Neuro & Micro Shelf???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gr42

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody taken the Neuroscience or Microbiology subject boards?? What are the best review books to use to study???? At my school we have to take them at the end of this month but as usual we only get a few days to study and I want to know what is the best way to get ready. Any input will be very much appreciated. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I remember the microbiology shelf being pretty detailed such as asking about surface proteins and the like. I think most people in my class used Medical Microbiology & Immunology: Examination & Board Review (Appleton & Lange). The book is kind of long so I don't know if you will get much use of it in a few days. Another book I know of is of course Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple, but it may not be detailed enough.

The people that actually got through the Appleton book found that they were fully prepared for the test.

Neuro - Neuro HY, First Aid (Even the CNS sections in Micro, Path, Pharm), Neuro Made Ridicuolously Simple - got a raw 87, adjusted 99. U might want to add BRS behavioral science for sleep, and other things that are HY. Be prepared for AIDs and Diabetes related Neuro Q.

Micro - Did micro q in Qbook. Micro Made Rid. Simple and First AID. First Aid is good cus alot of my questions could be found in FA in some shape or form. If u got time, maybe learn some molecular bio -I got like 5 q on my test dealing w PCR,DNA tests, rest. enzyme - got a raw 80, adj 93.

Im studying for step 1 right now, and the Appleton Lange book by Michael King is really good. It has sections for Micro, Anatomy, etc... as well as comp exams. These q are the closest to what Ive seen on the NBMEs so these q might be good practice.

later

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice, please keep them coming. I need all the suggestions I can get!!!!!!!!!!

Gr42 said:
Has anybody taken the Neuroscience or Microbiology subject boards?? What are the best review books to use to study???? At my school we have to take them at the end of this month but as usual we only get a few days to study and I want to know what is the best way to get ready. Any input will be very much appreciated. Thanks!!

I would tell you first aid is the best for the microbiology, but you will also need something to supplement your knowledge of immunology, because whether your school takes that extra section or not, you will need to know that information in order to do well on that shelf exam. it may seem like first aid is not enough, but there is just so much to know that if you just focus on memorizing everything in first aid, you will knock the bottom out of this exam. hope this helps. i used high yield for the neuroscience, and i thought that was average in terms of its capacity to prepare me for the exam/

i memorized the charts in micro made simple and memorized the FA micro section. this got me a raw 83 which is probably the 90 something percentile. i urge you to memorize every little detail in FA. there is stuff in there you would just never get otherwise. also read the FA immuno section even if you are not taking the micro+immuno exam. we took the straight micro exam and had at least 10-20% immuno questions in there anyway.

i read high yield neuro twice and got a raw 99. if you know everything in this book, there are very few questions that you will not be able to answer. classmates of mine also said that many questions in the comprehensive final of brs neuro were similar to those on the test.