neuro/diag rad/neurorad combined programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adawaal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering whether anyone had interviewed at or considered any of the triple board neurorad residency programs and had any thoughts to share.....

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am familiar with the program at NYU. I would say that it is a decent program. The chairman at NYU is a neurorad and came recently from UPenn and has recruited several great faculty.

I think that to do these programs you must be 100% committed to do Neuro/Neuro interventional in academic radiology. If you have an thoughts about going into private practice, you're better off doing the traditional route and getting a firmer, longer, broader exposure in general radiology. 2 years of neuro, 2 years of rads, then 3 years of neurorads/interventional is about what most programs require. 2 years to do all of diagnostic rads excluding neuro is intense to say the least. You're skills as a general radiologist will suffer. If your willing to study intensly it's still possible to be competent.

In private practice you will be expected to read general rads, CT/MRI/US plain films, and mammo (and maybe simple IR) probably about anywhere from 30-70% of your time and then taking general radiology call at night. If you have any doubts about doing soley neurointerventional and being basically in academics, then think hard about which path is better for you.