NeuraLink to spy on pre-med's thoughts good for society? (Medical Ethics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lrsdoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the recent announcement from Elon Musk that NeuraLink's brain computer interface is operational, it is now possible for implanted people's thoughts to be remotely monitored--"telepathic" surveillance, in other words. As a thought experiment, do you think that ADCOMMs should partner with NeuraLink to implant pre-med students with this device to assess them as candidates?

If so, do you think that ADCOMMs should have to gain conscious consent from students before implanting them with the device? Would it be enough for the student's parents to give consent even if the student were above the age of 18? Would it be legal or ethically acceptable for an ADCOMM to implant a pre-med student without their consent with this device even before the FDA has approved it as a medical device for use in humans? Do the same laws and rules of medical ethics regarding informed consent and non-consensual medical experimentation without sanctioning from the IRB or the FDA (e.g. the Nuremberg code) apply to ADCOMMs as to other doctors? Or are they above the law and all medical ethics because their charge of protecting the public from "unfit" medical students trumps all other concerns?

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad. After all, the CASPer already has our webcams on constantly watching us throughout the exam. Lots of apps and websites such as SDN can access your webcam and microphone whenever they want to. How else do you think those Facebook ads are trying to sell you things that you talked about in front of your phone or your computer? Every message we type on this website could be added to a dossier of online content we've generated that's made available to all med schools for their judgment, for all we know. Would it really be so bad for an ADCOMM member and a physician to implant a brain computer interface device that has not yet been approved by the FDA for no medical reason into a pre-med's brain without their consent so that med school ADCOMMs can read the candidate's thoughts and decide based on that whether to admit the person?

Nothing is more important for the betterment of society than recruiting the best possible medical school candidates (and weeding out the bad apples with bad thoughts), right? So the violations of medical ethics, human rights, and the law such a project would entail would be justified, right? Or did I miss something in my ethical reasoning here?

Since this issue will come up eventually whether we like it or not due to this technology, I figure we might as well start talking about it out in the open now. I'm curious what students and what ADCOMM members such as @LizzyM, @gonnif, @Toutie, @meded, @Goro, @gyngyn, @Catalystik think.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Would it be legal or ethically acceptable for an ADCOMM to implant a pre-med student without their consent with this device even before the FDA has approved it as a medical device for use in humans?

I cant think of anything that is more of a breach of privacy than this. Awful idea. I hope this never becomes a thing.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally some good entertainment.

You're thinking too small, screw neuralink. That's some moustache twirling dystopian bad guy's first grade science fair. Gotta step that up. Use babys first human rights violation to gather information. Find what makes the perfect premed. Sequence that out. Then crispr cas9 together an army of the perfect premeds. Let those guys flood a decade of applications until you find the apex premed. I'm talking first author in nature at 10. Doesnt need sleep. Perfect step scores. Loves insurance companies. Literally vomits novel oncology drugs straight into the patent bucket.

Then you clone that bad boy and make a work force of the perfect doctor. As society crumbles into guerilla warfare between the integrated swarms of the hive and those who drill signal jammers into their skulls, the doctors will be perfect. Think about how often those pesky rebels with their free will are gonna be carpet bombed. Those kill drones we will have target anything with a core temp about 36c and no nueralink signal (sorry pandas). Our doctors will be dropping chest tubes in survivors with their left and removing signal jammers to bolster the swarm with their right.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Also,
Nothing is more important for the betterment of society than recruiting the best possible medical school candidates

3akbjs.jpg

never change SDN... I need some novel entertainment during this cycle.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
With the recent announcement from Elon Musk that NeuraLink's brain computer interface is operational, it is now possible for implanted people's thoughts to be remotely monitored--"telepathic" surveillance, in other words. As a thought experiment, do you think that ADCOMMs should partner with NeuraLink to implant pre-med students with this device to assess them as candidates?

If so, do you think that ADCOMMs should have to gain conscious consent from students before implanting them with the device? Would it be enough for the student's parents to give consent even if the student were above the age of 18? Would it be legal or ethically acceptable for an ADCOMM to implant a pre-med student without their consent with this device even before the FDA has approved it as a medical device for use in humans? Do the same laws and rules of medical ethics regarding informed consent and non-consensual medical experimentation without sanctioning from the IRB or the FDA (e.g. the Nuremberg code) apply to ADCOMMs as to other doctors? Or are they above the law and all medical ethics because their charge of protecting the public from "unfit" medical students trumps all other concerns?

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad. After all, the CASPer already has our webcams on constantly watching us throughout the exam. Lots of apps and websites such as SDN can access your webcam and microphone whenever they want to. How else do you think those Facebook ads are trying to sell you things that you talked about in front of your phone or your computer? Every message we type on this website could be added to a dossier of online content we've generated that's made available to all med schools for their judgment, for all we know. Would it really be so bad for an ADCOMM member and a physician to implant a brain computer interface device that has not yet been approved by the FDA for no medical reason into a pre-med's brain without their consent so that med school ADCOMMs can read the candidate's thoughts and decide based on that whether to admit the person?

Nothing is more important for the betterment of society than recruiting the best possible medical school candidates (and weeding out the bad apples with bad thoughts), right? So the violations of medical ethics, human rights, and the law such a project would entail would be justified, right? Or did I miss something in my ethical reasoning here?

Since this issue will come up eventually whether we like it or not due to this technology, I figure we might as well start talking about it out in the open now. I'm curious what students and what ADCOMM members such as @LizzyM, @gonnif, @Toutie, @meded, @Goro, @gyngyn, @Catalystik think.
No, its evil

Reactions: 1 user
Have you ever thought about majoring in philosophy? If yes, I have a fat man for you to throw off of a bridge to save some lives. LMK.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Have you ever thought about majoring in philosophy? If yes, I have a fat man for you to throw off of a bridge to save some lives. LMK.
For a second I thought you meant this kind of fat man and was really confused about your moral compass
1568496828355.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

To be fair, I think having some idea of ethics and philosophical decision-making is important in medicine. Obviously maybe not to this extent, but in the context of a tough medical situation or perhaps even when thinking about more psychological or sociological factors that could be affecting your patients? Then again, I'm probably just a naive, idealistic premed.

Then again, I'm not entirely certain how OP wanted to frame this argument, nor do I get what point he's trying to make.

Saying leading phrases (disregarding the numerous grammatical issues) like "Would it really be so bad for an ADCOMM member and a physician to implant a brain computer interface device that has not yet been approved by the FDA for no medical reason into a pre-med's brain without their consent so that med school ADCOMMs can read the candidate's thoughts and decide based on that whether to admit the person?"
and
"So the violations of medical ethics, human rights, and the law such a project would entail would be justified, right? Or did I miss something in my ethical reasoning here?"

makes it pretty clear that OP is probably a troll, especially considering this is their second post.

If this is, in fact, a serious post, you need to probably think long and hard about whether your paranoia has reached unacceptable limits, OP.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.