NERB status after passing FL Boards?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flipflop88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is anyone having problems getting NERB status after passing FLORIDA BOARDS? I just passed the FL exam and NERB just told me they wont give me NERB status even though I have a paper stating that they will!!!

any ideas?!? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I had no problem getting NERB status. I just waited for the official scores from the FL boards and then submitted that paper that was included in the packet. Within about 2 weeks, I received my NERB certificate.
I don't know why they won't give you NERB status. If you are a dental student and have not graduated as yet, they may have to wait until you graduate, but don't quote me on that.

I had no problem getting NERB status. I just waited for the official scores from the FL boards and then submitted that paper that was included in the packet. Within about 2 weeks, I received my NERB certificate.
I don't know why they won't give you NERB status. If you are a dental student and have not graduated as yet, they may have to wait until you graduate, but don't quote me on that.

it seems like they have changed. no one is giving me a clear answer, nerb or florida...it is rediculous. so many pple in my class are in trouble now bec we signed up for florida bec we thougth we would get nerb status. do you have any documentation that says they would give you nerb status after taking florida? any help would be really really appreciated. thanks!

it seems like they have changed. no one is giving me a clear answer, nerb or florida...it is rediculous. so many pple in my class are in trouble now bec we signed up for florida bec we thougth we would get nerb status. do you have any documentation that says they would give you nerb status after taking florida?

Seems like they should. On the NERB website under examinations there are two exams listed: NERB and Florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the REASON they denied giving you NERB status?

They aren't being clear but they told me that it is really up to the individual states to grant licensure. I told them that I understand that and all I want is the same piece of paper that they gave to other people who took Florida that states that they have obtained this "NERB status". They then told me that they don't even know if they can do that for me anymore....with no reason as to why. I could potentially lose thousands of dollars over this, not to mention the craziness of trying to find patients and sit for the clinical boards again. I am ready to go to court over this. Please, if anyone out there has any documentation, help us out!

i dunno if this is related; but there are some changes coming to FL license. it looks like the board voted to adopt the ADEX exam. i'm not sure if this means that if a person takes the ADEX somewhere other than FL will they get a FL license? either way; this is the email i just received from the FL dental association:

Dear WCDDA Members:

Earlier this year, the Florida Dental Association's Board of Trustees (FDA BOT) sent you a letter concerning licensure and mid-level provider issues. It discussed the numerous growing pressures that the Florida Board of Dentistry (BOD) faces in providing a valid, reliable and cost-effective dental licensure
examination process within our state. Since then, there have been many developments and we are committed to keeping you informed of these as they occur. Most recently, the BOD met on Friday, December 3rd, and took actions of importance to dentists throughout Florida. The Board voted to join the American Board of Dental Examiners (ADEX) and utilize this organization's dental licensure examination (known as ADLEX) as Florida's own examination. The Board also voted to utilize this same organization's American Dental Hygiene Licensure Exam (known as ADHLEX) as Florida's own dental hygiene licensure examination.

What is ADEX? ADEX is NOT a regional board. It is an examination development association that contractually allows member states to administer their examinations (ADLEX and ADHLEX). This is an
important distinction from regional boards. Many of our state's examination experts agree that the current Florida examination is almost identical to the ADLEX. Florida examiners participated in the creation of ADEX and its examinations and many still serve as examiners for both the Florida and ADEX exams. Florida's current examination is presently administered by the Northeast Regional Board of Dental Examiners (NERB), which also administers the ADLEX in twenty-eight other states. Nationally, the ADLEX
and the Florida examination are considered to be the "Gold Standard" of valid, reliable dental examinations.

The BOD anticipates an 18 month timeline to implement the ADLEX in Florida so it can assure that the exam is identical to the current Florida dental licensure exam. Statutory changes will be required. The BOD will need to become a member of ADEX and the BOD understands that the FDA House of Delegates must amend its current policies before the FDA will advocate in support of legislative changes. The BOD has indicated that it will consider the recommendations of the FDA House. Although the BOD would like the FDA's support in effecting these legislative changes, the BOD has reiterated that it is the ultimate decision making body over the state's licensure process (although any licensure process approved by the BOD must fit into the statutory framework established by the Legislature). It is important to understand that although the FDA's Board of Trustees is making carefully considered recommended policy changes, no official action has been taken by the FDA, nor will any be taken without the FDA House of Delegates' approval.

Florida is one of only two remaining states that does not recognize the results of any other examinations (including ADLEX) given in other states. If a candidate passes the Florida examination, he or she may be granted a license to practice in twenty-six other ADLEX states and will also be eligible for licensure by credentials in forty-seven states.

When you turn in your form to get NERB status after taking the FL exam, there is a specific contact person listed on that form, should you have any questions. Rather than calling the generic NERB phone number, I suggest that you contact the person listed on the release form, they are the ones responsible for specifically granting NERB status for FL test-takers.

Here is the full PDF of the letter someone posted before by the FDA:

http://floridadental.org/pro/members/resources/documents/ADEX.pdf

Seems like they will consider accepting ADLEX from other states but it will be for all NEW test takers (any dentists that have previously passed ADLEX from another state would not be eligible even if it is the same exact exam).

Has anyone had any updates/success with getting "NERB status" recently? I, too, am thinking of taking the Florida boards and was counting on this to practice in New Jersey. Now I'm not sure if I should just wait it out until this new ADLEX exam is administered and take it then.

Here is the full PDF of the letter someone posted before by the FDA:

http://floridadental.org/pro/members/resources/documents/ADEX.pdf

Seems like they will consider accepting ADLEX from other states but it will be for all NEW test takers (any dentists that have previously passed ADLEX from another state would not be eligible even if it is the same exact exam).

Has anyone had any updates/success with getting "NERB status" recently? I, too, am thinking of taking the Florida boards and was counting on this to practice in New Jersey. Now I'm not sure if I should just wait it out until this new ADLEX exam is administered and take it then.

Right......but what about the other way around...NERB states accepting Florida. They did this the past 2 yrs..