Fdsa2495

2+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2015
So I've been able to get myself into a TOP 10 medical school research lab. This is my dream medical school and I have 1 year before I apply to school (Summer 2018 cycle). Say I already have the GPA and MCAT scores to get into this medical school, how can I increase my chances while working here in a lab. My PI is an MD in a division of the Medical school but otherthan just talking to my PI how can I get myself known to the board, the dean, etc. I am willing to do anything I can to get into this school and I'm already loving it here.

I already have the grades, extracurriculars, clinical experience, and am getting research experience. I am only asking about tips on networking to maximize my chances in a particular school.

About the Ads

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
So I've been able to get myself into a TOP 10 medical school research lab. This is my dream medical school and I have 1 year before I apply to school (Summer 2018 cycle). Say I already have the GPA and MCAT scores to get into this medical school, how can I increase my chances while working here in a lab. My PI is an MD in a division of the Medical school but otherthan just talking to my PI how can I get myself known to the board, the dean, etc. I am willing to do anything I can to get into this school and I'm already loving it here.

I already have the grades, extracurriculars, clinical experience, and am getting research experience. I am only asking about tips on networking to maximize my chances in a particular school.
A 504 MCAT will speak louder than any networking at this point.
Do your best to improve your MCAT and apply to schools that might interview you!
I got a 504 and I'm taking 2 gap years now

Last edited by a moderator:

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student

A 504 might get you IIs at these schools. A Top 10? Only as a standardized patient.

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Oakland U Beaumont

Loyola

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

WVU

MCW

Creighton

VCU

Albany

Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

Kpw101

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Going to reiterate what everyone was saying about the 504 MCAT. That's not good enough for top schools where the median usually 517+ (and I'm trying to be conservative). If you desperately want to get into a top 10 school, your GPA should be 3.8+ right now and you would definitely have to retake the MCAT.

If I were you I'd settle for any medical school I could get into right now and postpone your dreams of being at a top institution until your residency.

EDIT: I don't if any amount of networking will overcome a 504 MCAT. Time will be better spent preparing to blow your retake out the water.

Reactions: Goro

Chromium Surfer

2+ Year Member
May 24, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Dang I checked back on this thread and didn't expect to see so much savagery :heckyeah:

But yeah sorry OP I would have to agree with everyone else rn just focus on crushing the MCAT and go from there!

Reactions: drlemons and Gurby

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Say I already have the GPA and MCAT scores to get into this medical school
If we hypothetically are going to talk about someone with a high MCAT, impress your PI and get a glowing letter of rec. It can matter that the person raving about you is a big name researcher they're familiar with at their own institution.

Beyond that, I honestly wouldn't bother trying to get yourself introduced to faculty on admissions or anything like that. Just impress your PI.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
So I've been able to get myself into a TOP 10 medical school research lab. . . . I have 1 year before I apply to school (Summer 2018 cycle). Say I already have the GPA and MCAT scores to get into this medical school, how can I increase my chances while working here in a lab.

I already have the grades, extracurriculars, clinical experience, and am getting research experience.
Wait to apply until you have 2+ years of research experience completed, a strong LOR from the PI, and a very-strong peer leadership experience.

imxpandanese

5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
A lab mate of mine (T10 school) was close to our PI (who gets the most research funding in the neuro department at our school) who is on the admissions committee. Also was introduced to the PI next to our lab, who is also in the admissions committee. Pretty sure they were not supposed to disclose the fact they were on the admissions committee, but that's how close they got to my lab mate.

Anyways, my lab mate attempted to do what you did, but had MCAT of 513 (still low for our med school).

In the end, he did not even get an interview invite from our med school. I don't think admissions at a top school can justify accepting a significantly lower quality candidate over a more promising applicant who has multiple publications, grants, and research awards. Maybe if your parents donated a building, but that's not the case.

If you shooting for a top med school, the best you can do if I were in your situation is work your a** off in your lab, get publications, present at conferences, and be an overall stellar applicant.

There is evidence to suggest merit and hard work gets you into top schools, relying on networking in lieu of achievements...not so much.

Reactions: Goro and candbgirl

21Rush12

Searching a cave behind a waterfall
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Step 1: Stop capitalizing TOP
Step 2: Retake MCAT
Step 3: Realize that even with a 520, your 504 is going to make top 10 probably unattainable
Step 4: Figure out why you want to pick a top 10 school only and if med school is really what you're after.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
One thing that's important is that OP doesn't want any top 10-OP wants a particular top 10. That limits things a lot and most likely won't have a great outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

aldol16

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Your stats and app have to be within striking range of the med school in order for networking to help at all. Networking isn't going to make up for any lacking part of your application. Furthermore, even someone with perfect stats and a Rhodes scholarship isn't guaranteed to get into any top 10 school he or she applies to. He or she would probably get into a top ten school - probably even many top ten schools. But there's no guarantee that he or she will get into the specific one that he or she wants.

Reactions: candbgirl
About the Ads