Neuro interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USIMGgrad

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had recieved any interviews for neurology programs? Is it still too early? When will most programs start inviting? I have only recieved one so far.

Members don't see this ad.

I received an interview invite from Baylor:clap:
I haven't heard from anyone else yet.

Anyone have helpful info about Baylor's program?

Thanks

My good friend got interviews at MGH and Northwestern so far. No word yet from the 18 (!) other programs to which she applied.

bpkurtz

Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to ask you guys about the average number of prelims one should apply to for neuro?

and can you also apply to transitional programs?

Another thing I would like to ask is that since so many specialties need a prelim year would it be unethical to apply to categorical IM programs also to increase your chances of matching? Obviously, you would be lying to the PD about your plans and that you would leave their program after the first year.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on this issue?

Thanks

got one from cleveland clinic today. They recieved my CAS on 9/19.

Was it an email or US mail?

I was wondering......

- How many prelim/transitional programs do most neuro applicants apply to?

-Does anyone apply to a bunch of 'safe' prgrams (not very highly ranked progrmas that you are quite likely to match)? If so, how many?

Thanks in advance and Good Luck to you all !!!

I applied to 23 neuro programs and I am applying to 20 prelims and 9 TY's. I dont really know the competitiveness of the programs I am applying to.

Hope this helps!

I applied to about 16 prelim programs all over the country, both community and university based. I have so far recieved one interview invite from my own home school. Some programs that I applied to aren't necessary "safety" school, but they have pretty cushy lifestyle.

Thanks for your input, USIMGgrad and kasimagore1 .

I appreciate it !

Good Luck with your interviews.

Frankly, I don't know the competitiveness of the programs that I applied to, either. I did quite some research when I applied to the 30 neuro programs....but the prelim ones were more like an "after-thought" for me....just some place to stay for a year before the real thing. It would be nice if there are more integrated programs out there so that I don't need to randomly apply to all these programs for no particular reasons. I also worry that if these prelim programs offer interviews to me before the neuro programs do. It would be a total waste of my money and time if I go to one of these interviews and end up not having neuro interview from that city. I am sure many people face the similar dilemma. Maybe most prelim programs would not offer interview too early to make our life easier.....I hate my impulse to check email every so often........ :confused:

Thanks for your thoughts Kasimagore1.

I got my first rejection letter - from Mayo, Jacksonville. Does anyone know if all the Mayo hospitals are hard to get into or does it vary with Mayo Rochester being the hardest?

I did a lot of research pror to applying to the 30 programs, I applied to. One fo the criteria I looked at when applying was if they offered a PGY1 position. I too had no clue as to the competitiveness of the programs except for what US News published this year. I dunno if that is valid for us applying to residency programs.....

I too hope that the neuro programs get in touch with us sooner than the prelim ones.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard of or knows anyone getting 'pre-matched' in Neuro? I hear its quite rampant in many of the other fields.

Good luck again!

Members don't see this ad :)
got one from Mayo via regular mail, and Iowa via email, today.
I haven't heard anything from east or west coast programs....I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that I am attending a medical school in the midwest. Does anyone know much about the Iowa program besides that Dr. Damasio is THE world famous expert in neuro-behavior/neuro-cognitive studies?

Congrats on your interview at Mayo and Iowa.

Sorry i really dont know.

Hi guys,

kasimagore1: Congrats on your interview at Mayo and Iowa. I guess Mayo - Rochester doesn't like me. I already got a rejection letter from them.

Have you guys gotten any prelim interviews yet without your LOR's? Most of the programs have retrieved my CAF, Profile, USMLE and PS but I have not heard anything from anyone yet. My LOR's are on it's way and should be transmitted in a few days.

Should I be concerned?:(

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

USIMG - when I contacted Mayo Rochester - they said that foreign graduates would need to do some kind of fellowship with them before being considered.

As for prelim, ERAS uploaded my completed application over 2 weeks ago. Most programs downloaded my material quite recently and there are 2 programs that have not downloaded my info as yet !!!
I figure they are more concerened with the categorical IM applicants. I dont know anyone who is applying for prelim that has been invited for an interview.

:rolleyes:

Hi I thought I'd contribute my info on how many programs Ive been offered an interview to date. I applied through SFMatch early. Aug 12. I have 7 to date and have applied to numerous programs. Too many to count. Here are the programs:

1). Tulane
2) Tufts
3). Wisconsin
4). U MIch.
5). Suny Down State
6). Albany
7). One more I forgot the place

My question to you guys is this: I still finished my ERAS app and plan on sending it in this week. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could tell me briefly how to go about doing this. Do I need to correspond my apps to the Prelim med spots at the same places Ive gotten interviews at? I'm assuming that is the case. the reason I ask is because of the cost involved. Or should I just send out as many PGY1 apps as possible like I did for SFMATCH? I would really appreciate any feedback. email: [email protected] Thanks and Im glad to have found this forum.

Hi,
Anybody out there got an interview from Thomas Jefferson univ, Univ of Illinois Peoria or Univ of Oklahoma. I also got interviews from Univ of Miami, and Univ of Wisconsin, but I might go for those.
thanks for the info
Sri

SORRY I DIDN'T APPLY TO ANY OF THOSE PROGRAMS YOU MENTIONED.

Thanks mate, all the best.

Sriank

I have an interview scheduled at Thomas Jefferson in December. I also have one at UW-Madison in about a week and a half. I did not apply to the other three programs you listed, but I did visit U of I-Peoria. Their program seemd quite good.

Does anyone know anything about Drexel's program?

Thanks

gmoney:

Nice to hear from somebody with similar offers. I am going to Thomas Jeff in Nov. I got a call from Drexel, cant get a date in Nov, and I have to get a date in Nov as I working outside states right now. So did u think Univ of Ill, peoria was good? I havent booked my interview there. I did bit of search on net, sounds pretty ok, but obv' if you see place I guess u get a better picture.
Drexel sounds very good, if you go by their info on the net, the PD seems really keen and enthusiastic in making the whole residency, resident friendly. I must confess I havent looked a lot into fellow oppurtunities when I try to dig stuff.
It was nice to hear from u, will let u know if I get more info.
Thanks mate, all the best.

Sri

Sriank:

I have my Drexel interview on Friday, which is why I was wondering more about the program. All I really know is the info on their website.

With regard to the U of I-Peoria program, I think it really depends on what you're looking for. I've been in Champaign-Urbana for 13 years (100 miles from Peoria). Comparitively Peoria is more like a real city, but is still pretty small, especially if you're looking at places like Philadelphia and Miami. I visited the Peoria program as part of an effort on the part of the U of I campuses in Peoria and Champaign-Urbana to utilize each other as resourses. I was pretty impressed with the Neurology department in Peoria. I think that there are plently of better programs, but the all-in-all it seemed that one could be quite happy there. They are the center for the Illinois Institue of Neurology (or something like that). They have quite a lot of reasearch money. They seem to be a huge research advocate and the PD (Dr. Kattah) is also very enthusiastic. They also have a pretty impressive neurosurgery residency, including skull base work, and an interesting neurosurgery lab as well as a number of fellowsips.

Hope this helps some.

gmoney

gmoney:

How did your interview at Drexel go? Thanks for the info on peoria, after I read your stuff I booked an interview. I will see what I make of the place when I get there. Ofcourse what they make of me is just as important.

Sri

I just got an invite from Mayo Jacksonville. Has anyone interviewed there already? Thanks:clap: :clap: :clap:

Has anyone heard from UCSD or University of South Florida?

Thanks for all the suggestions and help so far, especially gmoney, kasimagore1 and sriank.

I got interviews from the following programs

University of Illinois - Chicago (email)
University of Texas - Galveston (email)
SUNY - Upstate (Mail)

How quickly should we respond to these interview offers ?? I got all the interviews last week and I did not check them in time since I was busy with my STEP 2, which I am fortunately done with. Is it possible to reschedule the interviews at a later point in time if there is a conflict??

If any of you have any input regarding the above programs, please let me know.

Thanks!
img_usmle.

P.S: I am yet to apply for PGY 1 internal medicine preliminary programs. If any of you have any input on IMG friendly and easy to get into preliminary programs, please do let me know.

img_usmle,

Congrats on the interviews! I wouldn't worry about rescheduling. My philosophy has been to schedule them as they come in and rearrange as necessary.

I interviewed at UIC. Seems to have a strong clinical program. IMG friendly...mostly IMG residents. All get fellowships, primarily in Chicago. Residents seemed happy. They're getting a new chairman (Dr. Gorelick from Rush). He's bringing in a lot of research and research money and will be starting up a more substantial neurointersivist program. He's also bringing some additional faculty/staff with him. Most of this info is on their website.

Don't know anything about the other two programs.

Good luck!
gmoney