Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Netter's flash cards helpful?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by KyGrlDr2B, Aug 10, 2002.

1. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

Hey guys...I'm just wondering if anyone used flash cards to study anatomy and if so, were they helpful or a waste of money/time?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It depends on how cheap they are. I like to use flash cards to study, but I sort of use my own. I really learn a lot just making them.

Instead of making them on paper, I make "virtual" flashcards on the computer. You can either find some flash card software (often freeware or cheap shareware) or just use something like an Excel spreadsheet.

Here's how I use Excel. In one column I have some term such as Insertion of Rhomboid Minor and in another column I put the answer, however, the text color is white. In that way, only when I select the answer cell does the answer appear. Once I put in all the terms and answers (which by the way can also include pictures/drawings that I have scanned in) for a particular area that I'm studying I also have a column in which I put a random number (Excel formula =RAND() ) so that I can sort the list randomly and go through them many times but never the same way twice. I also have one column that is a category (such as MUSCLES or DERIVATIVE GERM LAYER) so that I can sort by that as well if I just want to study one particular area.

This helps me out because I really am learning a lot as I prepare the spreadsheet, and then continually add to it as the course goes on. It seems to work well for Gross, Embryology, and Histology. Also, I can then e-mail the spreadsheet to my classmates to help them out if they want it. Let me know if you want me to e-mail you a copy of one that I have setup for my Gross and Developmental Anatomy class so far.

4. Doctor&Geek

Doctor&Geek 25 > 5 / 15 < 8
    Physician PhD Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Stuff I've heard:

Other that time spent in the lab, time spent with Netter's is high quality training for practicals. The flash card format is very much like the practical format that's commonly given in examinations. Netter's pics + flash cards = high impact study tool.

Seriously, though, group study with cadavers and mock practicals with pimping sessions [innervation, blood supply, etc.] is the highest impact study I know of.

Remember:

More cadavers viewed >>> less cadavers viewed
    Cadaver study >>> book study, especially in groups

Yours,

Jason

5. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    mpp--great idea!

I use study cards a lot, but anatomy ones are tough to make well so I did buy Netter's cards. They are quite good IMO. I'll probably use mpp's idea too, though.