Nephrology rotation before Medicine rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raidermedic

MS IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get input on this. I have to pick an elective rotation for 3rd year and I will not know what my actual schedual is until later in the summer. I've been told that the elective will not be my first rotation but it is not garunteed that I will have a medicine rotation before it. It is likely I will have a month of inpatient and outpatient family med before the rotation. Could one still be competent in a nephrology rotation without having gone through medicine rotation or should I sign up for a radiology or other rotation instead?

Members don't see this ad.

raidermedic said:
Just wanted to get input on this. I have to pick an elective rotation for 3rd year and I will not know what my actual schedual is until later in the summer. I've been told that the elective will not be my first rotation but it is not garunteed that I will have a medicine rotation before it. It is likely I will have a month of inpatient and outpatient family med before the rotation. Could one still be competent in a nephrology rotation without having gone through medicine rotation or should I sign up for a radiology or other rotation instead?

I'm doing a Cardiology rotation 4 months prior to my Medicine rotation.

My 3rd year electives, in order, are Radiology, Primary Care Sports Medicine, Anesthesiology, and Cardiology.

Just tell your nephrology cohorts that you haven't done medicine yet.

You sort of have to be smarter than everyone else to be an academic nephrlogist (no, I am not a nephrologist). Ask your team to help you understand acid-base (pulm and renal are the best at this!). You will come to your medicine rotation ready to roll.

Try to get this rotation if you are even remotely interested in this sort of stuff.

raidermedic said:

Yes, you can do fine without having medicine first. Some people start Nephro as their 1st month of medicine and do just fine. Just make it clear to your team that you haven't rotated through the medicine clerkship.

Save radiology for 4th year.

Hany