'networking' with schools- what, why, how and when

Nov 20, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I've seen some of the adcoms on here ask applicants in the WAMCs and confidential if and how much they networked. This is new to me, I didn't realize applying to school would require this. Truthfully, I don't even know what this entails. An email at the beginning of the cycle to the dean of admissions? Find current students and invite them for a virtual cup of coffee after emailing them a Starbucks gift card? I don't go to a large and prestigious school...(the reason why I mention this is I recently found out the so called T30s make recruitment informational webinars at big name undergrads like Vandy, I saw Sinai do it...that's not happening at my little state school). What is networking why, when and how?

Reactions: 1 user
May 18, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Honestly never heard of this, but it's definitely not necessary. I come from a state school, never networked, and am doing fine this cycle.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Networking for medical school admissions? That could do as more harm than good if you come off as stalker-ish. Frankly when I used to work and present at all the recruitment fairs, I was always amazed to see students dressed to the nines, and line up with resume in hand to the booths.

About the Ads
Apr 9, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
The only networking I know of is Ohio Medical Education Day (OMED) for OH-based UG students. Even then, it's more to learn about what our OH MD/DO schools are looking for in an applicant, rather than selling ourselves. Could there be something similar in your state?

EdgeTrimmer

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I only see one adcom/consultant recommending constantly in WAMC thread and never understood that. With most students applying for 15+ schools and schools getting thousands of application I don't think either applicants have time to network or schools have time to entertain and keep track.

Reactions: 3 users

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I've seen some of the adcoms on here ask applicants in the WAMCs and confidential if and how much they networked. This is new to me, I didn't realize applying to school would require this. Truthfully, I don't even know what this entails. An email at the beginning of the cycle to the dean of admissions? Find current students and invite them for a virtual cup of coffee after emailing them a Starbucks gift card? I don't go to a large and prestigious school...(the reason why I mention this is I recently found out the so called T30s make recruitment informational webinars at big name undergrads like Vandy, I saw Sinai do it...that's not happening at my little state school). What is networking why, when and how?
Please don't do anything like this!
Fairs and such are for you to get to know more about the school, not for them to get to know you!
Anything more is neither required nor helpful.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.