Neuro vs IM -- Pros and Cons ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DulQa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone can shed some light when comparing the two.

Job market, work-life balance, compensation, and patient population are a few aspects I am trying to discuss for fresh MDs. Personal interest in any is not a factor.

Members don't see this ad.

This question has been addressed so many times. Just use search function, and you will see lots of discussion, recent and old.

But one thing I can say is that the biggest "Pro" of any branch is "your interest". If you feel the passion inside you for any branch, then I think it should be the biggest factor driving your choice and decisions.

Rest of factors (like you mentioned, Job market, work-life balance, compensation, and patient population) are probably secondary (trust me, no doctor of any branch sleeps hungry or passes out in the hospital due to workload;but surely many sleep unsatisfied because of choosing branch based on secondary factors, and not on passion and interest) and you will get varied answers from different people. But surely there is no harm in making an informed decision.

Btw, if one line can summarize it, I will put it like this -

"Clinical Neurology is nothing but Internal Medicine of Nervous System and Muscles."

(Note that I have written Clinical Neurology. If you factor in Neuroscience part of Neurology, then its a whole different beast.)

Last edited: