discussion was good.
-Some big names in research!
- None would force UAB on you, they would give their perspective and would leave upto you to decide if you want to go there!
-Weather- warm especially those who are fed up of NE/North winters/snow.
-Fellows looked content- not hysterically happy but not complaining

-Flip side
-First year fellows have to work hard as expected, have to come for overnight admissions atleast for first 6-7 months may take calls from home later on- but have to come for emergent dialysis (as expected) [this point may not qualify for flip side category :p]
- none of the fellows are staying back at UAB most of them going into private practice- may be 1 will stay back for further sub sub specialization.
-CITY!! Birmingham- decently sized- but nothing much to do..social life is not that good. Good restaurants but during my short stay I could not figure out any activity that one would be excited about.

Overall rating 7/10 [low rating coz of city! otherwise program is very good career wise]

it has been quiet here. wake up future nephrologists :)

I will post my experience when i have more IVs...

keep the post alive!!!:eek::laugh:

Nice location. I am not satisfied with didactic and faculty. mainly clinical oriented. interms of clinical , you will get exposure to everything. No transplant
No pathology

Hi, i am new to this forum. I need some guidance. I applied this year. I applied to Tristate area and got 10 interviews out of 30. So far i have given 2 interviews. I am so frustated for last few weeks because one of the fellow whom i am currently working told me about new upcoming challanges . According to her, it is almost impossible to find jobs in Newyork,nj after doing Nephrology. Most of the place ,pays you well below the Primary care or Hospitalist. I mean atleast 50k below. Work load is double than hospitalist and same as PCP.
I already cancelled one IV.
What are your inputs or experiences? have you done any research in this regards? i know interest is very important but at the end of the day , u also want to make money.

Hi, i am new to this forum. I need some guidance. I applied this year. I applied to Tristate area and got 10 interviews out of 30. So far i have given 2 interviews. I am so frustated for last few weeks because one of the fellow whom i am currently working told me about new upcoming challanges . According to her, it is almost impossible to find jobs in Newyork,nj after doing Nephrology. Most of the place ,pays you well below the Primary care or Hospitalist. I mean atleast 50k below. Work load is double than hospitalist and same as PCP.
I already cancelled one IV.
What are your inputs or experiences? have you done any research in this regards? i know interest is very important but at the end of the day , u also want to make money.

I really do not know that much about NY or NJ area, but I have heard similar things from some nephrologist that practiced in that area and had to move to smaller cities for better pay, but I don't think that should be a major deciding factor, because if you really like the specialty enough you will be content. Also, you always have the option of moving to better paying areas, unless there is a reason you really want to stay in that specific region. Good-luck with your final decision.

MCG, Medical college of Georgia,

Very small program,
Very nice people,
Very clinically oriented,
ZERO research....well not zero but you know what i mean

small college town but lots of things to do.

the PD is an awsome person, very energetic, he was the PD of Jacksonville, FL and before he was the PD of PD assistant at Ohio state. down to the earth and very easy to talk to,

very small hospital...community and VA.

Their fellows seems to get a very good teaching curriculum and they see 15-20 patients on average,

The fellow have no problem findings jobs later on...

Indiana University,

excellent balance of teaching, research and service, you cover 4 hospitals,
one university, community, private and VA hospital.

5 fellows a year..though they are looking fo only 4 because they already offered someone a pre match.

they are trying to establish an interventional rotation in the next year or so but dont know if it will happen because they are getting a lot of politics from other places

city was good, though on the smaller side, cant compare it to chicago at all

attendings were very down to earth so were the fellows,

one applicant per day,

PD was a very calm humble confident person.

the facilities were mostly built in the last 5-10 years.

endless research opportunities,

fellows carry 15-30 patients depending on which hospital

very very busy first year, you have 10 months of service,
2 months at each hospital..so that 8 month

2 months of transplant...so that 10 months total

second year is primarily research

the transplant attendings seemed little too serious for some reason,

Last edited:
im going to Memphis Tennessee tomorrow,

any advice???

Any inputs about MUSC? I am interviewing there next week

thanks!

Hey Kidneygirl,

Did you very recently IV at UPMC Pittsburgh?

Any inputs about MUSC? I am interviewing there next week

thanks!

All I can say is you are going to love it

They have a very similar setting to Indiana university

Though the city is much much smaller

You can ask me specific questions if u need

MCG, Medical college of Georgia,

Very small program,
Very nice people,
Very clinically oriented,
ZERO research....well not zero but you know what i mean

small college town but lots of things to do.

the PD is an awsome person, very energetic, he was the PD of Jacksonville, FL and before he was the PD of PD assistant at Ohio state. down to the earth and very easy to talk to,

very small hospital...community and VA.

Their fellows seems to get a very good teaching curriculum and they see 15-20 patients on average,

The fellow have no problem findings jobs later on...

Thanks for the information. I look forward to interviewing there soon. Hope you had a nice time at UT-Memphis today.

Thanks for the information. I look forward to interviewing there soon. Hope you had a nice time at UT-Memphis today.

no problem man

im at the hotel now, UT memphis is tomorrow

so far the city reminds me of detroit !!

Guys,

I need info about UVA, SLU and Louisville please..

Cute...

Thanks for the GWU information...

did you go to other places yet?

Did anyone go to Jacksonville?

I'm canceling my IV there....I have been hearing horrible things...especially from their former PD...who is the PD at MCG now.....but from fellow at other places too...

two rejections today
UMN and Brown!!!!

All I can say is you are going to love it

They have a very similar setting to Indiana university

Though the city is much much smaller

You can ask me specific questions if u need

Thanks!

Just a question how many people do they interview per day?

Also I am going to SLU on 03/14/10 I can give information after that

Thanks!

Just a question how many people do they interview per day?

Also I am going to SLU on 03/14/10 I can give information after that

im going to SLU on the 14th too !!!

PM me you name so we can chat there.

four hospitals norton, va, university and jewish
university is the most busy around 20 to 30 patients
jewish is the center for transplant
interview was relaxed I interviewed with 7 faculty.
if you want to do interventional nephrologist this is place for you. they have a center and a very enthusiastic attending about teaching.

cons: residents help not existed in every facility and if you r on call you have to come to the hospital to see u patients.

first year u r on call (pager)every 4th to 5th night that change in second year to be every 6th night. u cover the 4 hospitals during ur call. u cover only one weekend during the month and u have three weekends off.

pros: if u r on call u can go home early next day after 1 PM. very supportive PD.

opportunity for basic research. residents looked happy and very statisfied about the learning experience. most of them end up in private practise.

city is nice and not expensive

I hope that helps....:)

four hospitals norton, va, university and jewish
university is the most busy around 20 to 30 patients
jewish is the center for transplant
interview was relaxed I interviewed with 7 faculty.
if you want to do interventional nephrologist this is place for you. they have a center and a very enthusiastic attending about teaching.

cons: residents help not existed in every facility and if you r on call you have to come to the hospital to see u patients.

first year u r on call (pager)every 4th to 5th night that change in second year to be every 6th night. u cover the 4 hospitals during ur call. u cover only one weekend during the month and u have three weekends off.

pros: if u r on call u can go home early next day after 1 PM. very supportive PD.

opportunity for basic research. residents looked happy and very statisfied about the learning experience. most of them end up in private practise.

city is nice and not expensive

I hope that helps....:)

Thank you so much

More details on MUSC

Huge hospital
Every subspecialty u can think of
Cover 4 hospitals but 2 of them are small
Big transplant place, liver, heart and kidney
Big GI and surgery center, so lots of acute renal failure

They are building a new hospital, adding 100 beds every year or two, depending on the economy

Acute service and chronic service
I think only consult service. No primary but not sure
Patient load anywhere from 12 to 35 depending on which hospital

No interventional at all a d they don't beleive in it but they may help you get a rotation somewhere

Fellows very happy
Attendings were very nice and most of them are either famous or graduate of big programs

City is small, typical college town, so it will be difficult for ur spouse to find a job
Weather is hot at summer
The rent is either cheap or expensive for some reason according to the fellows!!

Great basic research and good clinical research chances

The PD has a great personality and very easy to talk to

I guess that it