Neuroanat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
yo I dunno how to study this stuff. It's too low yield. There's too much information. I can't remember all the million different palsies and lesions. Can't find any good resources on it; Netter's anat flash cards got me through gross but there's nothing like that for this. I find self quizzing (usually flash cards, sometimes websites if they're good) to be the most efficient studying method. What did you guys use for it? I could use brute force method and sit and stare for hours and hours but I hate studying like that, it's primitive

My test has other stuff on it besides anat--some neurophys, psych, path, pharm. Can I safely ignore neuroanat and only consult 1st aid for it? Is neuro high yield for rotations or step 1? I use 1st aid to study for all my tests and its usually a solid resource

If my highlighter is not moving or is moving far too much then I know I'm not absorbing and that's how I'm feeling about this material. k I know I recently posted my lacking challenge thread and that is sincerely how I felt for the last several months, basically everything since gross but now anat's back and I'm pissed as somehow it takes a diff studying approach

Members don't see this ad.

It will be on Step 1 beyond the scope of First Aid although it is not a huge part of the test.

Interpreting neuro findings on the wards is difficult if you don't understand the underlying neuroanatomy. Instead of focusing on memorization of different lesions, learn the pathways very well and figure out why the manifestations of each type of lesion is predictable and makes sense.

Low yield? You don't have a straight neuroanatomy test? Luck you.

Although I generally hate the series with a passion, the "Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple" book worked for me. Other classmates liked the coloring book.

There's no real great reference book for this subject if you don't enjoy it already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pathways pathways pathways. Draw them out. Trace them from the bottom to the top and back again in different colors. Then memorize the cranial nerve nuclei and you're pretty much set.
If you CAN, use Sylvius. It's pretty much the only thing that got me through Neuro (1% below the cut-off for for honors. :( But I'm not bitter.)
http://www.sylvius.com/PRO/

Low yield? You don't have a straight neuroanatomy test? Luck you.

Although I generally hate the series with a passion, the "Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple" book worked for me. Other classmates liked the coloring book.

There's no real great reference book for this subject if you don't enjoy it already.

No kidding, my neuro course counted as much as embryo and histo combined and utilized killer 100-question stand alone exams and lab practicals. I read HY Neuro and used Haines Atlas and as a coloring book basically. Like gross though, there's really no getting around the rote memorization. I hear from different people on here that neuro is either very low yield or moderately important for Step I; I guess it depends on your exam version.

Pathways pathways pathways. Draw them out. Trace them from the bottom to the top and back again in different colors. Then memorize the cranial nerve nuclei and you're pretty much set.

Totally agree. Repeat/redraw pathways ad naseum. Can't wait to take that monster again :scared:

yo I dunno how to study this stuff. It's too low yield. There's too much information. I can't remember all the million different palsies and lesions. Can't find any good resources on it; Netter's anat flash cards got me through gross but there's nothing like that for this. I find self quizzing (usually flash cards, sometimes websites if they're good) to be the most efficient studying method. What did you guys use for it? I could use brute force method and sit and stare for hours and hours but I hate studying like that, it's primitive

My test has other stuff on it besides anat--some neurophys, psych, path, pharm. Can I safely ignore neuroanat and only consult 1st aid for it? Is neuro high yield for rotations or step 1? I use 1st aid to study for all my tests and its usually a solid resource

If my highlighter is not moving or is moving far too much then I know I'm not absorbing and that's how I'm feeling about this material. k I know I recently posted my lacking challenge thread and that is sincerely how I felt for the last several months, basically everything since gross but now anat's back and I'm pissed as somehow it takes a diff studying approach

draw the anatomy over and over. Keep drawing different parallel cross sections. Find stuff outside of Netters that will help you see it in 3D. Then draw some more. As someone mentioned, especially the tracts.

I think that I'm the only one in my class who uses the Netter neuro atlas. I like it, but most prefer Haines.

Any comments on High Yield or BRS Neuro?

yes, high yield is god-sent! i def. recommend it. its not gonna give you EVERY pathway and it lacks on some neuro physio, but it highlights the main ones! Its the backbone of my studying. i recommend using it as a base and then searching other texts for the details...end of the day, it will pass u on the neuro subject board (if u take those).

Any comments on High Yield or BRS Neuro?

I really liked BRS neuro. It draws out the pathways very clearly, and breaks down the neuro disease states/syndromes to manageable pieces. It was better for the actual class, I think, although maybe too dense for Step 1.

You can't really go wrong if you use High Yield or the BRS - they're written by the same guy. I think that they're both good.

High Yield and BRS huh--sweet, I will check these out as I'm only interested in passing the test and don't care for this subject otherwise. High yield looks nice and short, i hope barnes has it. thx guys, this is precisely what i was looking for actually, concise resource sans minutiae

placed side by side with subjects like psych and behavioral sciences i just cant see how neuro can be comparatively high yield for the Step

I found the Netter's atlas of neuroanatomy to be very helpful. If you want alot of practive questions, the pretest series (neuroscience) has a ton of great questions.

Good Luck! :luck:

High Yield and BRS huh--sweet, I will check these out as I'm only interested in passing the test and don't care for this subject otherwise. High yield looks nice and short, i hope barnes has it. thx guys, this is precisely what i was looking for actually, concise resource sans minutiae

placed side by side with subjects like psych and behavioral sciences i just cant see how neuro can be comparatively high yield for the Step

I'm sure Amazon has them if barnes doesn't. Just make sure you use it as a supplement rather than a sole source of info though -- there might not be enough course specific info to pass every neuroanatomy class in those guides (they are good painless ways to pick up a few points here and there and get a nice overview, but rarely enough, stand alone, unless your course truly "teaches to the boards"). While I liked HY, I felt it only got me half way to the end zone. Plan to spend a ton of time with a good atlas learning to differentiate which fuzzy gray spot is which nucleus/structure based on obscure landmarks.

FWIW, I'm not sure how you can "not care for this subject otherwise" but think you want a career in path or rads -- the brain is not an insignificant part of these specialties -- while the grade is not critical, the subject matter will come up in these fields (the course I had was largely taught by the path and rads department, in fact).

I'm sure Amazon has them if barnes doesn't. Just make sure you use it as a supplement rather than a sole source of info though -- there might not be enough course specific info to pass every neuroanatomy class in those guides (they are good painless ways to pick up a few points here and there and get a nice overview, but rarely enough, stand alone, unless your course truly "teaches to the boards"). While I liked HY, I felt it only got me half way to the end zone. Plan to spend a ton of time with a good atlas learning to differentiate which fuzzy gray spot is which nucleus/structure based on obscure landmarks.

FWIW, I'm not sure how you can "not care for this subject otherwise" but think you want a career in path or rads -- the brain is not an insignificant part of these specialties -- while the grade is not critical, the subject matter will come up in these fields (the course I had was largely taught by the path and rads department, in fact).

This is very good advice!

I just bought High Yield, and L2D's comments ring true. This book seems to be a solid review book, but definitely not first pass material.