Oct 23, 2010
Upstate NY
Status
I am so nervous about my applications. I let go a great postdoc at Columbia to follow my dream of going to med school and working with MSF etc. Well my undergradGPA is 3.46 (science GPA-3.34), gradGPA is 3.96, mcat is 33R, have phd in chem bio in May 2011 (postponed defense to next May cause I would otherwise be unemployed, so am working on side projects to add to thesis, have 1st author publication in works, have one patent, disadvantaged and a minority. Should I just wait or should I resume the postdoc search just in case nothing pans out. My secondaries were sent out in late Sept and early October cause I was in africa in the summer. Is that why I am not getting love yet, or am I just a "re-review" or "reject but only notify in May" kind of applicant cause my uGPA and MCAT are not through the roof :( I would like any feedback on what people think of my stats. I applied to 13 schools, am aiming for some of the top ones but have a few interviews scheduled for the low-mid tier schools (4). I know I should be glad I have interviews at all but I am so sad that I have had no love from the schools I am most interested in.

smartparts

7+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd wait it out. I'm in the same timeframe for apps and I've only heard back from 4 schools too (3 interview 1 rejection). I think the better schools know they can lead you on a bit more while the mid to low tiers will try to scoop you up early (not sure if this is true...catalystik?). Being a Ph.D. is a huge help. I would've applied to more schools if I was in your position, possibly 5-7 more. NY has a good range of schools too and I would've applied to all of them unless I had a reason not to apply to 1 or 2.

EDIT: You got an interview at Rochester (#32 research #20 pcare!!!!!)? I would hardly call that a low-mid tier school! :thumbup:

Avoidthetiger

roar
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You are overthinking everything. With 4 interviews, you most likely will get in. With your below 3.5cGPA, you most likely won't hear from top schools (so congrats about Rochester! that's pretty amazing).

Do well on those 4 interviews though, because your list of schools isn't too great. It's unlikely JHU or Havard will look at you. Why did you even bother applying to Oregon? (Unless you are interested in primary care or are from that region original, I doubt you will hear back from them (I could be mistaken)). Cali schools are hard enough even for Cali residents to get into and your undergraduate GPA really hinders you here.

I'm confused about why you withdrew from two schools pre-acceptances. Those are good solid back-up schools for you. Can you finish those secondaries now? or later in the month if you don't hear back from those four interviews?

I'm sure you will get in though, so don't worry too much and have fun at your interviews and really impress them (which should be easy!) :)
http://www.mdapplicants.com/profile.php?view=viewprofile.applications&id=21500&cycle=12922&application=199475

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
I think the better schools know they can lead you on a bit more while the mid to low tiers will try to scoop you up early (not sure if this is true...catalystik?).
Not that I've noticed. It's important to appreciate that at this time of year every school has a deep pile of applications to work their way through.

OP
gvku
Oct 23, 2010
Upstate NY
Status
Thanks so much everybody. I am sooo hoping for the best. I know its not smart to hope to be the exception in some of these big leagues but it seems there is no way to redeem a poor undergrad gpa and that really sucks. I had some tough times due to my background etc in undergrad. I read all over the place that PhDs don't help, higher grad GPAs dont help, research, publications etc may help but as long as your undergrad GPA and MCAT are not stellar you are out of the big leagues. I find that really absurd or maybe I should say unfair. I feel like my maturity as a scholar, scientist and my aspirations to become a clinician have been heightened by my experience in gradschool. Its too bad that it doesn’t count much for anything here and the two years of grad courses wont count for much. :( Oh well, good luck to everyone and I hope for the best for all of us. We will all make fine physicians :) nomatter where we receive our training :xf:

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
OP, please do not post the same thread in multiple forums. I have closed your thread in Nontrad since you've already received some responses here.

Concerning your question about your chances:

First, your grades are not stellar, but they're not horrible either. Average for allo matriculants is around a 3.6, and you're not too far below par there. Your MCAT is comfortably above average, which is 30-31 for allo matriculants, and it's nicely balanced. So your stats are not a problem.

Applying late most certainly can be a problem; it's possible for a qualified applicant to not get an invite simply because the school is out of interview slots. This happens at my school every year: there are some perfectly good applicants who probably would have gotten invites if they had applied earlier, but they end up on pre-interview hold because we've given out all of the invites already. If you don't get in this year, I highly recommend that you apply in June or July next year. That being said, you should give each school at *minimum* four to six weeks to review your app after you're complete. As Catalystik pointed out, the schools get backed up as the season goes on. Since you've only been complete for about a month, it's entirely possible that you will get some more invites.

All that being said, I think the biggest problem is with your selection of schools. As others have pointed out, the geographic areas where you've focused your apps are extremely competitive, particularly California. In addition, you applied to at least one school that does not take residents of NY (U of Washington). Applying to U Wash is basically a waste of time and money for everyone except WA residents and residents of a few other Western states with no med schools of their own that are therefore considered in-state at U Wash.

If you end up reapplying, you need to get a copy of the MSAR, which tells you the admissions requirements for each school, including residency requirements. In addition, you should look at some of the research-oriented schools in the Midwest and South. There is nothing you can do at Columbia or UCSD that you couldn't do at U Pitt or U Mich. The main reason why these two hardcore research schools don't get a zillion apps and several less research-oriented schools on the coasts do is because of geography. Other schools besides U Pitt and U Mich that I'd suggest you look at are Baylor, Case Western, Pritzker (U Chicago), Northwestern, Emory, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, and Duke. Wash U may be a stretch for you stats-wise, but since you're disadvantaged/URM, I would include them too. Some of these schools may even still be accepting apps now, if you decide you want to try them for this year. If you really want to end up at a research-oriented school, I would check.

Finally, there are some formal five year programs that are geared toward training physician-investigators that you might want to check out. U Pitt has the CSTP/PSTP for clinical and basic sciences, respectively. Case Western has CCLCM, which can also be either clinical or basic sciences. One of the advantages of doing a program like this, besides the fact that you'd be able to do a post doc year while in med school, is that your tuition is heavily subsidized. At Pitt, I believe they pay 2/3 of your tuition, and at CCLCM, they pay all of it.

If you have other questions, feel free to PM; I'm a PhD-to-MD too. Also, along with Nontrad, you should check out the Physician Scientists forum. I posted a sticky in there with lots of helpful threads for PhD-to-MD applicants.

Hope this helps, and best of luck. :)

BLKPA2MD

Removed
Sep 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I am so nervous about my applications. I let go a great postdoc at Columbia to follow my dream of going to med school and working with MSF etc. Well my undergradGPA is 3.46 (science GPA-3.34), gradGPA is 3.96, mcat is 33R, have phd in chem bio in May 2011 (postponed defense to next May cause I would otherwise be unemployed, so am working on side projects to add to thesis, have 1st author publication in works, have one patent, disadvantaged and a minority. Should I just wait or should I resume the postdoc search just in case nothing pans out. My secondaries were sent out in late Sept and early October cause I was in africa in the summer. Is that why I am not getting love yet, or am I just a "re-review" or "reject but only notify in May" kind of applicant cause my uGPA and MCAT are not through the roof :( I would like any feedback on what people think of my stats. I applied to 13 schools, am aiming for some of the top ones but have a few interviews scheduled for the low-mid tier schools (4). I know I should be glad I have interviews at all but I am so sad that I have had no love from the schools I am most interested in.
..Just take a deep breath & relax! You'll do O.K Must admit, you applied late.

StephBee

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
EDIT: Realized this was better sent as a message than public post.

OP
gvku
Oct 23, 2010
Upstate NY
Status
OP, please do not post the same thread in multiple forums. I have closed your thread in Nontrad since you've already received some responses here.
Hey sorry about that. I am new here and had posted it in non-trad but then decided that this was a better venue for it. Sorry about that I didn't realize that its a big deal :) I will keep that in mind.