Nervous about starting dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redhotchiligochu

D3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you about to start dental school soon, how do you all feel? TBH I was quite elated back in January/February but now that it's all about to go down in July, I've been thinking about a lot of things: will I be able to pass my classes? Will I be able to get along with my classmates? Have I made the right decision to attend "X" school and decline "Y" school? Anyone in the same boat? lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
For those of you about to start dental school soon, how do you all feel? TBH I was quite elated back in January/February but now that it's all about to go down in July, I've been thinking about a lot of things: will I be able to pass my classes? Will I be able to get along with my classmates? Have I made the right decision to attend "X" school and decline "Y" school? Anyone in the same boat? lol
I've got some anxieties about starting and also knowing how I'm gonna lose all semblance of mindless entertainment. If you're just worried about passing and not making top grades, I don't think you should be worried. Like if I had a mom or dad in dentistry and was gonna inherit a practice or knew I wanted general dentistry over anything else, dental school would be smooth sailing. The son of a dentist I shadowed is seriously living it up in d school- goes to basketball games on fridays, plays tennis, hangs out with friends. There are people with like 3.2s and 19 DATs getting into d school all the time and they pass.

I'm ready to roll and get started.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dental school isn't hard to pass. In fact, dental school is easy if you just want to get C's. Whats hard is getting all A's.

Remember, they want you to stay in school so they can receive your tuition for all 4 years. You drop out, they can't fill that spot, lost money for them.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, anxiety and worry will not give you solution. You seem to made the decision now make all the effort to make it right like socializing skills to make new friends. Best of Luck!!

Take it by the day. No need to get anxious about the entire semester, or year, or by graduation. Focus on what's in front of you, and let the rest fall in place. It can be hard to snap yourself out of what's down the road, but practice distracting yourself from it. Make the goal about your day, and how would you end it with the tasks in hand.

From 1-10, I would give my experience in dental school a solid 3. When I started it was closer to 7, but I had to be mentally strong and take it by the day to get through it. Maybe it was because I was 28 when I started dental school, or maybe because I moved out of my comfort zone into another state and pick up a book again... but I just had to accept the new reality and get past that state of mind to get the goals done one task at a time.

You will be fine... Good luck!

Reactions: 8 users
I'm chilling, just ready for the year to get started. Supposedly D1 is the really difficult year at my school, and then D2 drops off a cliff, so i'm just ready for this year to go by haha.

I'm really conflicted on my approach to school though, I honestly have absolutely no intention of specializing, but i kind of want to do really well for bragging rights. I think Netflix and extra cuddle time will trump my desire to score well though in the long run.

I start June 26th and the time is dragging by so slowly. Just want to get on with it already.

There's bound to be a few people in your class with similar interests. And no use worrying about your school choice - it's set in stone. Every school has something to like about it.

tumblr_nk17m2sXnc1rbbu13o1_500.gif

Reactions: 1 user
For what it's worth, I party more in dental school than I did in undergrad and I'm top 15 in my class of over 100...just manage your time, work hard in preclinical classes (the stuff that matters) - it's not that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
For what it's worth, I party more in dental school than I did in undergrad and I'm top 15 in my class of over 100...just manage your time, work hard in preclinical classes (the stuff that matters) - it's not that bad.

Prob doesn't matter, but what was your Ugrad GPA and DAT?

I am officially starting mine next Monday since I am doing summer research on the project i have been unofficially working on for more than 6 months haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Some days I'm excited and others I'm legit terrified, mainly because I'm going really far OOS for school and I don't know anybody there. Also I start in about a month.. :scared:

This thread makes me feel better though!

Reactions: 4 users
First full summer of no classes since I had a kid. I'm really just looking forward to a break! :soexcited:
I'm going to read all the non-textbooks I can, go camping a lot, plan trips, and go to festivals in my new town.
Oh. And netflix everything!

But for real, I get nervous but then I think "Hey, let's not worry about this until it happens!" We'll all make it! :clap::clap:

Some days I'm excited and others I'm legit terrified, mainly because I'm going really far OOS for school and I don't know anybody there. Also I start in about a month.. :scared:

This thread makes me feel better though!

If it makes you feel better, I would make a few friends on SDN who are actually going to your school. Just like any other academic institution, dental school won't hold your hand until you graduate. You have to put yourself out there and embrace change.

I remember 2 years ago, I started school thinking I'd be doing all these great things. Now I feel like I fell short of my expectations. So yea, just keep an open mind and positive attitude, you will get through it :)

This is funny. If I were a student today, I'd be more worried about whether or not I made the right decision to go to dental school in the first place with the outrageous tuition costs.

Do you go to USC?

Nope, if anything I can't wait to start!

Can you clarify what classes matter and what dont?

Can you clarify what classes matter and what dont?

Don't get me wrong, all of the didactic classes "matter" before you take boards pt. 1 (the harder you study in the actual class and the better you understand the concepts, the less stressful that process will be)...but once you hit D3 year, aside from anatomy and oral path and very minor components from a few others, they are all essentially worthless. Depending on if you want to specialize or not focus on your hand skills and courses that will be relevant for the rest of your career. They all go by different names at different schools so I won't list specific courses, but if you got this far I'm sure you're smart enough to use reason and figure it out.

This is funny. If I were a student today, I'd be more worried about whether or not I made the right decision to go to dental school in the first place with the outrageous tuition costs.
^^ Agreed!

All very normal feelings. Good luck with everything!

I was stoked on December 1 and still am most days. I have more anxiety as stuff is starting to already pile on my plate... mother in law in renal failure on dialysis, husband deploying pretty much my whole first year. Just worried how my stress will balance with school but I am thankful to be starting.

I'm excited to get to my new city and my new school! For those of you who've never been far from home for school or anything, being in a smaller class size is kind of an automatic support system. I went across the country for undergrad not knowing anyone but my teammates worked the same way- you're all in the same boat working towards the same goal! You will survive don't worry! Balance is totally key and I'm looking forward to finding my new study spots and coffee places to stay sane
Thanks for the encouragement! Hopefully this will be less intimidating than undergrad, in terms of class sizes e.g. 70 people in the same grade/class versus 5000.

I was stoked on December 1 and still am most days. I have more anxiety as stuff is starting to already pile on my plate... mother in law in renal failure on dialysis, husband deploying pretty much my whole first year. Just worried how my stress will balance with school but I am thankful to be starting.
Yes, this does sound like it will be difficult. But the positive is that you will be so busy your first year that it's a good time for him to deploy. He can get the rotation knocked out at a time you wouldn't have been spending much time together anyway.