Neuro Atlas/Anatomy Book Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

betz

Layer V
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a good illustrated book for neuroanatomy. I have heard of the Netter Atlas of Neuroscience and also the Ciba Collection. Anyone have these/seen these, and know which one would be worth purchasing?

Members don't see this ad.

The Brain Atlas by Woolsley is pretty good. The choice would depend on what you want it for. If it is for your neuroanatomy courses then you should see what your upperclassmen recommend. The Netter is alright. The Ciba collections can be hit or miss. The only ones I have seen are the old ones which are essentially the Netter Atlas.

I am wanting the atlas for neurosurg to get a feel for the anatomy of the spine/brain. I have the basic Netter Atlas, which has about 60 pgs of neuro, but I was wondering if these other atlases provide more than that. I also have the Nolte atlas from my neuroscience course, and the pictures just arent that great. If not, I can just stick with the Netter. I was just wondering what other people used to get a good understanding of the anatomy of the ligaments, vertebra, etc. I was also wanting something to help understand and interpret MRI scans of the spine. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
They will definitely have more thatn the pages out of the general Netter atlas. The Brain Atlas I suggested earlier goes slice by slice through axial, sagital, and coronal cuts of the brain showing gross images, CT, and MRI. The spine sections are less detailed but somewhat helpful. There are good sections on the spinal and cerebellar pathways also.

I have also had trouble finding a good book with good teaching of spine MRI. Most helpful was one-on-one teaching with a radiologist...see if you can't find an attending or resident that will sepnd 30 minutes or so with you; you'll learn a ton. If they have a spine conference at your school, attending that is also helpful.

Although not entirely comprehensive the neuroscience tutorial at the Washington University website is pretty good for brain anatomy (link).

Thanks mpp! :thumbup: I will look into that Atlas you mentioned. I agree with the MRI information. I had an attending go through it with me, and it helped alot. I have a hard time visualizing the facet joints on MRI, with associated abnormalities. Maybe I'll also check into a radiology text.

mpp said:
The Brain Atlas by Woolsley is pretty good. The choice would depend on what you want it for. If it is for your neuroanatomy courses then you should see what your upperclassmen recommend. The Netter is alright. The Ciba collections can be hit or miss. The only ones I have seen are the old ones which are essentially the Netter Atlas.

Woolsley is awesome for both neuroanatomy and as a tool for getting a first glance at diagnostics, IMHO. It is one of the texts in my M1 Med Neuro course, along with Nadeau (which I highly recommend to those interested in learning what we know regarding neurological function).

Nothing compares to dissection. :)