netters anatomy atlas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
my school requires clementes regional atlas. should i buy that? how bout netters atlas? is netters really good, a must, or not really??? how abotu high yield?? which do i buy? well celmetes teaches here, so i suppose i must buy his atlas...but should i buy netters or high yield as well???

thanks. im confused about anatomy.

Members don't see this ad.

i liked the netter-ized stylized drawings because they are much easier to learn before you see them on the cadaver. Remember, since Netter draws the images in that atlas, the images are very clean and perfect in many regards--something you won't see in lab.

in med school, rarely is there ever a "required" book. you can use pretty much any book you like as long as you can learn the material. netter, in my opinion, is the easiest to digest and memorize compared to the other atlases. if you need a more "realistic" atlas before a skills exam, just check photographic atlas in the library. don't buy more than one atlas--the library is your friend.

Netter is the gold standard that most everyone uses, but I actually used Clemente because I had it from undergrad. I liked it and found some of the muscle charts and radiographs/imaging helpful. I'm not sure how much of that is in Netter. However, the Clemente atlas lacks neuroanatomy, not sure if Netter includes any of that. Otherwise, they're probably interchangeable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I preferred Clemente over Netter's, but I am definitely in the minority. I honestly don't know what the big fuss is over that book ... see if you can borrow both for a little while before you actually buy one.

Just join AMA and get a free Netters if u can.

VienneseWaltz said:
Personally, I preferred Clemente over Netter's, but I am definitely in the minority. I honestly don't know what the big fuss is over that book ... see if you can borrow both for a little while before you actually buy one.

I totally agree with you. I didn't realize Clemente existed until after I had finished anatomy. I happened to come across Clemente, opened it up, and I couldn't believe how much better Clemente was versus Netter's. Clemente has awesome pics of the vasculature (esp. the portal system).

omarsaleh66 said:
Just join AMA and get a free Netters if u can.

They give you one free if you join? I checked the website and didn't see anything. Any tips on how to do this?

E.A. Poe said:
They give you one free if you join? I checked the website and didn't see anything. Any tips on how to do this?

You get one free when you join AMS A, not AMA. You have to sign up for their credit card though, I think.

pjv2410 said:
You get one free when you join AMS A, not AMA. You have to sign up for their credit card though, I think.

This is true--it's ridiculous. If you love Netter's, just buy one, as it's about the same price as an AMSA membership. Don't join AMSA unless you're interested in its politics.

If you join (pay for the AMSA membership), but don't fill out the credit card application, you don't get one. You have to fill out the credit card app to get the free Netters.

Netter is great. and the Netter flashcards are even better.

Netter is pretty inaccurate in places and can be very frustrating. Once you are comfortable with anatomical coordinates, Gray's is the best atlas (and available for free online!). I liked Moore's Clinical Anatomy too.

Clemente is much better than Netter. "Much" isn't a good enough word--how about, "much much." There are descriptions at the bottom of each plate that make life lovely.