Neuro book to rock step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dave262

Hey ive got about 94 hours of time that im budgeting for studying for Neuro for step 1 this summer. Whats a good textbook?

Ive tried the BRS and it totally sucked.

Members don't see this ad.

Is that 94 hours you're going to spend in total for studying, or just on neuro? If it's just neuro, that's some serious overkill.

Anyway, to answer your question, High Yield Neuroanatomy was excellent. I've never even looked at a neuro textbook.

dave262 said:
Hey ive got about 94 hours of time that im budgeting for studying for Neuro for step 1 this summer. Whats a good textbook?

Ive tried the BRS and it totally sucked.

Please do not waste this much time studying Neuro. I spent 3 hours reading Neuro Anatomy made Ridiculously Simple and neuro was one of my highest areas on Step 1 even though I did not do very well in my neuro class 1st year. Neuro makes up a small part of Step 1 and the questions do not require an incredibly deep understanding of the material. Please don't spend 90+ hrs studying it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought HY Neuro was one of the best of the series. You can read the whole thing in a day or two and feel pretty confident.

yes HY neuroanatomy is a terrific book. but dont get caught up trying to memorize everything in it. some of the locating defects and specific syndromes, cerebellar pathways are low yield. there is a ton of info in that book its just so condensed. but do make sure you feel comfortable w/ the anatomy pictures in the front of the book.

HY Neuro is a magnificent book but if you feel like you need just a bit more substance or clarification then Neuroanatomy by Crossman is an easy 175 page read. Lots of colored pictures and clinical examples.