Nervous ... Last Minute "What are my chances?" - California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gwath

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I'm sure you are all tired of these kind of thread, but I really would like some guidance.

• California resident, Chinese ethnicity
  • Applying to UOP, Touro, Loma Linda and Northstate.
  • Still researching out of state schools (mainly Tier 2/3): Midwestern (AZ), and was wondering what other non-CA schools I might be competitive applicant at.

• Degree - UCLA - BS. Psychobiology
  • Cum GPA ~ 3.16 (although positive upward trend 2.4 first -> 3.8 last quarter)
  • Sci GPA ~ 2.9
  • PCAT - 90 composite
Verbal 82
Bio 89
Reading 91
Math 72 (ran out of time)
Chem 85​
  • 200 hrs hospital volunteer
  • 50 hrs hospital outpatient pharmacy volunteer
  • 50 hrs community pharmacy volunteer
  • 150 hours long term care volunteer pharmacy tech
  • 250 hours lab research assistant
  • 600 hours independent research (no publications, but have poster presentations)
  • Active in church fellowship (some leadership positions)
  • Licensed pharmacy technician (can't find a job)
  • Mediocre recommendation from Pharmacist and Professor
  • Strong recommendation from research supervisor
Ideally would like to attend pharm school in CA, but they don't consider PCAT, which makes me very nervous.
My GPA was very low first 2 year. Just had a difficult time adjusting to college, and general lack of motivation. I sought help from peers and church, and ended college stronger, but it's very hard to bring up GPA ...

Does anyone have advice on any non-CA schools that I should consider?

Thanks guys!

I think your GPA is below the avg but just right above the cutoff line for application consideration as most schools. Your GPA is excellent, but I have seen many post their scores here on SDN in the 90's percentile for this application season, which tells me the competition is strong this season (at least for good schools).

My advice is to just apply. And as early as possible. Apply to any reach schools that you like but also to some lower tier/newish schools as backup. Polish things that you can on your applications like LORs and personal essays.

You might get in high tier schools or you might not but I think you definitely get in some schools, esp mid-lower tier.

Reactions: 1 user