Sep 17, 2015
Status
Psychology Student
Hi everyone,

I'm a 3rd year in a Clinical Psychology PhD program and I will be pursuing a neuropsych internshiph in two years. I have a question regarding how to best prepare for a neuropsych internship. Due to scheduling conflicts and time limitations, I need to choose between taking a neuro-related course (neuroanatomy) or doing an external neuropsych practicum. I just can't do both. I have already completed two, one-year neuropsych practicums and am currently doing a third, so the opportunity in question would be my fourth. My question is, how important is coursework to internship sites when considering applicants?

Hope you can help me. Thanks.

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
Tough to say without knowing your full application and prior coursework, research experience, and clinical hours breakdown. At the moment I'd lean towards the coursework. But, what do your clinical hours look like at the moment and going forward? And, what other neuro coursework do you have?

OP
P
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Psychology Student
Tough to say without knowing your full application and prior coursework, research experience, and clinical hours breakdown. At the moment I'd lean towards the coursework. But, what do your clinical hours look like at the moment and going forward? And, what other neuro coursework do you have?
I currently have 215 neuropsych assessment hours split between geriatric and general adult populations, 45 therapy hours, and 31 reports. (All of these will continue to increase obviously.) My previous graduate coursework includes clinical assessment, biological foundations of behavior, and I will take neuropsych assessment in the spring. About research: I have 3 first-author pubs in neuroimaging and neuropsych journals, 3 second-author pubs, and more than 15 posters.

I'm surprised your initial thought was for me to take the course given coursework is often not a priority.

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
Well, coursework is not a priority if clinical needs to be taken care of first. I assumed your two practica would have netted you more hours than you listed, so now I'm split a little more the practicum way now. I would say that if you feel neuroanatomy is a big weakness area, go that way, otherwise I'd go with the practicum. Plenty of good postdocs will offer formal neuroanatomy through med schools and whatnot anyway.

OP
P
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Psychology Student
Gotcha.

Should I be concerned about how many (or how few, I guess) hours I have? I thought I was on a good pace...

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
On a good pace for assessment considering your year and assuming you will apply in your 5th year. Hard to tell without knowing the particulars of your practica and assumed hours etc. Therapy hours are pretty low. What are you planning on having by the time you apply?

OP
P
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Psychology Student
On a good pace for assessment considering your year and assuming you will apply in your 5th year. Hard to tell without knowing the particulars of your practica and assumed hours etc. Therapy hours are pretty low. What are you planning on having by the time you apply?
Yes, I'll apply my 5th year. Because I've always been a neuro-focused student, I haven't been on a traditional psychotherapy praticum team until this year. So right now I am on a therapy praticum AND a neuropsych assessment team concurrently. My plan is to have ~600 assessment hours by the time applications are due. I would consider my neuro practica to be very high quality with a lot of diverse populations and opportunities to administer a lot of measures.

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
The assessment hours will be fine as long as they have a good letter or two attached and are at good sites. Looks like you'll be in ok shape with therapy, I look for a bare minimum of 150-200 hours for neuro focused students.

OP
P
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Psychology Student
The assessment hours will be fine as long as they have a good letter or two attached and are at good sites. Looks like you'll be in ok shape with therapy, I look for a bare minimum of 150-200 hours for neuro focused students.
This is great information. Often times I read that I need "x amount of face-to-face hours" but I never knew what the breakdown was between assessment and tberapy because they're both face-to-face. Thank you for answering my questions. I better get going on my therapy hours!

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
You should be fine, if you want an idea of average hours for things, APPIC has some of those stats. You can also check out a few internship sites that you may be interested in and see what they list as minimum hours needed for each for applicants to see the spread.